Jump to content

The Politics Thread 2019


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, GboroRam said:

We should go back to the sixties, where the likes of Ronnie and Reggie were around to keep people in line. Didn't have lawlessness back then. 

Always said please and thank-you, asked after your mother they did.

yeah, proper gents.

on a serious note, I think we’re still adapting to kids now being kids until 18. My grandparents were expecting to be contributing economically to the family unit ASAP so they were working from the age of 13 having left school at 12. Life being more of a grind took out more of the average kids energy....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t trust a word the Conservative party says about the NHS. In the days before Brexit dominated everything, the Conservative party repeated during a general election that ‘there will be no more to

The idea we weren't already a self-governing country is laughable. The Tory government were able to impose austerity on the poor due to the bankers been bailed out.  They were able to introduce the be

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

He simply has to lose in 2020.  The prospect of another 4 years of his greed and denial is just too awful to contemplate. 

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/08/26/donald-trump-nations-wealth-wont-traded-dreams-and-windmills/2118191001/

Then the moderates (if there are such) have to up their game and unify.

at present, the Democratic Party candidates are a smorgasbord of the tired failures like Biden who gave rise to trump, and idealistic types who won’t appeal to “middle” America.

hence they will default to Trump.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Highgate said:

He simply has to lose in 2020.  The prospect of another 4 years of his greed and denial is just too awful to contemplate. 

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/08/26/donald-trump-nations-wealth-wont-traded-dreams-and-windmills/2118191001/

As someone who doesnt really have much of an opinion on Trump, other than he seems to try and deliver on promises, I'm genuinely intrigued as to what in the attached article is supposed to show him in a bad light?

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

As someone who doesnt really have much of an opinion on Trump, other than he seems to try and deliver on promises, I'm genuinely intrigued as to what in the attached article is supposed to show him in a bad light?

Being a climate change denier?

Refusing to do anything about it?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

As someone who doesnt really have much of an opinion on Trump, other than he seems to try and deliver on promises, I'm genuinely intrigued as to what in the attached article is supposed to show him in a bad light?

See @sage's post. I thought it would be fairly obvious to be honest.

We've come to the point, after 40 years of politicians ignoring the warnings from the relevant scientific community, where we either act collectively to alter course or we condemn future generations to a dramatically degraded planet.  It's impossible for the world's most powerful and influential country to do anything helpful while they have that narcissistic scientifically illiterate clown at the helm. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Then the moderates (if there are such) have to up their game and unify.

at present, the Democratic Party candidates are a smorgasbord of the tired failures like Biden who gave rise to trump, and idealistic types who won’t appeal to “middle” America.

hence they will default to Trump.

Yeah the Democrats are divided.  But then so were the Republicans during the last election cycle, with the Tea Party section on the one hand and the slightly more sane Republicans on the other.  It's impossible for parties of that size really, given that their are only 2 parties of note in the US, to not have a spectrum of opinions that can form into competing wings.

I share your opinion of Biden, and it's a widely held view that anyone too far to the left (ie, Sanders or Warren) will scare away any undecided voters. But I'm not convinced that either of those candidates would actually lose to Trump even if the election were held tomorrow.  They are two impressive candidates in their own right, much more so than Biden, and do have their own bases to rival Trump's.  The Republicans will try to paint them as almost communists, but each of their individual policy proposals...is actually quite popular when the American public's opinion is polled.  So as they become more well known, they should become less frightening. I think either of them can beat Trump but it will be tight, that's if the economy remains strong.

If the economy takes a downward turn, then Trump is finished. The Democrats could run any candidate they please and they would beat Trump under those conditions. Given that he is the sitting President, he hasn't actually started any wars (somehow) and the economy has been going well, while it rebounds from the last recession, his disapproval rating is actually remarkably high. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Highgate said:

See @sage's post. I thought it would be fairly obvious to be honest.

