The Politics Thread 2019

David

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm far from being an economist but I would have thought it logical that boosts to local economies would have a positive knock on effect for the wider economy.

Who knows, it could even lead to a re-emergence of the high street...remember that?

Are you seriously suggesting that Brexit will lead to a re-birth of grocers, fishmongers, butchers and the like rather than a strengthening of the position of the likes of Walmart / Asda? Really?

Should we also take it that you do not use supermarkets currently and instead use local and independent suppliers for all your needs?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Of course we all know if Antifa didnt turn up at these rallies there would be nothing to defend against. They go there looking for trouble all in the name of 'defending the peace'. Laughable.

We know nothing of the sort. What's this 'we all know BS'? You don't speak for everybody mucker, you most certainly don't speak for me. And while we're on this point, do the Proud Boys turn up looking to spread the love? 

Whilst most reasonable folk would admit that there are idiots on both sides of the fence, you steadfastly maintain a stance whereby you only entertain criticism of Antifa. Utterly risible.

Intolerance against intolerance equals intolerance.  We cannot claim that one type of intolerance is any better than another, surely that would be hypocrisy.  All sides must be heard, as much as that may offend, or none at all should be heard.

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

How many people have been killed by "Antifa"? A. None

How many people have been killed by white supremacist terrorists? A. A hell of a lot

"more extreme"

You must be very worried about Islam then....

Oops nearly a post on religion there.

34 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Are you seriously suggesting that Brexit will lead to a re-birth of grocers, fishmongers, butchers and the like rather than a strengthening of the position of the likes of Walmart / Asda? Really?

Should we also take it that you do not use supermarkets currently and instead use local and independent suppliers for all your needs?

I'm not suggesting anything.

Just saying it's an option. 

There is never a shortage of people complaining about the big corporations but they always seem to scrape by with record profits year after year.

28 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

We know nothing of the sort. What's this 'we all know BS'? You don't speak for everybody mucker, you most certainly don't speak for me. And while we're on this point, do the Proud Boys turn up looking to spread the love? 

Whilst most reasonable folk would admit that there are idiots on both sides of the fence, you steadfastly maintain a stance whereby you only entertain criticism of Antifa. Utterly risible.

Do I?

I suggest you read my posts before forming your opinion and putting together yet another completely predictable response.

3 hours ago, Norman said:

Anyone who supports physical violence to further their own politcal view via direct action is what then?

Like the Oklahoma bombing you mean? That kind of terrorism? How about all those mass-shootings?

Extreme elements sit both sides of the fence but it ought to be pretty clear that Antifa have a long way to go before they catch up with some elements of their neo-nazi, white supremacist, KKK, Proud Boy counterparts or do you see it differently? The question is, if Trump wants to label Antifa a terrorist organisation, why has he failed to do so with those sitting the other side of the fence. Surely the greater atrocities have been committed by nationalists so why the different approach?

5 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Like the Oklahoma bombing you mean? That kind of terrorism? How about all those mass-shootings?

Extreme elements sit both sides of the fence but it ought to be pretty clear that Antifa have a long way to go before they catch up with some elements of their neo-nazi, white supremacist, KKK, Proud Boy counterparts or do you see it differently? The question is, if Trump wants to label Antifa a terrorist organisation, why has he failed to do so with those sitting the other side of the fence. Surely the greater atrocities have been committed by nationalists so why the different approach?

My view, he's waiting for enough intelligence to be gathered to announce several groups as terrorist organisations. Then all centrists can sit back and watch justice be served by the legal system. 

7 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

My view, he's waiting for enough intelligence to be gathered to announce several groups as terrorist organisations. Then all centrists can sit back and watch justice be served by the legal system. 

I wish I had such faith in him.  

15 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I suggest you try reading your posts before posting them! 

Done

"I'll ask you again - who do you believe are the bad guys here?

Anyone engaging in violence against people with different beliefs."

There is me 'steadfastly maintaining a stance whereby I only entertain criticism of Antifa.'

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Wasnt the latest mass shooter in USA found to have Antifa ideologies?

No, but there was a wave of fake news after both the El Paso and - in particular - Dayton attacks trying to suggest a link. Article below that is an interesting, if worrying, overview of it all. OK, it's Rolling Stone so undeniably left wing in nature but still makes for an insightful read.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/el-paso-dayton-shooting-fake-news-antifa-charlottesville-867499/

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Done

"I'll ask you again - who do you believe are the bad guys here?

Anyone engaging in violence against people with different beliefs."

There is me 'steadfastly maintaining a stance whereby I only entertain criticism of Antifa.'

Sorry, could you help me out with by identifying the criticism of white nationalists. The above is a tad generic. There's literally zero acknowledgement of any nationalist wrongdoing contained whatsoever ?

A more typical response was from an hour ago when asked;

How many people have been killed by "Antifa"? 

How many people have been killed by white supremacist terrorists?

your 'steadfast condemnation' of the latter was as follows...

56 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You must be very worried about Islam then.... 

48 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Trump is waiting for intelligence to be gathered before he says anything on the subject? 

All of a sudden he is overcome with caution and reticence ?  Donald Trump ?

The same guy who just a couple of days ago announced to the world that he wants to buy Greenland, before first mentioning it to Greenland or Denmark ?   

8 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

No, but there was a wave of fake news after both the El Paso and - in particular - Dayton attacks trying to suggest a link. Article below that is an interesting, if worrying, overview of it all. OK, it's Rolling Stone so undeniably left wing in nature but still makes for an insightful read.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/el-paso-dayton-shooting-fake-news-antifa-charlottesville-867499/

Hard to know what to believe!

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ok.

White nationalists killing people is bad.

Antifa killing people is bad.

Muslims killing people is bad.

No league table on who is worst. All killing is bad.

Amen to that - No league table, but feel free to add antifa to it if they ever start killing people

I mean - they are pretty terrifying terrorists...

Capture.PNG

22 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Trump is waiting for intelligence to be gathered before he says anything on the subject? 

All of a sudden he is overcome with caution and reticence ?  Donald Trump ?

The same guy who just a couple of days ago announced to the world that he wants to buy Greenland, before first mentioning it to Greenland or Denmark ?   

Yep, i genuinely believe he is being kept informed on a daily basis and the strategy is to either foil or uncover multiple plots, by multiple groups and pass some legislation. 

Archived