Best Derby Assists You’ve Ever Seen

cannable

5 hours ago, Carnero said:

4-0 win over Hull under Wassall...2nd goal...

Thanks mate! Put me out of my misery. Not quite as slick as I'd thought but then I'm a rose-tinted happy-clapper so no surprise there. Decent enough all the same. Don't suppose you know where I left my car keys, do you?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 3:40 in, I remember screaming "wtf are you doing???" when Howard lumped it forward but I guess they knew better than me. It is a pretty darned goof example of just how good Barnes was when he was all guns blazing - seriously good technique!!!

On 25/03/2019 at 13:08, GloryHunter said:

Nigel Callaghan for Andy Garner...starts about 1.13  

On 25/03/2019 at 13:15, Tim Bucktoo said:

Cally was great

Nigel Callaghan was probably the last really class winger we had, or at least him and the Tinman.

2 hours ago, AmericanRam said:

Great game this and fantastic pass from Forsyth to JR. Start at 1:57

we were in our pomp. Autumn 2014, and we'd managed to get over the loss of Thorne for the season by bringing in Mascarell from Real Madrid. Ran through them, round them and over them. Makes me want to cry when I think of how our paths have diverged since.......

2 hours ago, richinspain said:

Nigel Callaghan was probably the last really class winger we had, or at least him and the Tinman.

Yeah, I was young(er) so just thought that  a wingers job was to be skilful and entertaining - and so I thought that’s why ours were good. Callaghan, Tinman, Micklewhite and Chandler (I know; context) were all versions of entertaining. 

Then.... Harkes and Pickering etc were the cruel cold turkey.

But a deserved shout out to Simmo for getting back to the original job description.

Then slowly number 10s, false 9s, inverted wingers, attacking full backs etc have almost made ‘wingers’ a retro luxury. Like when my dad would talk about inside forwards, young uns can only watch YouTube to see a real winger. There are glimpses out there but it’s not their predominant remit. A winger was considered the all round package if he merely just ‘got back’ to ‘make up numbers’! (Probably explains the resonance of that position. Let the school bully be No4; I’m 7, 11 or 9 (letting 8 do the industrious holding up, laying off, flick ons and being battered the psychopath 5. I’m either (attempting to badly) dribbling like Cally, crossing like Simmo or scoring like Bobby!) ?

On 26/03/2019 at 15:01, richinspain said:

On his day he could be brilliant.   I also recall him turning Lee Dixon (probably England RB at the time) inside out for Phil Gee to volley in the winner against Arsenal at the Normanton End.

Tin Man was quality too......happy days.

Archived