The Politics Thread 2019

David

2 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Not sure I entirely agree. The mess is they can't agree how to stop it.

In a similar intellectual vein try Occams Razor: The simplest solution is usually the best. i.e. Leave-no deal no negotiation just do it.

That's not Occam's Razor.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

That's not Occam's Razor.

Occam's razor (also Ockham's razor or Ocham's razor (Latin: novacula Occami); further known as the law of parsimony (Latin: lex parsimoniae)) is the problem-solving principle that essentially states that "simpler solutions are more likely to be correct than complex ones.

54 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Occam's razor (also Ockham's razor or Ocham's razor (Latin: novacula Occami); further known as the law of parsimony (Latin: lex parsimoniae)) is the problem-solving principle that essentially states that "simpler solutions are more likely to be correct than complex ones.

"When presented with competing hypotheses to solve a problem, one should select the solution with the fewest assumptions" 

All Brexit options are almost 100% assumptions. I could argue than if you don't change anything, you'll not have to presume anything, so Occam's Razor suggests remain is the correct choice. 

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Some chief Brexiteers in the Tory party pine for a return of those 'dark, satanic mills'.

The good old days, where raped women could pass their child to the workhouse rather than getting an unethical abortion.

I don't - but I suspect that some of them have short-sold Sterling and stand to make money the weaker the currency gets.

Parliament has been suspended for the day, so there can be no indicative votes (for what it's worth) on Monday. Apparently the roof is leaking and part of the HoC is flooded.

I'm only surprised that nobody has made a gag about "Tory wets" (you might need to have been interested in politics for some time to understand that reference).

3 hours ago, 86 points said:

Well 86 points you were out at the crack of dawn, outdoor birthed because you Derbyshire Gritstones are hard as...well gritstone ...it's nice clean textbook delivery, one any bowler would be proud of & your soon cleaned up & off to the bar for a stiff drink.

Your aptly a Ram...& having accessed you I kid you not your a ruddy good one, best Ram this week..no black wool in your tail, bright/lively, good markings, clean pink skin, good structure ... early assessment says you'll get registered as a A1 specimen in Autumn...so your keeping your nads.

Your penned now, so we can make sure alls ok. Then it's back out....next year I'll be naming all our lambs after Dcfc members if there going to come out this good...apologies, my spray works pretty poor but you would wriggle lol

I'll get a better photo when the opportunity presents....keep up that renewable energy.

IMG_2960.thumb.JPG.a492f53990156a25d4ad68f2d2eb435d.JPGIMG_2965.thumb.JPG.5ff3e50fe9889a3d03cb843ee04f93d1.JPGJust realised I've written in your box instead of here...hmm never mind

1 hour ago, sheeponacid said:

IMG_2960.thumb.JPG.a492f53990156a25d4ad68f2d2eb435d.JPGIMG_2965.thumb.JPG.5ff3e50fe9889a3d03cb843ee04f93d1.JPGJust realised I've written in your box instead of here...hmm never mind

Brilliant! I'm especially pleased that my nads are still attached ? I'll shall be printing the pic out in due course. Good luck with the rest of lambing fella ?

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, eddie said:

Parliament has been suspended for the day, so there can be no indicative votes (for what it's worth) on Monday. Apparently the roof is leaking and part of the HoC is flooded.

I'm only surprised that nobody has made a gag about "Tory wets" (you might need to have been interested in politics for some time to understand that reference).

Im surprised Jeremy isn't going in anyway as i understand he has the ability to walk on water or maybe turn it into wine.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

I'd have sealed the chamber and left them to it.

What doesn’t make sense with both Labour and the Conservatives is they both supported the result of the referendum at the last general election yet they are both trying to tie us into a deals with the EU indefinitely with no say in any future arrangements or how it is run. Surely if they supported the referendum we would have left the EU by now.

Sith Happens
6 minutes ago, Gritters said:

What doesn’t make sense with both Labour and the Conservatives is they both supported the result of the referendum at the last general election yet they are both trying to tie us into a deals with the EU indefinitely with no say in any future arrangements or how it is run. Surely if they supported the referendum we would have left the EU by now.

Sadly most politicians put their own interests before the country.

46 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Possibly because they now know more than they did a couple of years ago, and that the forecasts of a 10% hit on GDP has them worried?

Anyway, it is now looking even more likely that we will leave on 12 April with no deal. The ERG filibuster in the House of Lords means that the bill aiming to tie Theresa May into asking for another extension to avoid 'no deal' cannot now be passed until at least Monday, cannot receive Royal Assent until at least Tuesday and will not give Parliament time to vote on any extension until Wednesday - the day that Theresa May has to have an agreement in place to present to the EU.

So Parliament will then be faced with the dilemma of accepting a no-deal exit or revoking Article 50 - unless either May and Corbyn come to some suitable arrangement (which may or may not involve 'putting it to the people').

If we do leave without a deal, then all I can say is that the ERG played their cards brilliantly.

On 03/04/2019 at 20:02, eddie said:

Sorry, I didn't read it - yesterday I was very busy and this thread is now about 10 pages longer.

Anyone appointed in a fixed-term position serves their term, and then somebody else is elected or appointed as a replacement. I believe that the president is nominated by the council but has to be elected by the European Parliament - who are themselves the people elected by the proles like you and me. So it's arguably more democratic than, say, the mechanism which made Theresa May the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

And indeed the mechanism that would replace her.

Round 1: 300-odd Tory mps

Round 2: 150k Tory party members. 

The latter currently deselecting anyone such as nick boles who is not proving themselves a sufficiently pure Brexit zealot. 

This is our "democracy".

Archived