The Politics Thread 2019

David

On 16/08/2019 at 15:51, SchtivePesley said:

Well that's your opinion, and I know nothing will change your mind so I won't bother trying

However it's clear that remainers need to decide which they oppose the most.

A no-deal Brexit or a Corbyn led govt.

As it stands they are mutually exclusive

God Bless you Schtive.

What a choice ... a barbed-wire enema or having your plums slammed in a car door ....☹️

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was told forty odd years ago when I started my working life, that the age of retirement would be down to sixty if not lower when I was due to retire. Instead the age of retirement went up, for me to sixty-six.

If our government follow the advice of a right-wing think tank, a group that also helped in the introduction of the unpopular universal credit system, then in a few years time the age you will be able to claim your state pension will have risen to seventy-five.

Maybe all MPs should be made to retire from Parliament and take up jobs that requires manual work. Allowing people who have have grafted for the passed forty years to be able to sit on a comfy green seat, wave a piece of paper about while making a noise like a distressed donkey for the rest of their working life.

Oh and the name of this wonderful think tank? The centre for social justice. If this group is really concerned about injustices in our society. Perhaps their chairperson, Iain Duncan Smith can get them to come up with a solution that will stop the increase in child poverty and the rise in the cases of malnutrition being treated by the NHS.  Why is there in the last ten years, a fifty percent increase in the disease kwashiorkor. A disease that causes the stomachs of children to swell. A site we only usually see on the tv during a charity appeal, to help feed the starving of Africa.

55 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

A mob of hundreds of masked thugs, throwing things at a dad (who had a sign saying he hated the left and RACISM)and his little daughter, chasing them. What context does that require exactly? 

That 'protest' is just a baying mob. 

Strange that wasn't included on the video. Almost like maybe there's more to it. 

Like those innocent proud boys. Just misunderstood little cherubs. Hard to understand why they would get targeted. It must all be the nasty anti fascists doing the bad stuff. 

48 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I was told forty odd years ago when I started my working life, that the age of retirement would be down to sixty if not lower when I was due to retire. Instead the age of retirement went up, for me to sixty-six.

If our government follow the advice of a right-wing think tank, a group that also helped in the introduction of the unpopular universal credit system, then in a few years time the age you will be able to claim your state pension will have risen to seventy-five.

Maybe all MPs should be made to retire from Parliament and take up jobs that requires manual work. Allowing people who have have grafted for the passed forty years to be able to sit on a comfy green seat, wave a piece of paper about while making a noise like a distressed donkey for the rest of their working life.

Oh and the name of this wonderful think tank? The centre for social justice. If this group is really concerned about injustices in our society. Perhaps their chairperson, Iain Duncan Smith can get them to come up with a solution that will stop the increase in child poverty and the rise in the cases of malnutrition being treated by the NHS.  Why is there in the last ten years, a fifty percent increase in the disease kwashiorkor. A disease that causes the stomachs of children to swell. A site we only usually see on the tv during a charity appeal, to help feed the starving of Africa.

I remember working with a guy in his late 20s who had never paid into a pension, and I thought he must be crazy. 

Turns out he's a genius. 

7 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Strange that wasn't included on the video. Almost like maybe there's more to it. 

Like those innocent proud boys. Just misunderstood little cherubs. Hard to understand why they would get targeted. It must all be the nasty anti fascists doing the bad stuff. 

I posted a reporters twitter page not a single video. There's multiple on there about the 'protests'. 

Partisan as ever 

9 hours ago, maxjam said:

Any violence is out of order and I hope the thugs are caught. 

Immediately jumping to 'premeditated 'far-right' assault' however requires evidence otherwise you're simply pushing your own agenda and adding further fuel to the culture war.

Yeah it was probably totally random. More than likely it was just inter-Antifa fighting between 2 left wing terrorists. Again.

2 hours ago, Uptherams said:

A mob of hundreds of masked thugs, throwing things at a dad (who had a sign saying he hated the left and RACISM)and his little daughter,

"little daughter" - this has been called out as BS and retraction issued. She's 23.

You should stop believing everything that the fascists feed you 

And the "man" is Johnny Turano aka "Based Spartan" - a notorious right-wing violent thug who travels the US  attending all the alt.right rallies he can, deliberately trying to incite violence purely for the agenda of trying to dupe the gullible into arguing his case that anti-fascists are the bad guys

Do you think being anti-fascist is a bad thing? The clue is in the words "anti-fascist"

5 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

"little daughter" - this has been called out as BS and retraction issued. She's 23.

