The Politics Thread 2019

David

3 minutes ago, David said:

Whilst that is true, some would argue the reason Labour will not win an election is because of the leader, Mr Corbyn.

Would people vote for the Conservatives with Boris Johnson as the leader? I’m not so sure they would.

A Johnson v Corbyn election would be very interesting. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a third party pick up serious number of votes.

You wouldn't think so but a recent poll gives the Tory's a 140 majority if bojo becomes leader...far higher than any other candidate.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Because that is how comedy works is it? As my old chum @maxjam says frequently "context is everything". 

And the right yeah? Nigel Farage is the one calling for the Police to investigate her for making a joke on a comedy program. Yet he made comments about how "he'd be willing to pick up a rifle over Brexit" not long after Jo Cox was murdered in the street..

So,you think it would have been ok then if applied to a minority candidate then?

It's pretty indefensible in the current climate,no matter who the target of the comment was.

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

You wouldn't think so but a recent poll gives the Tory's a 140 majority if bojo becomes leader...far higher than any other candidate.

Polls schmolls, I’ve never seen or been asked in any of these polls. How do you go about voting in one?

7 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Bloody hell, really?.

Genuinely surprised at that.

The electorate are really stupid, aren't they.

*cue Eddie & Brexit related comment*

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

So,you think it would have been ok then if applied to a minority candidate then?

I'd have to hear the context, but right now I'm struggling to think of a context where that would be funny

Not that I said I thought the Jo Brand joke was funny - you're just assuming that's what I think because you want an argument about it

Sorry to disappoint

8 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I'd have to hear the context, but right now I'm struggling to think of a context where that would be funny

Not that I said I thought the Jo Brand joke was funny - you're just assuming that's what I think because you want an argument about it

Sorry to disappoint

I think the only assuming going on is from yourself there,I certainly didn't say that and quite why you think I want an arguement with you,when I genuinely want to know why you thought it was acceptable?

My only disappointment is your lack of clarity over whether it's acceptable to make this joke in respect of a right wing politicians and whether it's still acceptable if the politicians targetted were a minority? 

Never mind whether it's funny or not.

41 minutes ago, David said:

I should have distanced myself from the left when I posted that, tbh I was just focused on redeeming myself with Eddie after I promised to post something against the right if I didn’t agree.

Eddie is a shark whilst you’re a tadpole, I have no desire to redeem myself to a tadpole in the future.

By all means don't feel the need to. I'm sure there's a variety of other marine life you can self-validate yourself against. Perhaps if you think you've outgrown tadpoles you can go full frog next..........?

15 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

quite why you think I want an arguement with you,when I genuinely want to know why you thought it was acceptable?

because you literally replied to one of my posts on a totally different subject and asked me directly if I thought it was acceptable or not!!

Why do you care what I think?

I have neither said it's acceptable/unacceptable or funny/unfunny.

Ask someone else. I'm not interested in your false equivalence nonsense.

Now back to politics...

12 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

because you literally replied to one of my posts on a totally different subject and asked me directly if I thought it was acceptable or not!!

Why do you care what I think?

I have neither said it's acceptable/unacceptable or funny/unfunny.

Ask someone else. I'm not interested in your false equivalence nonsense.

Now back to politics...

I take that as you don't want to answer the question then.

Very politician like but conversely quite revealing of your politics.

10 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Very politician like but conversely quite revealing of your politics.

I think if you read the rest of my contributions on this thread you would get a decent idea of my politics, but feel free to take my disinterest in your pointed question as the BIG REVEAL if that helps you in some way ?

38 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I think if you read the rest of my contributions on this thread you would get a decent idea of my politics, but feel free to take my disinterest in your pointed question as the BIG REVEAL if that helps you in some way ?

I think I get the idea...still quite surprised you weren't willing to give together a coherent answer to my question but hey ho.

26 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Boris way ahead in the first round.

The games really now should begin - will other candidates start to coalesce around a "stop Boris" figure? At what point do the sondings in the conservative membership begin? Loathsome, "Mad Dog" McVey and that bloke nobody knew have been knocked out.

I say Matthew Parris on Newsnight the other night who basically inferred that Boris Johnson's campaign was being run with a large element of fear and intimidation because he has a whip on his campaign team and they are getting up to all sorts of skullduggery.

Unbelievable if true, but it could get interesting if determined investigators start uncovering murky tales.......?

5 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

The games really now should begin - will other candidates start to coalesce around a "stop Boris" figure? At what point do the sondings in the conservative membership begin? Loathsome, "Mad Dog" McVey and that bloke nobody knew have been knocked out.

I say Matthew Parris on Newsnight the other night who basically inferred that Boris Johnson's campaign was being run with a large element of fear and intimidation because he has a whip on his campaign team and they are getting up to all sorts of skullduggery.

Unbelievable if true, but it could get interesting if determined investigators start uncovering murky tales.......?

Drug taking, adulterous affairs, bribery, lying and cheating, how murky do you want it? and that's just one of the candidates for the tory leadership.

7 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure this is true, I think it's widely accepted that the 'deal' is garbage. 

I don’t think it is, or “widely just means Corbyn and the conservative hard brexiteers, Purely because it doesn’t suit their selfish power grab politics.

but as someone who would have preferred to remain and reform the fat overpaid EU then I would say that wouldn’t I ?

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Can't stand the woman. What did she say? Whats your views on it?

She made a joke suggesting that milkshakes being thrown at right wing politicians was a bit limp and maybe battery acid would be better.

i love the hierarchy being mocked but in the current climate it really isn’t a joke, or if it is to some it isn’t funny to me. Nasty and dangerous

She thrives on being shocking but I can’t help feeling there is a line and given the number of loopy loos these days it was pure stupidity or arrogance. And while we would all vilify a right wing “joker” somehow I suspect because of her support base we’ll all be told it was just a ”laugh and to chill out” 

I’m not so sure.

3 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Can't stand the woman. What did she say? Whats your views on it?

47 minutes ago, jono said:

She made a joke suggesting that milkshakes being thrown at right wing politicians was a bit limp and maybe battery acid would be better.

i love the hierarchy being mocked but in the current climate it really isn’t a joke, or if it is to some it isn’t funny to me. Nasty and dangerous

She thrives on being shocking but I can’t help feeling there is a line and given the number of loopy loos these days it was pure stupidity or arrogance. And while we would all vilify a right wing “joker” somehow I suspect because of her support base we’ll all be told it was just a ”laugh and to chill out” 

I’m not so sure.

Found a copy of her comments 'joke' and yes it's not humorous. I think she may have realised this after she spoke and tried to back-track. But she'd said it and what ever said after wasn't going to make it sound any better.

5 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Bloody hell, really?.

Genuinely surprised at that.

The electorate are really stupid, aren't they.

*cue Eddie & Brexit related comment*

Just a prediction.

If Brexit turns out as badly as a lot of people expect it to do so, the hardest-hit areas of the country will be those that voted most heavily to leave the EU - the very same areas that now seem to be embracing 'no deal' more than any other, and the hardest-hit Brexiteers WILL blame Remainers or the EU for everything.

Archived