The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Mmmm yes the much maligned big red bus. Nice to see it's capable of producing money, before we have even left the EU. So where's the next five weeks worth of money going to be spent?

Well hang on, everything negative that has happened since the Referendum has been Brexits fault 'before we have even left'.

Maybe BJ has realised that money set aside as a parting gift to the EU would be better spent here in the UK.

I dont know where the money is to be spent, in hospitals already earmarked for improvements according to the newspapers.

Are you seriously complaining about a £1.8bn injection into the NHS?

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Does it really matter where it is spent.

It's a £1.8bn injection into the NHS.

Remember 'his promise' off the side of the bus that Remainers were so furious about?

I know it's only the equivalent of 5 weeks but it's a nice start hey.

Interesting article in the FT about how "spending pledges" - here are a few snippets.

Since 2017, 145 new spending schemes for hospital beds, buildings, medical equipment and information technology have been announced — that’s an average of more than one a week, totalling £2.5bn. But a recent analysis by the Health Service Journal found that less than £100m of this promised funding has actually reached the front line.

And the article goes on to highlight another favourite tactic is to bring forward already planned expenditure. This is not some lefty anti-Tory rag putting this out, but it is encouraging people to think critically and to ask the right questions so that governments of any colour can be properly held to account.

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well hang on, everything negative that has happened since the Referendum has been Brexits fault 'before we have even left'.

Maybe BJ has realised that money set aside as a parting gift to the EU would be better spent here in the UK.

I dont know where the money is to be spent, in hospitals already earmarked for improvements according to the newspapers.

No.

But as most of the money to be spent was already in the NHS kitty, there isn't an actual extra £1.8bn injection. It's the beginning of a PR exercise by the tory party in the lead up to a GE.

28 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes, yes they are. God forbid the current government do anything positive.

A few posters have already said they are looking forward to this country falling on its arse after Brexit. Just so they can be right. Just to massge their intellectual ego.

ducking disgraceful.

59 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Boris: £1.8bn vs Corbyn £500+bn.

Yeah, that's the same.

Only three years out of date, and stated when he was in a leadership race.   The 500, covered off a lot of other things, not just the NHS, so you are distorting facts.

To be fair, it's probably the last time he has stated anything of worth, the fence he is sat on must be very comfortable.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/aug/04/corbyn-to-pledge-500bn-of-spending-in-leadership-speech

6 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

No one is complaining about the money, they are stating it is not enough.  It would not cover off the hole left by the failure Carillion.

Quick example.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-45511038

Only one PFI  hospital was signed off by the Tories the remainder all Labour .Carillion is part of the ongoing contracts almost certainly started under a Labour government  

11 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Only three years out of date, and stated when he was in a leadership race.   The 500, covered off a lot of other things, not just the NHS, so you are distorting facts.

To be fair, it's probably the last time he has stated anything of worth, the fence he is sat on must be very comfortable.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/aug/04/corbyn-to-pledge-500bn-of-spending-in-leadership-speech

I'm not distorting anything. I never said that Corbyn was promising it just for the NHS. It was the sum of all of the election pledges that Corbyn admitted on manifesto launch day that he didn't know where the money would come from. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy that his supporters point to any increased spending pledge from the Government as going to the magic money tree.

The extra cash we currently have was supposed to be the Brexit contingency fund as far as I can make out. Boris is an idiot for using it on various pledges but that's another issue.

16 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Only one PFI  hospital was signed off by the Tories the remainder all Labour .Carillion is part of the ongoing contracts almost certainly started under a Labour government  

Got to disagree with you there.  The John Major Government signed off on a lot of these, The tories 'invented' them in 1992, and Labour exploited them in the 00's.  Then May decides to have a PFI2 version!

They are both as bad as each other.  Cap was blown off it many times, however it's embarrassing to both parties.  So brushed under the carpet by both.

Year old, but sums it up nicely.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/30/pfi-britain-hospital-trust-debt-burden-tax

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

No.

But as most of the money to be spent was already in the NHS kitty, there isn't an actual extra £1.8bn injection. It's the beginning of a PR exercise by the tory party in the lead up to a GE.

For saying it was only announced a few days ago, everyone seems to have got the facts where it is coming from very quickly.

Would you prefer if they stopped all spending until after the next general election?

41 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

You implied it by saying 1.8 vs 500.  Do you know where the 1.8 is coming from?

Well, its all dancing on the head of a pin isn't it?

As i understand it, there are some stating that the 1.8 is merely a "rephasing" of the sums already "promised" by Theresa May last year, so there is nothing "new" as such, it is existing commitments accelerated.

The alternative line being peddled is that it really is additional money - but it is found out of Phillip Hammond's "fiscal headroom". But as has been pointed out, that is not a pot of cash, it is an aspirational borrowing amount to keep the overall deficit within the then chancellors limit. So the 1.8bn is a new "borrowing" from somewhere........

The harsher realities are that a lot of "austerity" was cancelling/deferring maintenance and building to re-balance the budget and it is STILL in deficit - and now we realise that we were fooling ourselves as we hadn't really saved any money or generated any new money as we now seem ready to acknowledge a whole heap of repair bills.....

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

You implied it by saying 1.8 vs 500.  Do you know where the 1.8 is coming from?

No I didn't. £500bn is four times the current NHS budget. Even Corbyn wouldn't be mad enough to pledge that.

I suspect the 1.8 is coming from the £26bn "headroom" that the previous chancellor had claimed.

Whether you believe Boris or not, it goes to show that there's always a way to make money available if the political breeze blows the right way. When we were under austerity there was no money to spare, until the DUP needed to be bought. Now we are finding money left right and centre.

When someone says there's no money available, they just mean they've preferred to spend it on something else.

Like tax cuts for the higher paid.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Whether you believe Boris or not, it goes to show that there's always a way to make money available if the political breeze blows the right way. When we were under austerity there was no money to spare, until the DUP needed to be bought. Now we are finding money left right and centre.

When someone says there's no money available, they just mean they've preferred to spend it on something else.

Like tax cuts for the higher paid.

more like we've just changed our minds as to how much we're prepared to run up on the UK credit card.........?

21 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

No I didn't. £500bn is four times the current NHS budget. Even Corbyn wouldn't be mad enough to pledge that.

I suspect the 1.8 is coming from the £26bn "headroom" that the previous chancellor had claimed.

Yes you did by putting the numbers next to each other.  Obviously Corbyn is mad as he did state the 500, and a list of how he was going to generate it and what he was going to invest in.

The 1bn of the 1.8bn is coming from the NHS budget that has been frozen, so it is money that is already in the NHS system.  IMHO it is an outright lie, it is basically cracking open an ISA.

i much prefer Trump to Obama.  He is the unabashed ugly face of American exceptional imperialism.  He is too vulgar to be suave and altogether much more honest than Obama ever was.  He is detested mainly for this, because his presidency holds a mirror up to the ever loyal, but now slightly embarrassed supporters of the USA.

35 minutes ago, ramit said:

i much prefer Trump to Obama.  He is the unabashed ugly face of American exceptional imperialism.  He is too vulgar to be suave and altogether much more honest than Obama ever was.  He is detested mainly for this, because his presidency holds a mirror up to the ever loyal, but now slightly embarrassed supporters of the USA.

How can you say Trump is honest. After all the 'alternative facts' he has spouted. The mans a congenital liar.

Archived