New Car Speed Limiters

Angry Ram

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, firstly, it’ll take many years before the masses get their mitts on these motors, I mean, round these parts it’s not unusual to see motors from 2003/4/5. 

Secondly, do you think councils and the government are going to want this technology to be the norm ? It would cut their revenues from speed cameras significantly. 

Turkeys and Christmas etc. 

At least it says there'll be an override facility (foot to the floor) to start with.  Without that, this plan is fraught with danger, imo.  I've lost count of the number of times I've booted up from 69mph to 80, just to get me (and others) out of a sticky situation, before gliding back down to the speed limit.

My latest car has the adaptive cruise control, where it keeps me at a safe distance from the vehicle in front, and will only go up to the set (cruise) speed if it's clear ahead.  If I don't overtake, it will automatically slow me down to the same speed as the vehicle in front... but again, I can override that with a foot down.  To be fair, this new system appears to be similar, except it will be relying on gps info, instead of a front radar scanning the road ahead.

That escape route though, is critical for me.  Without the override option, it'd get the thumbs down from me.

1 month nearer to reaching 1984!

Hopefully the performance car elites will put a stop to this.. Why buy a Porsche and have a limiter?

I can see me buying a new car just before they introduce this.. Might buy a big feck off 4x4 that I don’t need, just to pee them off.

A performance petrol car in 2021 should be a great investment, probably make you money 3 years down the line.

By 2032 though, there will be no need for speed cameras, traffic police or even car insurance companies, so it's got it's upsides.

Last few years to buy something rapid before the car joins air and train travel as something slower and less exciting than decades before.

That's progress folks.

Sith Happens

Can they also implement a gadget which detects someone driving considerably below the speed limit without anything holding them up and make their car explode instantly. 

Driving too slow can be as dangerous as driving too fast.

They will always allow it to be overridden in case of emergency, but those caught overriding it just to get somewhere quicker will face tougher punishments with more points and bigger fines most likely. 

Shouldn't be speeding anyway, tut tut.

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Can we have a device that stops bankers from running red lights or stopping in box junctions?

Seriously i doubt many people know what a box junction is for. 

A few months ago i was in a queue of traffic waiting at a box junction,  clearly there was a few car lengths empty in front of me, this woman decides to flick out into the next lane overtake me and pull in front of me, not before giving me loads of verbals for no doubt not keeping up with traffic.

45 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

It won't be hard to remove , will only be a programme in the software , function will be there on dealer diagnostic equipment from day one , then it won't take long for someone to create an aftermarket version.  

That's what I'm banking on. 3 years notice to work a cars black box, then decades of easy ?!

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

That's what I'm banking on. 3 years notice to work a cars black box, then decades of easy ?!

Then you get grassed up like a dodgy Sky box seller and end up behind bars, don't drop the soap! 

17 minutes ago, TimRam said:

What will happen when a car moves from a high speed zone (motorway) into a lower speed zone (slip road)? Instant braking? Will the brake lights come on? Accident waiting to happen (see what I did there).

It didn't mention auto braking.  It mentions alarms, beepers, and audible warnings (staying on until you return to the legal limit).

For reference, with my adaptive cruise control, the car will try and slow down using the engine (no brake lights), but when the auto brakes kick in, yes, the brake lights do come on.  (My colleague has the same, and we've followed each other to check!)

On 28/03/2019 at 04:19, reveldevil said:

A performance petrol car in 2021 should be a great investment, probably make you money 3 years down the line.

By 2032 though, there will be no need for speed cameras, traffic police or even car insurance companies, so it's got it's upsides.

Last few years to buy something rapid before the car joins air and train travel as something slower and less exciting than decades before.

That's progress folks.

You think it's bad there you should try driving a 6.0litre V8 on our over regulated roads. Actually really enjoy driving your roads.  

Archived