The Politics Thread 2019

David

4 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

No old bean. Quite familiar with the term. Have been paid out bonuses twice on tech companies at point of IPO.

Anyone with an ounce of sense is bored to death of you posting the same rubbish again and again too. Give it a rest.

You're 7 for 7 aren't you this past week.  ?

No people are sick of the lie that the NHS is for sale. 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Do you know everyone that you have stood next to in you line of work?

I've worked with literally hundreds of people through the years that I do not know.

They had a breakfast meeting less than six months ago FFS. If he can't even recall several meetings with a member of a royal family, nor the breakfast meetings, nor the nights out in NYC prior to his Presidency, then we'd best remove his finger from the big red button in case he forgets what that's for too.

He's lying. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it.  Sorry that doesn't suit the narrative but your key witness is a bullshitter through and through. Next the press will be asking why would he pretend not to know Prince Andrew?

Hmmmm...

6 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

They had a breakfast meeting less than six months ago FFS. If he can't even recall several meetings with a member of a royal family, nor the breakfast meetings, nor the nights out in NYC prior to his Presidency, then we'd best remove his finger from the big red button in case he forgets what that's for too.

He's lying. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it.  Sorry that doesn't suit the narrative but your key witness is a bullshitter through and through. Next the press will be asking why would he pretend not to know Prince Andrew?

Hmmmm...

Do you think meeting a minor member of a royal family is a big thing for POTUS?

The general narrative seems to be that Johnson and Trump can be called liars for everything they say with no evidence required, yet Corbyn is free to say what he wants without recourse and, when his supporters are pulled up on it, deflect the attention back to Johnson and Trump.

These same people are the same people spitting feathers when Johnson refuses an interview. Now why would they be bothered about him being interviewed if  nothing he says is true anyway?

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Do you think meeting a minor member of a royal family is a big thing for POTUS?

The general narrative seems to be that Johnson and Trump can be called liars for everything they say with no evidence required, yet Corbyn is free to say what he wants without recourse and, when his supporters are pulled up on it, deflect the attention back to Johnson and Trump.

These same people are the same people spitting feathers when Johnson refuses an interview. Now why would they be bothered about him being interviewed if  nothing he says is true anyway?

So you're actually suggesting that he's telling the truth? That's hilarious.

I'll leave it there in any case. I just thought since you were calling out Corbyn as a liar citing Trump's latest line in BS as the proof, that a quick pointer as to the reliability of anything that comes out of his mouth might be in order. If you want to try and convince yourself otherwise, fill your boots for all I care.

20 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Hmmmm...

That sounds very rude

9 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Article is behind a paywall.

It wasn't when I posted it but is now ?

Basically a balanced argument about public ownership within the EU. About state intervention not being allowed. But how most major EU nations have state owned railways already. Already being the key word. But that's the only good example. How there is a possibility with the railways. Nothing on Royal Mail or utilities being even remotely accessible. How Labours plan might work with the railways, buying up franchises. Which would mean being the highest bidder, every single time. No outright purchase. Because the European court of human rights would protect a business from compulsory purchases, etc. Anti competition laws, etc. 

There are many hurdles basically. The EU might let Labour purchase some railway franchises but that's about it. It's simply something that wouldn't be allowed to happen for one of a variety of reasons. 

5 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

It wasn't when I posted it but is now ?

Basically a balanced argument about public ownership within the EU. About state intervention not being allowed. But how most major EU nations have state owned railways already. Already being the key word. But that's the only good example. How there is a possibility with the railways. Nothing on Royal Mail or utilities being even remotely accessible. How Labours plan might work with the railways, buying up franchises. Which would mean being the highest bidder, every single time. No outright purchase. Because the European court of human rights would protect a business from compulsory purchases, etc. Anti competition laws, etc. 

There are many hurdles basically. The EU might let Labour purchase some railway franchises but that's about it. It's simply something that wouldn't be allowed to happen for one of a variety of reasons. 

The rail franchise system operates throughout the EU.

It doesn't prevent the 100% German state owned operator running 97% of rail services in Germany, for instance.

While also running some of ours, and Derby and others local bus services too through Arriva, using the money they make to subsidise their own railways.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Do you know everyone that you have stood next to in you line of work?

I've worked with literally hundreds of people through the years that I do not know.

And I have been at dozens of orgies with teenage girls* - am I supposed to remember the names of all the other fellas??

*I have not Constable - it was a joke

2 hours ago, Uptherams said:

Go back and read it all again. 

It's a shame I can't go all the way back and read the old politics thread - the bit where you authoritatively told us that Theresa May would win a commanding majority in the 2017 election and totally wipe-out Corbyn/Labour. You sounded so convincing! As usual

Just now, reverendo de duivel said:

The rail franchise system operates throughout the EU.

It doesn't prevent the 100% German state owned operator running 97% of rail services in Germany, for instance.

While also running some of ours, and Derby and others local bus services too through Arriva, using the money they make to subsidise their own railways.

Which is what I was discussing. There is no scope for anything other than Railway franchises and there is no clear plan on how Labour would offer a better, cheaper service, without it breaching anti competition laws, state intervention and other ECHR laws.

This isn't something that could happen overnight or even in one election cycle. 

1 minute ago, SchtivePesley said:

It's a shame I can't go all the way back and read the old politics thread - the bit where you authoritatively told us that Theresa May would win a commanding majority in the 2017 election and totally wipe-out Corbyn/Labour. You sounded so convincing! As usual

She blew a huge lead. That's on her. It was quite remarkable. But also the UKIP voters are not going back to Labour this time round. This isn't a we will all honour the referendum GE like last time. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2017/may/08/general-election-2017-poll-tracker-who-is-in-the-lead

Check the poll tracker out from then and now.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2019/oct/31/uk-general-election-2019-poll-tracker

There isn't enough time to even close the gap. 

Archived