The Politics Thread 2019

David

Just reading Julia Boyd's Travellers in the third Reich. Some very unpleasant parallels with where we are now, even to the extent of a political party taking their place in parliament with a bravado and behaviour described as 'pantomime' and ridiculed by commentators at the time.

No prizes for guessing who

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Agree, but the whole debate at the time was hijacked by the NHS bus and Farage scare tactics.

The remain campaign didnt bring up relevant issues, or if they did they didnt do it loud enough. 

I cant remember the detailed level of debate back then that we are having now. 

No it was not hijacked you only believe this because leave won, We was told there would a recession on the vote being leave which was a lie,  Obama said we would be at the back the queue for future trade deals which was a lie,  9 million pounds of public money was spent on a one sided remain government leaflet delivered to very household.

During this threads short hiatus and with the likelihood of Johnson becoming the next Prime Minister.  I was contemplating who I considered to have been the best and worst PM since I was eligible to vote in the seventies.

I never thought anyone else would top Thatcher on the worst list but smug faced Cameron did it with ease.

As for the best I'll have to go back to the first MP I was able to vote for, Harold Wilson.

I'll wait and see how Johnson or Hunt perform before deciding where they'll go in the list but I've got a good idea.

10 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

During this threads short hiatus and with the likelihood of Johnson becoming the next Prime Minister.  I was contemplating who I considered to have been the best and worst PM since I was eligible to vote in the seventies.

I never thought anyone else would top Thatcher on the worst list but smug faced Cameron did it with ease.

As for the best I'll have to go back to the first MP I was able to vote for, Harold Wilson.

I'll wait and see how Johnson or Hunt perform before deciding where they'll go in the list but I've got a good idea.

Where is May on your list? 

20 hours ago, Igorlegend11 said:

Will it include the minor reforms Cameron was offered. It's an endless list of options.  Which should all be irrelevant as my majority vote on a large turnout we voted to leave, against the wishes of the state and the government.  That it's now called a peoples vote is beyond humourous.  

I would not vote in any ref2 unless it asked the exact same question as the first ref.

People saying it was too simplistic a question, forget that the Electoral Commission had to reject Cameron's first attempt at a referendum question, because it was too vague.

What was his first attempt at a question?

24 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Never mind her, how he could put Cameron above Blair for smugness, not to mention deceit, is astonishing.

Maybe because I wasn't comparing them on smugness but if I was it would close to being a dead-heat.

4 hours ago, dog said:

Just reading Julia Boyd's Travellers in the third Reich. Some very unpleasant parallels with where we are now, even to the extent of a political party taking their place in parliament with a bravado and behaviour described as 'pantomime' and ridiculed by commentators at the time.

No prizes for guessing who

Bloody lib dems with their yellow t shirts

6 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

It's not just staying relevant - it's about staying solvent. A boring truthful story does not get the engagement that an inflated, controversial, distortion of the truth story gets.

Is it just capitalism reaching it's ugly conclusion? Everything has a price, and if it has no price then there is no place for it. There is no money in balanced fact-based reporting. If there were, then it would no longer  be balanced (as it would be skewed one way or another by the financial implications)

Sad to say the old cliche is full of truth. Not everything that counts can be counted.

You make a good point but as consumers we have to take some responsibility. If there's no demand, inevitably there's  very limited supply too. While it's unrealistic to expect everybody to diseminate and assimilate from a plethora of different information sources, we can't just blame the click-hungry news outlets themselves, not that I'm saying you are!

As with other things, to a degree, we get the press we deserve. If the numbers of those demanding fact-based reporting have dwindled to such an extent that even credible online media outlets are unsustainable, then we have only ourselves to blame. The fact is, a deal of folks' exclusive info source for news and current affairs is Facebook. It's a sorry and dangerous state of affairs.

43 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Dont like TR but his sentencing is really really appalling tbh

How so? Gets zero sympathy from me. I thought he get 12 yo 18 months minimum given this is not his first rodeo! As it is, if he behaves, he'll only serve 9 weeks. That' an astonishingly short sentence given the scumbags on trial are now starting to register appeals against their convictions as a consequence of his idiocy. Not only has he risked investigations and and the overruling of the verdicts handed down, but as a result, a huge amount of the taxpayers hard earned and to what end? What did his publicity-seeking actually achieve save for risking the court's verdict being overturned? 

Furthermore, what if some or all of the creeps jailed are freed on the basis of an unsafe and prejudicial conviction as a result of Tommy's attention seeking behaviour? Who's to say they'll not carry on where they left off if allowed to go free?  And if they do, whose kids will pay the price this time?

