The Politics Thread 2019

David

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

There is a lot wrong with the EU as an institution, but very little wrong with it as a concept.

Remain and reform was always the best way forward. The most democratic way forward in fact. There is enough political will across the EU27 to make that happen, but we clever British souls decided we'd rather leave (even though we had no idea how to leave)

Now all the brexiteers have done is stuffed the EU parliament with a bunch of dummies who won't even turn up. How's that for unaccountable?

And now Farage is claiming that the £450k he was gifted by Arran Banks was a purely private matter and "nothing to do with politics". Seriously? Who just gives someone that sort of money without expecting something for it? I hope both these slimeballs go down for corruption

Spot on Stiv. Absolutely the EU and its unelected officials, Commissioner’s and a whole bunch of fat self serving hangers on are dreadful. The concept however is magical. We Europe, who share history and culture who have developed together, have similar ethics and laws, trade happily and understand each other’s modus vivendi are a great counter balance to the other great powers of China and the US. We don’t exactly have much clout as a post industrial nation of 70 million brits. 

The costs of the EU and some of the ridiculous micro managing of laws and regulations are frankly dire and irrelavent yet they keep a lot of over paid bureaucrats in jobs. Wrong wrong wrong  but We should be in it to sort this out not going off to sulk in a corner with our own pitiful one nation toy box 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 25/06/2019 at 15:06, GboroRam said:

That was a bit of a sly move from the Brexit supporters. They said the technology exists, which it does.

It's called computers.

Unfortunately there is no software that does what they want it to, or any workable method that can be described to a developer in terms they could make it do what it needs to.

I think I have also read that whilst technology can assist in Customs checks away from borders, there is not one single land border in the world that relis only on this method for Customs checks.

3 minutes ago, jono said:

Let’s talk about Chris Williamson ! Got off the hook by his mates it seems. 

Utterly ridiculous situation, and of course fence-sitter Corbyn is now saying that it wasn't his decision to reinstate him. Coupled with Bumbling Boris now seemingly distancing himself from his previous television-induced announcement that he is in favour of an inquiry into Islamophobia within the Conservative Party, it is a sad day.

3 hours ago, jono said:

Let’s talk about Chris Williamson ! Got off the hook by his mates it seems. 

Certainly an interesting one. He's my MP, I voted for him and in very minor dealings with him as a constituent he was very good. However I do believe that he was utterly stupid to open his gob on anti-semitism the way that he did, in the current environment where every little word on the subject is scrutinised by the media, and the anti-Corbyn brigade will pile in on anyone for the slightest thing. He effectively kicked the hornet's nest clean over.

He was suspended and reprimanded with a formal warning - and he wrote a long and thoughtful apology recognising his errors. Do we live in a world where no one is allowed to be forgiven?

27 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

He was suspended and reprimanded with a formal warning - and he wrote a long and thoughtful apology recognising his errors. Do we live in a world where no one is allowed to be forgiven?

Answers on the back of a postcard to Danny Baker...

13 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Backlash, even from the loon's of momentum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48790803

I can't quite put my finger on what doesn't feel right about the constant anti-semitism rows in the Labour Party. I mean, not so long ago, Tom Watson was having a go at Corbyn for interfering with the disciplinary proceedings - so they set up an independent panel to review cases. Now that panel makes a decision and Watson is calling on Corbyn to intervene because he disputes the decision....

14 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I can't quite put my finger on what doesn't feel right about the constant anti-semitism rows in the Labour Party. I mean, not so long ago, Tom Watson was having a go at Corbyn for interfering with the disciplinary proceedings - so they set up an independent panel to review cases. Now that panel makes a decision and Watson is calling on Corbyn to intervene because he disputes the decision....

True enough but when the “independent” committee meeting is cancelled because a member with the “correct” attitude can’t attend it tells you all you need to know about who and what is running the party and how it operates to achieve its agenda. 

19 minutes ago, jono said:

True enough but when the “independent” committee meeting is cancelled because a member with the “correct” attitude can’t attend it tells you all you need to know about who and what is running the party and how it operates to achieve its agenda. 

Also true - although this just sounds like standard political party behaviour from local councils through to national government.

Reminds me of the old adage that the people most likely to want to become politicians are the people least suited to the job.

Roll on fully automated direct democracy!

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Well seeing as there is a tech company in the US who appointed an AI algorithm onto its board of directors, perhaps the next tech development could be to elect a bot as an MP....

We're going to have one as PM soon?

10 hours ago, StivePesley said:

I agree it's strange. 

I don't think I've ever heard an anti-Semitic comment in my life, yet I hear racist ones on a regular basis.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd say after many attempts at undermining the party leadership, the opposition to Corbyn has finally chanced upon a stick to beat him with that resonates with his opponents inside and outside of the party.

As a Labour member, I'm beginning to  despair at his leadership, and those who advise him on this particular issue, controversy should be the easiest thing to avoid, yet he can't or won't address it.

It's so easily avoidable, yet he seems to blunder into the traps set.

7 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I agree it's strange. 

I don't think I've ever heard an anti-Semitic comment in my life, yet I hear racist ones on a regular basis.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd say after many attempts at undermining the party leadership, the opposition to Corbyn has finally chanced upon a stick to beat him with that resonates with his opponents inside and outside of the party.

As a Labour member, I'm beginning to  despair at his leadership, and those who advise him on this particular issue, controversy should be the easiest thing to avoid, yet he can't or won't address it.

It's so easily avoidable, yet he seems to blunder into the traps set.

Corbyn is totally incompetent Rev. He doesn’t have a weakness on a single issue, he is weak on every issue.  We have had one of the worst Governments in many a decade, and he hasn’t been able to lay a glove on them. Over the last 3 years his performance has been risible. 

9 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Corbyn is totally incompetent Rev. He doesn’t have a weakness on a single issue, he is weak on every issue.  We have had one of the worst Governments in many a decade, and he hasn’t been able to lay a glove on them. Over the last 3 years his performance has been risible. 

Nonsense.

Only last week he won bronze at the annual Islington allotment show for his prize Cucumber.

It would have been gold, but a last minute dirty dew derailed his shot at glory.

At least I think that's what he said.

I don't know much about what is going on in the Labour Party with regards to antisemitism. It's a topic I feel like I'm probably on a line, maybe over a line, on. I don't know. 

I don't agree with the state of Israel existing, but it does and to argue for its destruction seems unreasonable and divisive. However it also seems there are some who see any criticism of the state of Israel as an antisemitic act. 

Does my position of not agreeing with the state of Israel mean I am antisemitic? I believe some would see it that way. I can see why some people want to see the end of the Israeli state. Are they all antisemitic? I'd like to think it is possible to say that without being accused of a hate crime. 

I know it seems hypocritical when compared to my views on Islam, but is it? I support the rights of people to follow the religion of their choice, as long as it doesn't affect the rights of everyone else. A religion which takes ownership of a stretch of land based on an alleged holy book saying it was promised to them, or a historic claim so old it loses all relevance, isn't managing to not affect others' rights, which is my main claim. 

The persecution of the Jews was very real and the antisemitism of history is so far removed from the arguments around the Labour Party, it feels like an engineered outrage rather than a legitimate concern. 

Archived