The Politics Thread 2019

Day

11 hours ago, eddie said:

Can anybody please shed some light on an issue that is troubling me?

Jacob Rees-Mogg earlier today said that if Britain were 'forced' to take part in the forthcoming EU elections, British MEPs ought to make life as difficult as possible for the EU to function. He said, and I quote: "We could veto any increase in the budget, obstruct the putative EU army and block Mr Macron’s integrationist schemes".

Didn't he also say that Britain had no power within the EU when he said "the EU is a threat to British democracy and to the sovereignty of Parliament. We have to leave the EU in order to take back control".

So if Britain has no power, how can British MEPs disrupt anything, obstruct anything and veto anything?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, eddie said:

Can anybody please shed some light on an issue that is troubling me?

Jacob Rees-Mogg earlier today said that if Britain were 'forced' to take part in the forthcoming EU elections, British MEPs ought to make life as difficult as possible for the EU to function. He said, and I quote: "We could veto any increase in the budget, obstruct the putative EU army and block Mr Macron’s integrationist schemes".

Didn't he also say that Britain had no power within the EU when he said "the EU is a threat to British democracy and to the sovereignty of Parliament. We have to leave the EU in order to take back control".

So if Britain has no power, how can British MEPs disrupt anything, obstruct anything and veto anything?

He is a liar, and only looks to destabilise the economy, so his Cayman listed company can make millions on disaster capitalism.

So if brexirt isn't racist, how come Yaxley was allowed a platform to spout his vile racist views?  Also as a brexiteer, are you happy that it is now becoming the narrative?

As a brexiteer, how do yo feel that the campaign was run illegally by vote leave?  Should the law be applied, and the outcome dismissed, and the vote be run again?  Or are you quite happy to partake in the biggest fraud in UK history?

As a brexiteer are you happy the Hancock - Health Minister, has gagged the reports, from schools of Dr's and Nurses, that no deal brexit will collapse the NHS and deaths will occur?

Also that it is a lie that the NHS can stockpile medicnes.  Example; they can't stockpile nuclear medicine, it has a very short shelf life, so if you or anyone suffers from cancers, heart disease, gastrointestinal, endocrine, neurological disorders, never mind imaging and other things, they will be the first to be afffected, but hey whats wrong with short term pain, and a little culling of the ill and needy, such a Tory trait.

People need to look at the bigger picture, and not the edges that are being shown.

29 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

how come Yaxley was allowed a platform to spout his vile racist views?

Please show evidence of these rascist views. If "Yaxley" spouted rascist views in public, he would be locked up within minutes.

50 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

As a brexiteer are you happy the Hancock - Health Minister, has gagged the reports, from schools of Dr's and Nurses, that no deal brexit will collapse the NHS and deaths will occur?

Isn't Matt Hancock a remainer?

I posted this a couple of days ago; https://www.heatonharris.com/sites/www.heatonharris.com/files/2019-04/Resignation Letter.pdf

Admittedly he is a leaver but its been his job to prepare us for a no deal brexit and he seems quite confident we'd be more than okay.

Ultimately, we were offered a once in a generation vote and we voted leave - in my opinion we now have to make the best of it otherwise we don't really have a democracy.  Even staunch remainers such as Piers Morgan would now vote leave in a second referendum to “protest the assault on democracy”. 

We either work together and get the best outcome for the country or continue to attempt to dismiss the will of millions of people, risk civil unrest and a total breakdown in trust in the establishment.

15 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Please show evidence of these rascist views. If "Yaxley" spouted rascist views in public, he would be locked up within minutes.

So from my post you pick up on defending him...hmm.  He sshowed the hour long film, he made, about the BBC, which is full of vailed threats intimidation and undertones of white right wing views.  He has got better at getting his hatred out.

What concerns me is these 'political commentators' and think tanks that appear on our TV screens every day - sky news appears to be a big fan of them - with little description of the organisations they represent or their funding sources.

The Institute of Economic Affairs for example gets on so many TV shows and sounds like an independent academic group for heavens sake but it is nothing of the sort.

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

So from my post you pick up on defending him...hmm.  He sshowed the hour long film, he made, about the BBC, which is full of vailed threats intimidation and undertones of white right wing views.  He has got better at getting his hatred out.

Yes I picked up on it, because like a lot of remainers, you pick on what you think would be the easy targets but can never back it up with any real evidence. 

14 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Yes I picked up on it, because like a lot of remainers, you pick on what you think would be the easy targets but can never back it up with any real evidence. 