He was warned, he knew the risks and now he gets a week or two in Belmarsh, like anyone convicted at the Old Bailey, before being shipped off to a cushy low security D-Cat prison like Ford where the only time he'll spend in a cell is when he is asleep. The problem is that he's so dim that he's actively encouraged his supporters to cause trouble outside whatever prison he ends up in so the silly sod might end up doing all his stir in somewhere like Belmarsh who are perfectly well equipped to deal with Tommy fanboys trying to cause trouble . Rest assured, Belmarsh, Brixton and Wandsworth won't be the same picnic that the D-Cats are, so once again, the fool is absolutely the architect of his own downfall.

One thing that is certain is that if his supportters make it impossible for him to be trasnferred to an open prison, he will have to go on the numbers if he is jailed in London and would therefore, purely through his own stupidity and inability to shut his yap, end up spending his entire sentence in the company of other vulnerable prisoners who tend to be grasses, sex cases, child abusers and bent coppers. How's that for irony?

While I appreciate that you are, by your own admission, not a fan of Robinson, would you still maintain his sentence is unduly punitive and if so, would you mind explaining why as for the life of me, I can fathom no reasonable argument to that end.

7 hours ago, 1of4 said:

If Mrs Thatch had been prime minister after the referendum in 2016, we would have left within 6 months. Since 29th March we have given billions to the EU. If Boris fails Nigel will get us out. 

39 minutes ago, Sasha said:

If Mrs Thatch had been prime minister after the referendum in 2016, we would have left within 6 months. Since 29th March we have given billions to the EU. If Boris fails Nigel will get us out. 

Nowt to do with whether we leave the EU or not, but will Nige or Boris help my old dad out with his dementia care? Will they fck! because they're both in favour of dismantling the NHS to provide profits for the US private health companies who fund their disgusting parties.

Johnson and Farage are the most anti working class, upper class public school tossers you could ever wish to meet. 

I despair that ordinary people think apologists for billionaire tax dodgers like these are somehow going to provide a better way of life for us.

7 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

How so? Gets zero sympathy from me. I thought he get 12 yo 18 months minimum given this is not his first rodeo! As it is, if he behaves, he'll only serve 9 weeks. That' an astonishingly short sentence given the scumbags on trial are now starting to register appeals against their convictions as a consequence of his idiocy. Not only has he risked investigations and and the overruling of the verdicts handed down, but as a result, a huge amount of the taxpayers hard earned and to what end? What did his publicity-seeking actually achieve save for risking the court's verdict being overturned? 

Furthermore, what if some or all of the creeps jailed are freed on the basis of an unsafe and prejudicial conviction as a result of Tommy's attention seeking behaviour? Who's to say they'll not carry on where they left off if allowed to go free?  And if they do, whose kids will pay the price this time?

He was warned, he knew the risks and now he gets a week or two in Belmarsh, like anyone convicted at the Old Bailey, before being shipped off to a cushy low security D-Cat prison like Ford where the only time he'll spend in a cell is when he is asleep. The problem is that he's so dim that he's actively encouraged his supporters to cause trouble outside whatever prison he ends up in so the silly sod might end up doing all his stir in somewhere like Belmarsh who are perfectly well equipped to deal with Tommy fanboys trying to cause trouble . Rest assured, Belmarsh, Brixton and Wandsworth won't be the same picnic that the D-Cats are, so once again, the fool is absolutely the architect of his own downfall.

One thing that is certain is that if his supportters make it impossible for him to be trasnferred to an open prison, he will have to go on the numbers if he is jailed in London and would therefore, purely through his own stupidity and inability to shut his yap, end up spending his entire sentence in the company of other vulnerable prisoners who tend to be grasses, sex cases, child abusers and bent coppers. How's that for irony?

While I appreciate that you are, by your own admission, not a fan of Robinson, would you still maintain his sentence is unduly punitive and if so, would you mind explaining why as for the life of me, I can fathom no reasonable argument to that end.

What law did he break?

As far as I can see he was reporting on information that was already available in the public domain?

Assuming that reporting outside court regarding sentencing, will the BBC reporters that reported from outside the court on his case be getting charged?

8 hours ago, Sasha said:

If Margaret Thatcher had been PM, still a member of the Tory party or even alive, the country would not have contemplated such an example of collective delusionist insanity in the first place.

An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman went into a pub. The Englishman didn't like it so they all had to leave.

33 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What law did he break?

As far as I can see he was reporting on information that was already available in the public domain?

Assuming that reporting outside court regarding sentencing, will the BBC reporters that reported from outside the court on his case be getting charged?

Filming an ongoing trial - and this was ongoing - is contempt of court. Considering that some of the defendants now are trying to use his actions to appeal, do you see why it isn't allowed? 

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

Filming an ongoing trial - and this was ongoing - is contempt of court. Considering that some of the defendants now are trying to use his actions to appeal, do you see why it isn't allowed? 

Ongoing trial?

It was the day of sentencing wasn't it?

Why had the BBC already reported on the verdicts if it was an ongoing trial? 

Archived