David

The Politics Thread 2019

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

We've crashed one deadline and you are talking about crashing a second. 

Why will a third one mean it gets sorted quickly? 

You misunderstood....we leave in October come what may....the EU will be keen to sort a deal at that point!

7 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

You misunderstood....we leave in October come what may....the EU will be keen to sort a deal at that point!

Ah, you still believe that we hold most of the cards, and the EUs bored indifference is just a bluff. Gotcha. 

44 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I don't think they give a flying phook any more. Why would they want to waste time on a a people, a government and a country that just can't be trusted? Enjoy your turnips.

Posted (edited)

Ah, you still believe that we hold most of the cards, and the EUs bored indifference is just a bluff. Gotcha. 

“I propose that we aim for a trade agreement covering all sectors and with zero tariffs on goods” – Donald Tusk, President of the European Council, 16th March 2018

Having a no deal on the table means the EU is more likely to accept this. The EU wants £39bn upfront as part of a withdrawal agreement. The UK wants the withdrawal and future trade relationship to be negotiated together. We will most likely push the notion of no payment and a free trade deal until just hours before the 31st of October deadline. Then it comes down to who blinks first, do they accept or do we offer the £39bn. Either way we are not offering £39bn upfront for no trade deal. 

Edited by Uptherams

3 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Stripping it back to basics is the only logical way out off it...

The referendum was a binary choice and the govt promised to act on the result.

And they haven't which had caused this distress.

So set a date to negotiate a deal (which we have,again) then stick to it,come what may)

If we haven't negotiated a deal with the e.u by then,you can guarantee that one will be sorted extremely quickly afterwards.

And then we move on with everything else that's important to the country.

Exactly. The end state will always be a free trade deal. Whether that happens before we leave the EU or not. It's malign to pretend to others that if we leave with no deal, that's how it will always be. 

They are just better negotiators than may ever was.....

When it comes to the quick,we will get a decent trade agreement which both sides will tolerate.

1 hour ago, jono said:

This thread is almost as violently internecine as a Chris Martin “discussion”

but not quite as bad 🤣

I dismiss anyone who says that Chris Martin would be crap if we brought him back into the team as PROJECT FEAR

I prefer to live in the past when it was all goals goals goals from him, before we had that flippin Jack Marriott - comin over here takin CM9s job

PAH

Posted (edited)

Lets assume that the EU blink first and offer us a new deal. What sort of deal will we have to get, that would  enable our MPs to vote it through Parliament. Is there an actual deal that would be acceptable to the majority of our MPs. Is the prospect of a no deal brexit looking like the only outcome after three years of negotiations.

When the nation voted to leave the EU. How many of them voted to leave with no deal and how many voted to leave with one of those promised easily arranged deals. 

If we leave without a deal. A prospect that looks to be not only unacceptable to a large number of MPs but also a section of the public that voted leave. 

Come October when we leave the EU. Will our departure come with the full support of all those people who voted leave or will it be an event that will only satisfy some people.

A call for a second referendum was deemed by leave campaigners to be undemocratic. Wouldn't a no deal brexit without the agreement of the majority of the country be even more undemocratic.

Edited by 1of4

7 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Lets assume that the EU blink first and offer us a new deal. What sort of deal will we have to get, that would  enable our MPs to vote it through Parliament. Is there an actual deal that would be acceptable to the majority of our MPs. Is the prospect of a no deal brexit looking like the only outcome after three years of negotiations.

When the nation voted to leave the EU. How many of them voted to leave with no deal and how many voted to leave with one of those promised easily arranged deals. 

If we leave without a deal. A prospect that looks to be not only unacceptable to a large number of MPs but also a section of the public that voted leave. 

Come October when we leave the EU. Will our departure come with the full support of all those people who voted leave or will it be an event that will only satisfy some people.

A call for a second referendum was deemed by leave campaigners to be undemocratic. Wouldn't a no deal brexit without the agreement of the majority of the country be even more undemocratic.

I agree, but then there’s been a deal on the table for some time. Members of parliament on both sides of the house failed to vote for it for some very power hungry selfish reasons. The hard Brexiteers, The DUP and large elements of the Labour Party didn’t back it. The reason ? Nothing to do with the deal, just party politics and self interest. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

I agree, but then there’s been a deal on the table for some time. Members of parliament on both sides of the house failed to vote for it for some very power hungry selfish reasons. The hard Brexiteers, The DUP and large elements of the Labour Party didn’t back it. The reason ? Nothing to do with the deal, just party politics and self interest. 

Not sure this is true, I think it's widely accepted that the 'deal' is garbage. 

12 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Are you suggesting that a no deal is beneficial to the EU then?

9 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Anyone on here a paid up member and getting a vote?

Who you going for?

I was half expecting a surge in membership to influence the ballot.

Then I remembered that to become a member, you had to meet Maureen after the Harvest Festival service at Sevenoakes Anglican Church and give her a brown envelope with 50 ENGLISH Pounds in it.

There is a fast track option where you have to pay a much larger amount but still in a brown envelope. 

32 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure this is true, I think it's widely accepted that the 'deal' is garbage. 

That's because it's a compromise by necessity, so people entrenched on both sides of the argument hate it.

It's actually a pretty good deal IMO if you look at it.

48 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I was half expecting a surge in membership to influence the ballot.

Then I remembered that to become a member, you had to meet Maureen after the Harvest Festival service at Sevenoakes Anglican Church and give her a brown envelope with 50 ENGLISH Pounds in it.

There is a fast track option where you have to pay a much larger amount but still in a brown envelope. 

Lol....I think you needed to be a member for at least a month to be eligible to vote...just to.prevent the kind of mass momentum type surge which led to Corbyn being cemented in by young polarised activists.

The BBC has defended Jo Brand against claims she incited violence through comments made during a radio show.

The comedian, a guest on BBC Radio 4's Heresy on Tuesday, joked about throwing battery acid at "unpleasant characters" rather than milkshakes.

Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage, who was hit by a milkshake last month, said "the police need to act".

The BBC said the jokes made on Heresy are "deliberately provocative as the title implies".

It added they are "not intended to be taken seriously."

Brand, speaking after Mr Farage and a number of far-right European election candidates were covered in milkshakes during campaign walkabouts in May, said "Why bother with a milkshake when you could get some battery acid?"

any thoughts ?

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The BBC has defended Jo Brand against claims she incited violence through comments made during a radio show.

The comedian, a guest on BBC Radio 4's Heresy on Tuesday, joked about throwing battery acid at "unpleasant characters" rather than milkshakes.

Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage, who was hit by a milkshake last month, said "the police need to act".

The BBC said the jokes made on Heresy are "deliberately provocative as the title implies".

It added they are "not intended to be taken seriously."

Brand, speaking after Mr Farage and a number of far-right European election candidates were covered in milkshakes during campaign walkabouts in May, said "Why bother with a milkshake when you could get some battery acid?"

any thoughts ?

Consistency would be the answer , either these kind of things are seen as just jokes or they are not no matter what side of political view point they come from