The Politics Thread 2019

David

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Judging by the state of some of the youth of today, there are a lot of people that deserve the sack from their 'job'.

Older generations complaining about the youth of the day.  Some things never change. 

Bad parents exist and have always existed. But there is little doubt now that it will be up to the younger generations to fix the mess that the older generations are leaving for them. 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Can't it be argued to be better for the environment by buying through the internet? 1 truck dropping off 100 gifts to 100 different people vs 100 people driving to and from a store to each pick up a single item.

Very interesting point!

30 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Older generations complaining about the youth of the day.  Some things never change. 

Bad parents exist and have always existed. But there is little doubt now that it will be up to the younger generations to fix the mess that the older generations are leaving for them. 

Seriously, if I had behaved the way the kids of today behave I wouldn't have been able to sit down for a week.

So little respect shown.

Kids armed with knives.

Did you see the video of the kids cycling round an Asda supermarket intimidating shoppers, one of them an old dear?

You bury your head in the sand and pretend it's the same as it always has been if you want.

I seriously worry about the society I am raising my kids in.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Seriously, if I had behaved the way the kids of today behave I wouldn't have been able to sit down for a week.

So little respect shown.

Kids armed with knives.

Did you see the video of the kids cycling round an Asda supermarket intimidating shoppers, one of them an old dear?

You bury your head in the sand and pretend it's the same as it always has been if you want.

There were plenty of scrotes 'back in the day' but that was a time before pretty much everyone had a smartphone with a camera in their pocket to film their activity.

You can pretend that everything used to be fine and dandy if you want, but the fact is every generation of humanity has had it's fair share of morons and that will never change.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I think he was referring to the concept of the older generation always complain about the behaviour of the younger generation - rather than saying their behaviour is no different to previous generations

Clearly there are bigger problems amongst young people than there were 20 years ago. Much more knife crime, much more gang culture, much less respect for authority etc

Why do you think that is? And keep asking why until you get to the root cause

I don't think it's as simple as saying it could be solved if their parents hit them more

3 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I think he was referring to the concept of the older generation always complain about the behaviour of the younger generation - rather than saying their behaviour is no different to previous generations

Clearly there are bigger problems amongst young people than there were 20 years ago. Much more knife crime, much more gang culture, much less respect for authority etc

I don't think it's as simple as saying it could be solved if their parents hit them more

Agree 100%. Coupled with the fact technology allows certain behaviours to be broadcast to a captive audience and it unfairly paints a whole generation as feral, knife wielding crazies.

But yeah, obviously they just weren't hit hard enough with their Mum's slippers when they were toddlers.

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So little respect shown.

Kids armed with knives.

I think @JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta has a strong point, we have the same scrote count but due to uploading mobile phone footage everyone can know everything almost straight away.

When I grew up in the eighteenth century there were some vile ****houses of all ages, did all sorts.

16 hours ago, Highgate said:

Raising 3 or 4 kids is a full time job.  For one parent at least.

I have always admired the character Fagin from 'Oliver Twist'.

Without Govt/Social Services support he looks after a crowd of orphans … provides a career path with the perk of earning as they learn … encourages initiative and the entrepreneurial spirit.

Oh yeah, and free sausages.

12 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Manners, respect and education start in the home.

Unfortunately, way too many parents think this can be sub contracted to schools and other public services, which we all know are massively underfunded.

16 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

There were plenty of scrotes 'back in the day' but that was a time before pretty much everyone had a smartphone with a camera in their pocket to film their activity.

You can pretend that everything used to be fine and dandy if you want, but the fact is every generation of humanity has had it's fair share of morons and that will never change.

I dont pretend everything has always been fine and dandy.

We are now at the stage though where it is being suggested that ALL police officers need to be armed with tasers.

25 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Very interesting point!

My two penneth on online shopping versus high street … I have worked in retail and to be honest I am totally not surprised by many chains going to the wall … often badly run and with no new ideas for decades. If it wasn't online shopping that nailed them it would just be a competitor.

I bought a watch in a major dept. store recently .. after standing there like a lemon for ages I had to dig up a staff member to speak to, and then they floundered about not able to work the till or find the right box for it.

The good chains have adapted to online and bossed it.

A lot of Amazon bashing is just jealousy.

13 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Unfortunately, way too many parents think this can be sub contracted to schools and other public services, which we all know are massively underfunded.

Ok - a fair point, but you've still only asked why once

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So little respect shown.

Kids armed with knives.

We don't know what young bad apples of the 19th century, or whenever, got up to. Very little record of their behaviour exists. I'm sure they did plenty of bad stuff. 

Of course this generation have a whole new set of problems, and weapons are surely far more widely available than they were in the past. Which can't be a good thing. Generally, where there is depredation, a lack of opportunities and poverty you will get some who turn to criminal activities, regardless of the era you live in.  And yes, bad parenting is also a huge contributing factor, It always has been.

I worry about the influence and pressure the ubiquitous social media culture is having on young people these days (I know it's a bit ironic to say that in an online forum) and also the effect of some over attentive and indulgent parenting, giving a child, in our ever smaller families, everything they want whenever they want it. Adult life might prove more difficult for these children. 

On the other hand the younger generation is far less racist, less sexist, less homophobic than previous generations were.  Also and most encouragingly of all, the younger generations are far more environmentally aware and responsible than their parents and grandparents are and were.  So clearly society is doing something right.

25 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Absolutely, no argument there. 

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I dont pretend everything has always been fine and dandy.

We are now at the stage though where it is being suggested that ALL police officers need to be armed with tasers.

We should go back to the sixties, where the likes of Ronnie and Reggie were around to keep people in line. Didn't have lawlessness back then. 

54 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

We should go back to the sixties, where the likes of Ronnie and Reggie were around to keep people in line. Didn't have lawlessness back then. 

They certainly wouldnt have allowed some little scrotes cycle around a supermarket terrorising grannies.

3 hours ago, Highgate said:

We don't know what young bad apples of the 19th century, or whenever, got up to. Very little record of their behaviour exists. I'm sure they did plenty of bad stuff. 

Yeah, I agree. We don't know much at all about what my great grandfather did, all we know is that his first name was Jack. Would be nice to know more, if you think you can help please message me - name is Dave Ripper.

Archived