WWWWWWWWWW

Day

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, David said:

5F5C6D80-D172-4E55-8C93-167F63BB0E36.jpeg

Said it before on the Academy thread, one of my best mates son plays for Boro in the same league, he told me our under 18’s were the best team by far they have played against; reckons there is maybe half a dozen that can clearly step up. His kid said they totally footballed Boro off the pitch when they played.

Don’t know how to judge both their comments, other than say his lad was the only one of 9 handed a pro contract by Boro last Monday, so reckon myself we are onto a good thing in the future with our kids.

1 hour ago, TimRam said:

Hope we can hang onto them before the bottomless pockets top 6 come calling.

Understand your point but there's one thing we can offer them that Liverpool/Citeh/Manu never can - playing time

Bird & Mitchell-Lawson have already seen some game time this year and the summer clear out should provide more opportunities in 2019/20 for some of the others. They would not get near a Liverpool or Man City first team. The kids who want to move to the big 6 for purely financial reasons probably aren't the right kind of characters we'd want long term anyway. Focus at this age should be about aiming for first team football.

As a side point, great to see the youth teams doing so well - always felt historically that compared to clubs like Southampton, we've not produced that much homegrown talent but the current set-up looks really encouraging. If these kids carry on progressing, maybe the tighter financial restraints could be a blessing in disguise.

It's a two-horse race to win the "Northern" division between us and Liverpool. Let's hope the young lambs can see it through. Three games to go. A win and two draws would guarantee it. Our final 3 fixtures are home to Man City and Man Utd and then away to Wolves. 

Liverpool finish the season a few days after us, away at Man City. Let's hope we haven't left the door ajar. 

Screenshot_20190408-141610.thumb.png.20c74ba686c365885bebb7b6d635da4a.png

Archived