The Politics Thread 2019

David

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

That's because it's a compromise by necessity, so people entrenched on both sides of the argument hate it.

It's actually a pretty good deal IMO if you look at it.

Definitely agree that it was essentially the best deal that we could get in the circumstances.

The alternatives were clearly "leave with no deal at all" and "leave with a much better deal than we currently have by way of membership". The latter was clearly never ever going to happen and the former leads to so much uncertainty that it was by definition always going to be the worst deal possible (and you'll note that the majority of people telling you that no deal will be fine are so rich that no deal will indeed be fine FOR THEM)

The Northern Ireland issue was always going to be the breaker. The deal as it stands essentially puts off making a decision about that (because it's too difficult) and the suspicion is that it would not get sorted any time soon, leaving NI in limbo indefinitely.

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

Boris looks like the idiot younger brother of Trump.

And sadly sounds like him. All this refusal to apologise for all his racist gaffes, to show no shame and just claim he is "straight-talking" and paint anyone who has a problem with that as the ones at fault is pure Trump

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Lol....I think you needed to be a member for at least a month to be eligible to vote...just to.prevent the kind of mass momentum type surge which led to Corbyn being cemented in by young polarised activists.

3 months I believe in the Tory party case. But since most of the members are so old they are likely to be completely gaga and not remember past the day before yesterday its probably a moot point ?

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

That's because it's a compromise by necessity, so people entrenched on both sides of the argument hate it.

It's actually a pretty good deal IMO if you look at it.

I cannot claim to have read the 585 pages. However, from the copious amount of political commentary I have digested, I am happy to believe that it was the best deal that May could have got in the circumstances.

The problems all stem from the fact that May herself defined "the circumstances" with her silly red lines and we now cannot row back from that. The rest of Parliament feels no sense of ownership - to get to that point we should have had the cross party rowing BEFORE invoking Art 50.

Its now too late and it is for that catastrophic error that I think May will be remembered - whatever the eventual outcome of the Brexit process. There were always going to be hugely difficult compromises given the different interest at play.?

49 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Definitely agree that it was essentially the best deal that we could get in the circumstances.

The alternatives were clearly "leave with no deal at all" and "leave with a much better deal than we currently have by way of membership". The latter was clearly never ever going to happen and the former leads to so much uncertainty that it was by definition always going to be the worst deal possible (and you'll note that the majority of people telling you that no deal will be fine are so rich that no deal will indeed be fine FOR THEM)

The Northern Ireland issue was always going to be the breaker. The deal as it stands essentially puts off making a decision about that (because it's too difficult) and the suspicion is that it would not get sorted any time soon, leaving NI in limbo indefinitely.

And sadly sounds like him. All this refusal to apologise for all his racist gaffes, to show no shame and just claim he is "straight-talking" and paint anyone who has a problem with that as the ones at fault is pure Trump

What do you think about jo brands "joke" yesterday?....acceptable or not?

7 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

What do you think about jo brands "joke" yesterday?....acceptable or not?

haha - when you consider that it was on Radio 4's Heresy program - which is essentially a high brow edge-lord show, then it's laughable that people are even making news out of it

22 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

haha - when you consider that it was on Radio 4's Heresy program - which is essentially a high brow edge-lord show, then it's laughable that people are even making news out of it

Ok,so would you feel the same if a more right wing candidate made the same comment in respect of a minority candidate (Asian,black,lgbt, disabled etc)?

Is that still ok?

Personally I have always enjoyed Jo brands comedy,I like her wit and cutting edge but I think she went too far on this occasion.

6 minutes ago, David said:

Haven’t read the last 30 odd pages so forgive me if it’s been shared before. 

He had a point in 2007.

When a PM stands down, should trigger a general election automatically. 

Morning Jeremy.........tough day ahead what with getting those rebellious MPs wot defied you back in line ?

22 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Imagine the level of outcry if the same joke had been made by someone like Jim Davidson about Jeremy Corbyn or Sadiq Khan.

The double standards of the left is disgusting.

13 minutes ago, David said:

He had a point in 2007.

Dunno tbh - you still have the party you've voted for.  Worse case scenario is you shore up Theresa May's position until the end of her term so your party remains in power, gives the PM free reign to go nuts.

I do believe that ordinary MPs should face a by-election though if they change party mid-term (all those CUK MPs for a start - I don't believe anyone in their right mind voted for Anna Soubry - she was just happened to be the Tory MP in her constituency!)

7 minutes ago, David said:

He had a point in 2007.

Agreed - but constitutionally it doesn't automatically mean that.

All the incoming PM has to do is tell the Queen that they can still command a majority in the house.

Historically incoming PMs never last very long before a general election is called for one reason or another

I think I'm right in saying that this is the first time in history that an incoming PM will be inheriting a minority government, and therefore can't actually command a majority unless the DUP pledge to continue their confidence and supply agreement.

Unchartered waters I think

12 minutes ago, David said:

Nope. You vote for a Party and a manifesto, not a PM / President

I would agree if whoever takes over shifts policy to the extent so that it no longer resembles the previous pledges.

8 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Morning Jeremy.........tough day ahead what with getting those rebellious MPs wot defied you back in line ?

I should have distanced myself from the left when I posted that, tbh I was just focused on redeeming myself with Eddie after I promised to post something against the right if I didn’t agree.

Eddie is a shark whilst you’re a tadpole, I have no desire to redeem myself to a tadpole in the future.

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Ok,so you feel exactly the same if a comedian had made the same comments about a minority Asian/black/disabled etc candidate

Because that is how comedy works is it? As my old chum @maxjam says frequently "context is everything". 

3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

The double standards of the left is disgusting.

And the right yeah? Nigel Farage is the one calling for the Police to investigate her for making a joke on a comedy program. Yet he made comments about how "he'd be willing to pick up a rifle over Brexit" not long after Jo Cox was murdered in the street..

2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Nope. You vote for a Party and a manifesto, not a PM / President

I would agree if whoever takes over shifts policy to the extent so that it no longer resembles the previous pledges.

Whilst that is true, some would argue the reason Labour will not win an election is because of the leader, Mr Corbyn.

Would people vote for the Conservatives with Boris Johnson as the leader? I’m not so sure they would.

A Johnson v Corbyn election would be very interesting. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a third party pick up serious number of votes.

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The BBC has defended Jo Brand against claims she incited violence through comments made during a radio show.

The comedian, a guest on BBC Radio 4's Heresy on Tuesday, joked about throwing battery acid at "unpleasant characters" rather than milkshakes.

Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage, who was hit by a milkshake last month, said "the police need to act".

The BBC said the jokes made on Heresy are "deliberately provocative as the title implies".

It added they are "not intended to be taken seriously."

Brand, speaking after Mr Farage and a number of far-right European election candidates were covered in milkshakes during campaign walkabouts in May, said "Why bother with a milkshake when you could get some battery acid?"

any thoughts ?

I like Jo Brand but it was a bit of a silly thing to say for comedic effect.

It would have been better (and funnier?) to advocate wee or poo being thrown at them - and I'd pay to see Nigel Farage & mates get pelted with that!

Archived