We've come to the point, after 40 years of politicians ignoring the warnings from the relevant scientific community, where we either act collectively to alter course or we condemn future generations to a dramatically degraded planet.  It's impossible for the world's most powerful and influential country to do anything helpful while they have that narcissistic scientifically illiterate clown at the helm. 

So after 40 years of everyone ignoring the warnings it suddenly becomes Trumps fault? 

Bit harsh to lay the blame at one person's door.

From the article it reads like he is prepared to act but also realises without other countries doing so, their actions are futile.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

So after 40 years of everyone ignoring the warnings it suddenly becomes Trumps fault? 

Bit harsh to lay the blame at one person's door.

From the article it reads like he is prepared to act but also realises without other countries doing so, their actions are futile.

Who has suggested that?  Who would even think that? What's the point in asking such a absurd question?

Trump can only control what the US does. Given his position of power he can influence other countries, but he isn't responsible for what they do or what they don't do. He is even less responsible for what his predecessors did.  Nobody would realistically claim otherwise. 

The point is, as he has made abundantly clear on numerous occasions, he has no interest in the US doing anything to tackle climate change because he fears it will affect the American economy. That's his position and it won't change regardless of what other countries are doing.

Edited by Highgate
Link to post
Share on other sites

Change is coming - whether it's this year, next year or 5 years - it's coming.

The western economic model has created a new generation of young adults who have no stake in society. Inequality is increasing everywhere, people won't keep voting indefinitely for the model that perpetuates that.

What we are seeing now with Trump/Brexit and the polarised right/left culture war is just the beginning

The scary thing is - it's a realistic possibility that the right will win. Halfing the world's population is actually a neat solution to a lot of problems (on paper)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Change is coming - whether it's this year, next year or 5 years - it's coming.

The western economic model has created a new generation of young adults who have no stake in society. Inequality is increasing everywhere, people won't keep voting indefinitely for the model that perpetuates that.

What we are seeing now with Trump/Brexit and the polarised right/left culture war is just the beginning

The scary thing is - it's a realistic possibility that the right will win. Halfing the world's population is actually a neat solution to a lot of problems (on paper)

Not so great if the half that are left need changing twice daily and cannot remember their own names.....if this really is a generational polarisation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Not so great if the half that are left need changing twice daily and cannot remember their own names.....if this really is a generational polarisation.

Hmm - not even sure I know what my point was! I was having an doomsayer's apocalyptic funk 😞

Not sure it's right anyway - as Capitalism is founded on growth and demand. Wiping out half the market would solve the problem of finite raw materials, but only by halfing demand. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of another of capitalism's problem being too many poor people. They don't consume enough and they complain too much

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stagtime said:

If anyone thinks the King of Israel can’t win again should watch the doco The Great Hack. It’s a real eye opener what happened in 2016 and you wonder if they used Brexit as a test for their theories.

It's seriously disturbing for those who don't consider these things. If you've not seen it, check out Snowden from 2016 - see link below - which pretty much confirmed all of my worst fears and went completely unrenounced by any of the agencies or countries it implicated. Cambridge Analytica seems to me to be the tip of the iceberg and that's a seriously uncomfortable thought to process.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stagtime said:

If anyone thinks the King of Israel can’t win again should watch the doco The Great Hack. It’s a real eye opener what happened in 2016 and you wonder if they used Brexit as a test for their theories.

It's on my 'to watch' list.  2016 can happen again without a doubt.  But if the US economy swings towards a recession then Trump is toast. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/08/2019 at 19:48, Van der MoodHoover said:

Then the moderates (if there are such) have to up their game and unify.

at present, the Democratic Party candidates are a smorgasbord of the tired failures like Biden who gave rise to trump, and idealistic types who won’t appeal to “middle” America.

hence they will default to Trump.

Biden would win a Presidential contest easily. Clinton only just lost (if she flipped 70,000 votes in 3 states she wins) and her negatives were off the scale with a large section of the country. Biden isn't anywhere near as toxic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.