The Politics Thread 2019

Day

4 minutes ago, cstand said:

New leader, tell EU we are leaving as per the referendum WTO rules, job done. 

You know it still has to get through parliament though right? I mean it would be silly to try and over-simplify such a complicated situation ...

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, cstand said:

"WTO Rules" is the new "Unicorns for all". Good luck with that. Unfortunately, the only way that people such as yourself will realise that approach would be an unmitigated disaster is for us to do it. To tell the truth, I actually hope we do, just to see the consequences of such utter stupidity.

2 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Whoever the next Tory leader is - this is still going nowhere. They elect a hard-brexiteer and they will never get No-Deal through parliament. Elect another remainer and they will fail just like May has.

No agreement means no deal the EU will throw us out, the happy days. 

11 minutes ago, cstand said:

Won't get through parliament.  Relationship is too complicated, such as the UK border with the ROI, just to name one.

10 minutes ago, cstand said:

No agreement means no deal the EU will throw us out, the happy days. 

Well, the drag that Britain has placed on them over the last 3 years might make that an attractive proposition to some countries in the EU, but didn't you Brexiteers maintain that

a) Britain leaving the EU would hurt them more than it would hurt us

and

b) they only want us for our money?

Couple that with the fact that there is no mechanism within EU governance for any member state to be expelled. Democracy doesn't work that way and the EU, if nothing else, is democratic, despite your protestations.

I guess that's another thing that you haven't thought through very clearly.

The favourite to become our next Prime Minister. As over the last three years he's been shown to be a liar and a cheat. Someone who as done more u-turns, more changes of direction in the support of May, his own party and government. He was shown as inept and ineffectual while holding the post of Foreign Secretary. A man more concerned about himself than that of the country.

Is this really the person that we want to be hand this country's highest office.

23 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

You know it still has to get through parliament though right? I mean it would be silly to try and over-simplify such a complicated situation ...

No. no no. no.

You've got it all wrong.

There will be Blue Birds Over the White Cliffs of Dover; a massive kipper fleet will appear on the horizon in sight of Whitby and all the coastal towns' unemployment issues will simply evaporate in one great fishy burp; the oil rich nations of the world will succumb to a huge tartan bobble hat and Eccles cake addiction and for the merest whiff of Kendal Mint Cake offer us as much crude oil as we can guzzle.

India, Canada, Ceylon, Mesopotamia, Persia and the Levant will come begging for trade deals. In fact they will beg us to reinstate the Empire, although I doubt we have enough explorers and missionaries -  but the education system can ramp up Geography and RE studies I guess.

Tomorrow is a Lovely Day.

1 hour ago, cstand said:

We started this process by saying that Germany and the EU won't let us leave without a deal - we're far too important to the EU to let us leave and lose all the sales of German cars.

That didn't work, so now we're saying leave without a deal and we'll be able to get a good deal after we've left.

If we couldn't get something that consensus thinks was a good deal ahead of leaving, what makes you think we'll do better after we've left with no agreement?

8 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

If we couldn't get something that consensus thinks was a good deal ahead of leaving, what makes you think we'll do better after we've left with no agreement?

Oooh Sir! Me Sir! I know this one....is it

"a complete inability to do logic" ?

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

Won't get through parliament.  Relationship is too complicated, such as the UK border with the ROI, just to name one.

It doesn't need to. If we can't agree anything before 31st October, then the legal default position now is that we're leaving on that date.

I suspect that we'll need to ask for another extension of 12 months, while we have either/both of General election or second referendum. Or revoke A50 and cancel Brexit altogether.

The EU could just run the clock down & not agree to an extension - and I wouldn't blame them if they did. They must be as sick of it as we are. The choice would then be No Deal or No Brexit. Parliament would choose no Brexit in that scenario - which is what the EU wanted all along.

So there's no incentive now for the EU to even answer the phone any more.

Our spineless polictians voted to not to leave the EU without a deal then expect the EU to give us a decent deal, madness. They have backed us into a corner the only choice now is to leave as per the referendum which leave won. The choice was leave or remain not leave with a deal or remain.

1 minute ago, cstand said:

Our spineless polictians voted to not to leave the EU without a deal then expect the EU to give us a decent deal, madness. They have backed us into a corner the only choice now is to leave as per the referendum which leave won. The choice was was leave or remain not leave with a deal or remain.

It wasn't Leave without a deal or Remain either.

1 hour ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

No. no no. no.

You've got it all wrong.

There will be Blue Birds Over the White Cliffs of Dover; a massive kipper fleet will appear on the horizon in sight of Whitby and all the coastal towns' unemployment issues will simply evaporate in one great fishy burp; the oil rich nations of the world will succumb to a huge tartan bobble hat and Eccles cake addiction and for the merest whiff of Kendal Mint Cake offer us as much crude oil as we can guzzle.

India, Canada, Ceylon, Mesopotamia, Persia and the Levant will come begging for trade deals. In fact they will beg us to reinstate the Empire, although I doubt we have enough explorers and missionaries -  but the education system can ramp up Geography and RE studies I guess.

Was going to give one of these ? as it was so funny. But because so many people have been duped into believing the lies told by our  politicians that there'll be convinced this is true. It as to be one of these?.

14 minutes ago, Monty said:

It was under the Conservatives that we joined what was then the Common Market in the first place 

And we were desperate to do so. The country was crumbling at the time as our exports were not competitive so we needed somewhere to sell our goods.

The Conservatives today bear increasingly little resemblance to the Conservatives then. I was reading an FT article that said that 50 years ago the Conservative party had 2.7m members with Labour at less than 1m. Now Labour is still less than 1m at about 600k, BUT the conservatives are at 124k, with an average age of 71.

It is not a representative party of the UK population any more.

1 hour ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

No. no no. no.

You've got it all wrong.

?

Archived