The Politics Thread 2019

David

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst there may be a point in this social media thing, I'm not sure it's completely relevant in this election campaign. 

Corbyn and Abbott and Thornberry and who ever else opens their mouth is doing far more damage than anything social media could come up with. 

3 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

There is a great documentary on Netflix about these social platforms and how they are manipulated.. I will try and dig it out, well worth a watch.

Just found it ? The Great Hack.

Will be interested on your take on this. I haven't actually watched it yet, but from what I've read/heard about it, it's not good viewing if you believe in democracy and are worried that shady rich people/groups massively influenced Brexit/Trump wins without any accountability.  Fingers crossed @Angry Ram comes back a changed person!

24 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Will be interested on your take on this. I haven't actually watched it yet, but from what I've read/heard about it, it's not good viewing if you believe in democracy and are worried that shady rich people/groups massively influenced Brexit/Trump wins without any accountability.  Fingers crossed @Angry Ram comes back a changed person!

It’s a good watch, I watched it some time ago. Just find it amazing how easily people fall for this poo.. Bit like the bus..

You cant blame whoever for taking advantage of these loopholes. The whole social media thing needs regulation.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

It’s a good watch, I watched it some time ago. Just find it amazing how easily people fall for this poo.. Bit like the bus..

You cant blame whoever for taking advantage of these loopholes. The whole social media thing needs regulation.

I think you can blame them when they are using Russian money and breaking electoral law.

6 hours ago, Norman said:

Labour paying an actress to look like a nurse concerned about Trump buying the NHS. Bit naughty. Went out on BBC and ITV. 

Despite Trump stating 2 weeks a go that it wasn't part of any trade deal. 

And that it's protected in law. 

Laws can be changed. Strangely enough, by governments. 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Laws can be changed. Strangely enough, by governments. 

Must have missed where the Conservatives have tried to change that law, or lobbied for it to be changed, or debated for it to be changed, or put it in a manifesto. 

Any party that tried to change it would be committing political suicide. Not going to happen. 

Project Fear.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Strange that the Conservatives have not already changed the law for saying that they are so desperate to sell off the NHS.

17 minutes ago, Norman said:

Must have missed where the Conservatives have tried to change that law, or lobbied for it to be changed, or debated for it to be changed, or put it in a manifesto. 

Any party that tried to change it would be committing political suicide. Not going to happen. 

Project Fear.

Very strange it's not happened. Maybe wanting to win an election might be major factor why.

If Johnson wins the election, then gets brexit completed. The conservatives will then be able to push through all manner of policies that won't be liked by the majority of the population. They'll be then able to claim that what they are doing, is because of brexit and they're just carrying out the will of the people.

5 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Very strange it's not happened. Maybe wanting to win an election might be major factor why.

If Johnson wins the election, then gets brexit completed. The conservatives will then be able to push through all manner of policies that won't be liked by the majority of the population. They'll be then able to claim that what they are doing, is because of brexit and they're just carrying out the will of the people.

So they've held off doing it for 9 years in the hope of winning the 2019 General Election?

We all know your last paragraph has completely no substance.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So they've held off doing it for 9 years in the hope of winning the 2019 General Election?

The Tories haven't held a majority government for most of that time, so they wouldn't have been able to pass something that monumental even if they tried

No - something like privatising the NHS has to either be done by stealth (as has been happening since Blair) or wholesale in a time of national emergency. They call it disaster capitalism. Now what impending event could pave the way for a good old bit of disaster capitalism?

9 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

To never win another election? 

Labour can win a majority and nationalise it again.

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I remember the uproar when Donald Trump was passing his thoughts on our elections/votes, I assume somebody must be deleting the posts calling out Hilary Clinton and Donald Tusk for the same thing?

I'm already at the point where I'm too depressed about the election to even look at the news. If those pair have been sticking their oars in then they really ought to do one. Like an Leave voter or Boris/Trump fan is going to have their minds changed by them sharing their views?

There. That do you? ?

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I remember the uproar when Donald Trump was passing his thoughts on our elections/votes, I assume somebody must be deleting the posts calling out Hilary Clinton and Donald Tusk for the same thing?

I hope you're right, as it would seem we're powerless to prevent it if that's what Boris and his chums want. Cameron and May were far too centre-right to go for anything so extreme. Boris and Rees-Mogg on the other hand are a different beast entirely. 

I'd recommend people be vigilant. Be ready for the more right-wing leaders of the Tory party to start to enact some of the things they've been interested in for some time now. Yes it's politically dangerous for them, but there's so much money to be made in a private NHS they may think it worth the risk.

In my opinion, Labour are the only party the NHS can be trusted with. I don't trust the Tories, and the Lib Dems have proved they get into bed with the Tories far too easily and are prepared to back down on their own red lines.

Archived