The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Enjoy your chlorine swimming sessions and tap water ?

The chlorination of the swimming baths I'm grateful for.

You might have been in before me.

5 hours ago, bcnram said:

Didn’t he say he wants it to be more ‘evidence based’? If the evidence shows that sales of sugar based drinks have not reduced then it is the lower income brackets who are being punished. I can understand his thinking, but personally I would triple the tax on cigarettes to try and reduce the self inflicted lung cancer sufferers from clogging up the nhs resources. 

Tobacco for me is such a strange one. 

On no other product in the world it if was labelled "this product KILLS" or "this product causes lung cancer" would people go out and buy it in such high volume.

I've never seen anyone have a couple of mouthfuls of bleach everyday. FFS - if it kills (and it does) BAN it. Don't tax it. Stop making it.

Tobacco producers killing people on a massive scale all in the name of profit and consumer "choice"

Having said that I read today that OBESITY is now by far and away the biggest cause of cancer in the UK outnumbering the smokers by 2-1.

Interestingly for a project I'm hoping to do I've looked at smoking figures, teenage pregnancy figures and child obesity figures from Southwick, my old home, which has some of the highest child poverty rates in England.

The levels of child obesity are 7% higher than the national average, yet they also receive one of the highest %'s of free school meals. Now if the parents can't afford to feed them so they need free school meals how are the poor little buggers obese?

They're obese because a lot of poor people buy poo food and make their kids ea garbage like crisp sandwiches for dinner and jam and bread for tea.

We should be spending an absolute fortune on "nutrionalists" doubling up as educational social workers. Make sure the single mums (or dads) and young parents of the future know how to do a decent ducking weekly shop.

Adults letting the next generation of children down in so many ways it is heart breaking.

1 hour ago, ronnieronalde said:

Tobacco for me is such a strange one. 

On no other product in the world it if was labelled "this product KILLS" or "this product causes lung cancer" would people go out and buy it in such high volume.

I've never seen anyone have a couple of mouthfuls of bleach everyday. FFS - if it kills (and it does) BAN it. Don't tax it. Stop making it.

Tobacco producers killing people on a massive scale all in the name of profit and consumer "choice"

Having said that I read today that OBESITY is now by far and away the biggest cause of cancer in the UK outnumbering the smokers by 2-1.

Interestingly for a project I'm hoping to do I've looked at smoking figures, teenage pregnancy figures and child obesity figures from Southwick, my old home, which has some of the highest child poverty rates in England.

The levels of child obesity are 7% higher than the national average, yet they also receive one of the highest %'s of free school meals. Now if the parents can't afford to feed them so they need free school meals how are the poor little buggers obese?

They're obese because a lot of poor people buy poo food and make their kids ea garbage like crisp sandwiches for dinner and jam and bread for tea.

We should be spending an absolute fortune on "nutrionalists" doubling up as educational social workers. Make sure the single mums (or dads) and young parents of the future know how to do a decent ducking weekly shop.

Adults letting the next generation of children down in so many ways it is heart breaking.

Luckily for me when I was a teenager my grandad lived on a farm going there was fanastic for me food food wise.  Fresh veg and meat,  salad, home made cakes and puddings no plastic wrapped plastic food and I worked on the farm for pocket money which burnt off any excess calories.  I feel really sorry for some kids today.

When I had free school meals it was great, six at a table container of food between us to be shared out, my plate was always piled high with cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage and roast parsnips nobody else wanted. 

I have never understood smoking and never will. 

Everyone from an early age should be taught how to behave, how to eat, how to exercise, how not to waste money and how to be greener than the modern generation. 

As for single parents doing a weekly shop that was my job as a teenager if not done I was not allowed out. 

6 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I think I've made my point. 

What point? All the bickering about trade deals is ridiculous. Nobody knows anything. 

I don't care whether the fat cats are fatter in Brussels or London. I think we're heading for a crisis of representative democracy, in the UK, the US and the EU. What actually matters is that we move to a more participatory and equitable system, and halt the slide towards corporate oligarchy. 

10 hours ago, bcnram said:

Didn’t he say he wants it to be more ‘evidence based’? If the evidence shows that sales of sugar based drinks have not reduced then it is the lower income brackets who are being punished. I can understand his thinking, but personally I would triple the tax on cigarettes to try and reduce the self inflicted lung cancer sufferers from clogging up the nhs resources. 

I would assume based on this we should have an 80% tax on anything that has sugar and alcohol . You don't have to buy products with sugar or booze. Those with a car more than 10 years old should pay double for petrol- save money by walking a few miles instead if you can't afford a new car.  and everyone should stay at home and not work as stress is one of the biggest aggravating factors when it comes to cancer and heart disease/strokes - is that self inflicted ? maybe if you agree to spend extra hours at work to secure a promotion / voluntarily take on a more pressured work role . Can't have it all way's .  

