New Car Speed Limiters

Angry Ram

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 22:23, Mucker1884 said:

For reference, with my adaptive cruise control, the car will try and slow down using the engine (no brake lights), but when the auto brakes kick in, yes, the brake lights do come on.  (My colleague has the same, and we've followed each other to check!)

Got good insurance have you? I remember Clarkson checking out the "City stop" braking on a Mazda and crashing it!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

Got good insurance have you? I remember Clarkson checking out the "City stop" braking on a Mazda and crashing it!

It's a company fleet insurance, so I don't know the finer details, but rest assured, I don't rely totally on these things, preferring to concentrate as I would without them., thus using them in the way they were designed... as a back up, in case you nod off, start arguing with the missus, or forget to pull over to finish that bottle of scotch.

I still glance over my shoulder when overtaking (habit) despite having a blind spot scanner.  I still prefer to overtake before the ACC kicks in and starts slowing me down.  I still prefer to slam my own brakes on at a zebra crossing, rather than rely on the knees of some poor 80 year old dodderer!  Like I say, these gadgets are, in the main, put there as back up.  Emergency back back up only, in some cases.  Never to be taken for granted.

As for the insurance side of things, Be it ACC/Front Assist/City Emergency Braking or human only, I'd imagine a shunt is a shunt, and the shunter is usually at fault, disregarding of any gadgets in place?

This is such a clickbait non-story. They're not speed limiters at all.

I was listening to 5Live yesterday morning and they had a lady on (can't remember where from), saying that it's just audible warnings when you go overthe speed limit and all you have to do is keep accelerating and it over-rides it. She went to great lengths to inform the presenter that there is nothing actually limiting the speed and it is misleading to report otherwise.

News headlines about 5 minutes later: Headline: Speed limiters to be fitted to all cars etc etc.

36 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

This is such a clickbait non-story. They're not speed limiters at all.

I was listening to 5Live yesterday morning and they had a lady on (can't remember where from), saying that it's just audible warnings when you go overthe speed limit and all you have to do is keep accelerating and it over-rides it. She went to great lengths to inform the presenter that there is nothing actually limiting the speed and it is misleading to report otherwise.

News headlines about 5 minutes later: Headline: Speed limiters to be fitted to all cars etc etc.

Phew.. Hope that's right.

16 minutes ago, jono said:

Proper car Chapman would approve.

Hers something that wouldn’t want a limiter. Answers on a post card

314ACB5F-F6F4-4858-9D70-50B0567D5C70.jpeg

Lotus v8....esprit?

Archived