You should stop believing everything that the fascists feed you 

And the "man" is Johnny Turano aka "Based Spartan" - a notorious right-wing violent thug who travels the US  attending all the alt.right rallies he can, deliberately trying to incite violence purely for the agenda of trying to dupe the gullible into arguing his case that anti-fascists are the bad guys

Do you think being anti-fascist is a bad thing? The clue is in the words "anti-fascist"

My mistake. It's still a bayin mob. In all seriousness, where do you and the others get your extremist material from exactly? Facebook? 

It's good to know that when the mask slips you are only anti violence when it's people you disagree with, should i be worried ??

2 hours ago, Uptherams said:

My mistake. It's still a bayin mob. In all seriousness, where do you and the others get your extremist material from exactly? Facebook? 

It's good to know that when the mask slips you are only anti violence when it's people you disagree with, should i be worried ??

You say people I disagree with, I say far right neo-fascists. Potato/po-tato. 

Honestly, why are people justifying supporting fascism so much these days? Remember the times when it was considered a very British thing to be against fascism? It was very popular in the 40s.

19 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Honestly, why are people justifying supporting fascism so much these days? Remember the times when it was considered a very British thing to be against fascism? It was very popular in the 40s.

Who supports Facism? 

On 16/08/2019 at 16:51, SchtivePesley said:

However it's clear that remainers need to decide which they oppose the most.

A no-deal Brexit or a Corbyn led govt.

As it stands they are mutually exclusive

Actually, the way things are going we could end up with both - one after the other.

14 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Good. Start using local suppliers and give a boost to our economy.

Well at least we won't be arguing over bendy bananas - coz there won't be any of any shape to buy.

You can buy all local supplied food today, nobody is stopping you - me too if I wanted. I don't know your personal situation but maybe you could afford the extra expense that would be incurred doing so. But many can't and the likelihood is that rising food prices - even if it is because we eat more locally produced food - will impact more severely those who can't bear it most easily. But don't worry, coz anyone with Tesco shares will see a nice return on their investment even if the rest can't afford half the stuff on the shelves.

Why, out of interest, are you so convinced that using local suppliers will boost our economy?

As i don't know much about Antifa I've been doing a bit of research. 

This BBC article seems a good summary of what they're about:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/X56rQkDgd0qqB7R68t6t7C/seven-things-you-need-to-know-about-antifa

I find this quote interesting: 'By the early 2000s the Antifa movement was mostly dormant - until the rise of Donald Trump and the alt-right.' 

This NBC report is good too IMO:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/far-right-rally-portland-met-anti-fascist-protesters-n1043646

It's interesting that the Mayor of Portland does not want the man (Biggs) who organised the far-right rally to return - 'I want to be really clear. We do not want him here ..... in my city. Period.'

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Let's be honest, words like 'fascist' and 'racist' no longer have much meaning.

They are just words used at the first opportunity by people who either are trying to get a reaction or dont actually know what the words mean.

If you are seriously trying to compare your perceived idea of fascism today with what happened in the 1940s then I think you have a poor knowledge of history. Of course you could probably argue that all movements start somewhere and this is the early shoots of fascism. Personally, I struggle to see it. 

Just for balance, lets also not forget that it's not that long ago that justifying and advocating the use of violence against people you disagreed with was frowned upon!

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Let's be honest, words like 'fascist' and 'racist' no longer have much meaning.

Shall we stick to "white nationalist" then? Is that easier?

Quite honestly if anyone reads the wikipedia page for the "Proud Boys" and then learned they were going to march in their city looking for trouble and the side you'd pick is "anti those who seek to defend the peace" then that's pretty shameful

37 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Why, out of interest, are you so convinced that using local suppliers will boost our economy?

I'm far from being an economist but I would have thought it logical that boosts to local economies would have a positive knock on effect for the wider economy.

Who knows, it could even lead to a re-emergence of the high street...remember that?

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm far from being an economist but I would have thought it logical that boosts to local economies would have a positive knock on effect for the wider economy.

Who knows, it could even lead to a re-emergence of the high street...remember that?

The simple economics is that the UK cannot produce enough to feed itself.

Here is the view of some farming organisation, but hey what do they know.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/95658/can-britain-ever-be-food-self-sufficient

The up shot, farmers will have to work harder, as apparently they are not at the moment....

Archived