Hmm...how much was it for the NHS, written on that bus?  You do know that the leave campaign broke the law?  I can back it up, you are just avoiding the other questions I asked.  To difficult to answer?  Here is an easy one, what benefits, and how much better off will you and your family be after brexit? Either hard or soft.

Here he is and what is behind him.  If you are in that boat, good luck to you.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/07/tommy-robinson-global-support-brexit-march

Plenty on youtube, feel free to take a look.

51 minutes ago, cstand said:

The debate has been done we had a democratic vote leave won some people really need to get over themselves.

Wouldn't 'best of 3' be even more democratic ?  ?

Seriously though, I think there are legitimate concerns about whether people knew what sort of Brexit they were voting for.  The problem with the first referendum was that Brexit was never really a binary choice.  There was leave or not leave obviously...but in reality 'leave' was a whole spectrum of choices, none of which on their own has a majority of people behind it, either in parliament or in the population as a whole.  The best time to vote on Brexit would be when the withdrawal agreement was already agreed and the subsequent trading agreements in place, so people would actually know what sort of a Brexit was on the table.  But that would have required a two-step referendum process, which is unprecedented as far as I know.

To state the obvious, it's a genuinely difficult situation to sort out.  A victory for staying in the EU in a second referendum wouldn't sort it out either.  Many leave voters would feel betrayed and not without good reason.

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

Wouldn't 'best of 3' be even more democratic ?  ?

Seriously though, I think there are legitimate concerns about whether people knew what sort of Brexit they were voting for.  The problem with the first referendum was that Brexit was never really a binary choice.  There was leave or not leave obviously...but in reality 'leave' was a whole spectrum of choices, none of which on their own has a majority of people behind it, either in parliament or in the population as a whole.  The best time to vote on Brexit would be when the withdrawal agreement was already agreed and the subsequent trading agreements in place, so people would actually know what sort of a Brexit was on the table.  But that would have required a two-step referendum process, which is unprecedented as far as I know.

To state the obvious, it's a genuinely difficult situation to sort out.  A victory for staying in the EU in a second referendum wouldn't sort it out either.  Many leave voters would feel betrayed and not without good reason.

The problem with that view is that if politicians for whatever reason ( perhaps they don’t want to leave) put a terrible hotch potch half in half out deal that is clearly worse than staying in then put it to the vote of accept the deal or stay in then what’s the point of even pretending that what the people of the country want matters a jot ,,, honestly I would rather at this point they come clean and just tell us they don’t think people are smart / informed enough to be given the power to vote on it and they feel they know best ,, that’s the truth of politicians attitude to the great unwashed

3 hours ago, McRamFan said:

Here he is and what is behind him.  If you are in that boat, good luck to you.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/07/tommy-robinson-global-support-brexit-march

Plenty on youtube, feel free to take a look.

If there is plenty of examples of him being rascist on youtube, it won't take you long to post a few examples will it.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

The problem with that view is that if politicians for whatever reason ( perhaps they don’t want to leave) put a terrible hotch potch half in half out deal that is clearly worse than staying in then put it to the vote of accept the deal or stay in then what’s the point of even pretending that what the people of the country want matters a jot ,,, honestly I would rather at this point they come clean and just tell us they don’t think people are smart / informed enough to be given the power to vote on it and they feel they know best ,, that’s the truth of politicians attitude to the great unwashed

Norway seem perfectly happy with their "Half in, half out hotchpotch", and clearly don't think that's worse than joining the EU as a fully-fledged member.

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

If there is plenty of examples of him being rascist on youtube, it won't take you long to post a few examples will it.

Someone's gone to the trouble of picking through his Twitter feed. Does that count? I read the first few, and I can honestly say that the man seems to be a vile slob. I couldn't stomach more than about 30 seconds worth of the utter hatefulness highlighted. Make your own mind up. I'm sure that some will suggest that it is 'fake news', of course...

https://resistinghate.org/tommy-robinson-and-his-hate-tweets/

32 minutes ago, eddie said:

Someone's gone to the trouble of picking through his Twitter feed. Does that count? I read the first few, and I can honestly say that the man seems to be a vile slob. I couldn't stomach more than about 30 seconds worth of the utter hatefulness highlighted. Make your own mind up. I'm sure that some will suggest that it is 'fake news', of course...

https://resistinghate.org/tommy-robinson-and-his-hate-tweets/

Yes loads of anti Islamic stuff, but Islam is a religion not a race.

Archived