Based on your logic someone who has lung cancer from smoking has less value and should pay a stealth tax for future treatment . someone who has cirrhosis from excessive drinking, or diabetes from over consumption of sugar, or chronic heart disease attributable to eating bacon butties five times a week is ok.

If you don't do any of the above good on ya . I know I have done some of the above in the past and still do some now in one capacity or another .

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I would assume based on this we should have an 80% tax on anything that has sugar and alcohol . You don't have to buy products with sugar or booze. Those with a car more than 10 years old should pay double for petrol- save money by walking a few miles instead if you can't afford a new car.  and everyone should stay at home and not work as stress is one of the biggest aggravating factors when it comes to cancer and heart disease/strokes - is that self inflicted ? maybe if you agree to spend extra hours at work to secure a promotion / voluntarily take on a more pressured work role . Can't have it all way's .  

Based on your logic someone who has lung cancer from smoking has less value and should pay a stealth tax for future treatment . someone who has cirrhosis from excessive drinking, or diabetes from over consumption of sugar, or chronic heart disease attributable to eating bacon butties five times a week is ok.

If you don't do any of the above good on ya . I know I have done some of the above in the past and still do some now in one capacity or another .

I think the time has come for those who take up valuable NHS resources through smoking and drinking or eating stupidly pay their way or they won’t have the resources to deal with my ingrowing toenail. 

Jeremy Hunt yesterday: "I'm going to bring back fox-hunting"

Jeremy Hunt today: "I'm not going to bring back fox-hunting"

16 hours ago, eddie said:

Enjoy your chlorine-washed chicken.

I don't believe the quality of the end product is any different to what we already have. However, the minimum hygiene and welfare conditions of the chicken are much lower over there than here. Do you opt for free-range or organic chickens? If not, then the welfare (and to some extent hygiene) conditions aren't actually that important to you.

Is the most important factor the risk of salmonella contamination? Supposedly, chlorination reduces the chance to about 2%. Guess what the current percentage is in the UK... 4%

More info at: https://www.theweek.co.uk/100038/how-safe-is-chlorine-washed-chicken

"The Food Standards Agency in the UK found similar results with British chicken, indicating that chlorine-washed chicken does not contain more harmful bacteria than that produced in the EU."

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't believe the quality of the end product is any different to what we already have. However, the minimum hygiene and welfare conditions of the chicken are much lower over there than here. Do you opt for free-range or organic chickens? If not, then the welfare (and to some extent hygiene) conditions aren't actually that important to you.

Is the most important factor the risk of salmonella contamination? Supposedly, chlorination reduces the chance to about 2%. Guess what the current percentage is in the UK... 4%

More info at: https://www.theweek.co.uk/100038/how-safe-is-chlorine-washed-chicken

"The Food Standards Agency in the UK found similar results with British chicken, indicating that chlorine-washed chicken does not contain more harmful bacteria than that produced in the EU."

Percentage of the US population affected by food-borne bacteria in 2017:

• Salmonella - 0.37% of the population
  • Campylobacter - 0.4% of the population

Percentage of the UK population affected by food-borne bacteria in 2017:

• Salmonella - 0.015%
  • Campylobacter - 0.096%

I rest my case.

14 minutes ago, eddie said:

Percentage of the US population affected by food-borne bacteria in 2017:

• Salmonella - 0.37% of the population
  • Campylobacter - 0.4% of the population

Percentage of the UK population affected by food-borne bacteria in 2017:

• Salmonella - 0.015%
  • Campylobacter - 0.096%

I rest my case.

Wouldn't that be down to the cooking process as much as anything else? Perhaps the Americans need to learn how to cook their chickens properly.

"Brazil sent one million salmonella-infected chickens to UK in two years". 20% of Brazillian chickens had salmonella, but you're afraid of 2% of American chickens? https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jul/03/brazil-one-million-salmonella-infected-chickens-uk

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wouldn't that be down to the cooking process as much as anything else? Perhaps the Americans need to learn how to cook their chickens properly.

"Brazil sent one million salmonella-infected chickens to UK in two years". 20% of Brazillian chickens had salmonella, but you're afraid of 2% of American chickens? https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jul/03/brazil-one-million-salmonella-infected-chickens-uk

The point is, the washing of chicken with chlorine solution is accepted in the USA as a substitute for sanitary conditions. A vote for Brexit is a vote for the erosion of standards. Still, just so long as you can have bendy bananas, that's ok, I suppose.

18 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I don't really know why we're stressing about catching disease from chickens. After hard Brexit we'll be eating rats and waste food out of bins. Chlorine-washed chicken will be for the rich people

Perhaps that's why Hunt has now decided 'Fox hunting bad'. After the rats have all been eaten, we will have to eat the foxes.

Luxury.

Archived