Jump to content
David

The Politics Thread 2019

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Has it dawned on people yet that one of those 5 bozos is going to be the next Prime Minister?

Yes but Boris actually does listen to others and he will offer far more to far more people. He will be the greenest PM, he will fund major infrastructure projects, he will deliver on Brexit, he will increase the tax threshold. But none of that will please some people....

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Yes but Boris actually does listen to others and he will offer far more to far more people. He will be the greenest PM, he will fund major infrastructure projects, he will deliver on Brexit, he will increase the tax threshold. But none of that will please some people....

Great!

Let's turn that into his Key Performance Indicators - 

1. He will be the greenest PM

2. He will fund major infrastructure projects

3. He will deliver on Brexit

4. He will increase the tax threshold

 

I would like to add (as a Reviewer)

5. Increase in minimum wage

6. Increase in average earnings across the board

7. No increase in unemployment

 

*to be reviewed two years after appointment😀

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Yes but Boris actually does listen to others and he will offer far more to far more people. He will be the greenest PM, he will fund major infrastructure projects, he will deliver on Brexit, he will increase the tax threshold. But none of that will please some people....

Oh my sides..........🤣

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, eddie said:

Might I remind you that the party concerned are still called "The Conservative and Unionist Party"

Thought they were the Conservative and Unionist Negotiation Team 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

It's really not.

OK so if it's a strong line then at least offer a bit more substance than "Corbyn is a big fan of the Venezuelan Govt" (example comments that illustrate this?) and they are experiencing hyper-inflation therefore Corbyn's (alleged) fandom means that somehow we will also get hyper-inflation and  a wrecked economy. We have the 5th largest economy in the world. Venezuela is something like the 70th largest. But anyway - it's all speculation. I can understand people being wary of a party that plans to make radical changes to the economy in the pursuit of fixing the inequality gap that plagues us, (particularly when faced with a media onslaught against them)  but as the Institute For Fiscal Studies said 

Quote

The important thing to understand about the Labour manifesto last year, and the speech by John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, last week, was that they were not about offering an alternative to austerity. They were offering something much, much more dramatic than that — an alternative to the form of market capitalism practised in this country for at least the past 40 years.

The time seems ripe for such an alternative. The economy has had a truly dismal decade. You know the story. Record lows in earnings growth, productivity growth and interest rates. Big drops in the number of young people getting on the housing ladder. Record government deficits leading to the biggest ever set of spending cuts. No wonder it feels like time for something completely different, be that Brexit or Labour’s economic policy, or both.

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Uptherams said:

Yes but Boris actually does listen to others and he will offer far more to far more people. He will be the greenest PM, he will fund major infrastructure projects, he will deliver on Brexit, he will increase the tax threshold. But none of that will please some people....

sarcastic utter crap GIF

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

OK so if it's a strong line then at least offer a bit more substance than "Corbyn is a big fan of the Venezuelan Govt" (example comments that illustrate this?)

10 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

and they are experiencing hyper-inflation therefore Corbyn's (alleged) fandom means that somehow we will also get hyper-inflation and  a wrecked economy. We have the 5th largest economy in the world. Venezuela is something like the 70th largest. But anyway - it's all speculation. 

 

Exactly. Venezuela has the 2nd biggest oil reserves in the world and yet due to economic mis-management, their GDP has been shrinking at 15-20% per annum in recent years.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Has it dawned on people yet that one of those 5 bozos is going to be the next Prime Minister?

Four bozos - I actually think Rory Stewart could be the only one to bring back together the mess that two of the other four have given us. He won't get the chance, he'll be gone by tonight, and then we will be looking at the lesser of two evils. Bsically Boris or the other guy (likely Hunt - how mad is the world when I am actually wishing for Keremy Junt as the most reasoned of the lot).

From there I don't know what I would want - either some sort of semi-mad Tory douche like Gove or Hunt that would 'only' take us back to the world of Thatcher or the total 'hell in a hand basket' madness that Johnson would take us towards. A sort of scenario that would force us all to stop moaning and get doing. The risk with the latter is the Farage factor, that too many exit stage right than stage left and then we are into the darkest of waters.

My conclusion - do not, and I mean do not, under estimate where all of this could end up taking us. Ten years from now we could quite easily be laughing that we thought Brexit was as bad as it could get.

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

 Venezuela has the 2nd biggest oil reserves in the world and yet due to economic mis-management, their GDP has been shrinking at 15-20% per annum in recent years.

Not really a lot in that video to disagree with, but the phrase "due to economic mis-management" is a bit glib. There is an awful lot more to it than that. In fact if they didn't have the oil reserves, they might have been more successful at implementing socialism!

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

It's really not.

Well there were hundreds of billions of pounds of spending pledges in the 2017 manifesto that Corbyn himself said on the day of the launch that he didn't know where the money would be coming from (printing it?) or just added to national debt (defecit spending).

Those same billions that Johnson, Hunt and Gove want to spend on all the new tax policies that they are planning to introduce if and when they become our new PM.

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Those same billions that Johnson, Hunt and Gove want to spend on all the new tax policies that they are planning to introduce if and when they become our new PM.

and the half a billion that the Tories had to bung the DUP to prop up their administration. For some reason, no one ever really questions where the Tories find their money from. Yet when a politician actually pledges that he will be channeling money into the general public's direction we all start demanding to know the finer details of how it's being funded. Weird

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Those same billions that Johnson, Hunt and Gove want to spend on all the new tax policies that they are planning to introduce if and when they become our new PM.

Johnson's tax cut policy is stupid and I've said so a few days ago. I'm not a Tory voter, by the way.

31 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

and the half a billion that the Tories had to bung the DUP to prop up their administration. For some reason, no one ever really questions where the Tories find their money from. Yet when a politician actually pledges that he will be channeling money into the general public's direction we all start demanding to know the finer details of how it's being funded. Weird

You're really comparing £0.5bn for Northen Ireland projects with at least £350bn of extra borrowing Labour had in their 2017 manifesto - even if their other tax & spend policies added up?. Wow.

The IFS (who you quoted earlier) weren't very impressed about that..

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-the-labour-manifesto

 

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

You're really comparing £0.5bn for Northen Ireland projects with at least £350bn of extra borrowing Labour had in their 2017 manifesto - even if their other tax & spend policies added up?. Wow.

No - I'm comparing the fact that no one asks how that money was raised. Considering it wasn't budgeted for, or expected..

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Uptherams said:

Yes but Boris actually does listen to others and he will offer far more to far more people. He will be the greenest PM, he will fund major infrastructure projects, he will deliver on Brexit, he will increase the tax threshold. But none of that will please some people....

Actually I'll give you that one on reflection. He's got all those pot plants left over from that dopey bridge project in London to use up.....🤣

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

No - I'm comparing the fact that no one asks how that money was raised. Considering it wasn't budgeted for, or expected..

0.5bn is about 0.06% of government expenditure. 

Thats like someone on £45k a year getting an unexpected bill of £27. Small change really. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Actually I'll give you that one on reflection. He's got all those pot plants left over from that dopey bridge project in London to use up.....🤣

Love him or hate him, he doesn't sit on his hands. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Uptherams said:

Maybe lay off the pies if your sides are hurting 👍🙂

Perhaps you ought to cut down on the amount of crack you are smoking. Were you actually Boris Johnson's fag at Eton?

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

0.5bn is about 0.06% of government expenditure. 

Thats like someone on £45k a year getting an unexpected bill of £27. Small change really. 

Haha - the DUP should have asked for more then! Small potatoes to the likes of you and me 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.