Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

You never can tell where the heart will lead you - and Frank clearly has a fondness for Chelsea (even though him and his Dad are both Irons) - BUT he must surely know that if he goes to Chelsea too soon and messes up then his managerial career is in tatters

His CV would say - struggled to get a big Championship side promoted so gave up after 1 season, and then couldn't turn a big Prem team around. Where does he go from there?

Sorry bud, don't agree on that one. Not saying it's going to happen but it's the equivalent of a free hit for Lampard. Look at Di Matteo, I know he's vanished now but it was what he did after leaving Chelsea that gave rise to that, same for Gullit, even AVB. There is definitely life after that gig.

If he did get offered the job, I’m sure he’d take it in a flash. To play to such a level as he did takes an unbelievable level of confidence in your own ability. Of course he’d back himself to do a good job there. If he didn’t back his ability, he would never have made it to the top as a player, and he would stand no chance of making it to the top as a manager.

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Sorry bud, don't agree on that one. Not saying it's going to happen but it's the equivalent of a free hit for Lampard. Look at Di Matteo, I know he's vanished now but it was what he did after leaving Chelsea that gave rise to that, same for Gullit, even AVB. There is definitely life after that gig.

Fair enough - it's his gamble to take innit - not mine!

Surely if you want a championship manager who can turn around a big prem team, you pick Bielsa. 

If it wasn't for Ole doing well at Man U, Lampard's name wouldn't even be mentioned. Plus there is the fact Man U and Chelsea have very different structures. History shows that Chelsea chop and change their managers every 2/3 seasons whereas Man U stick with them. I don't think Lampard would be so short sighted. 

7 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

There's no 'IF' about Sarri leaving - he is toast, just a matter of (not too much) time on that one. Good bud of mine, who is a rarity in that he is a Chelsea fan and can also talk intelligibly about football, suggests that Lampard is what Chelsea need in the same way that Zidane was needed at Madrid (first time around). Not so much his tactical nouse (which we all agree is in need of maturing at managerial level) but in that he can bring together a club that has been somewhat fragmented at the top since Mourinho came back. Chelsea are really quite lost as a club at the moment and Lampard would be the perfect person to solve that issue - not saying it is going to happen, just that this rumour isn't one that we can just dispel with a yawning gif.

We can do the 'yawning gif' thing if we really want other folk to know that we're way above commenting on tittle tattle though, right? I'm mean you'd have to read the self-explanatory title, ignore it, then read the post you're not interested in and then take time to find a suitable 'I'm really bored' gif or meme and then upload the fecker to ensure everyone knows how bored by it you are, but that's all still cool, right? No irony there at all...

To be fair, I'd not be concerned but for the Mel rumour. Like you, I think Sarri is a dead man walking and I'd thought Chelski would move heaven and earth to get either Zidane or Simeone locked in but that's clearly not going to happen now. I still think think it's highly unlikely but a nagging doubt remains. Based on history, even Nuno wouldn't have a prayer but as you've pointed out, the club has rather lost it's way and may adopt a fresh, if somewhat riskier approach. Am I wrong in thinking that Frank has already distanced himself though?

7 hours ago, StivePesley said:

You never can tell where the heart will lead you - and Frank clearly has a fondness for Chelsea (even though him and his Dad are both Irons) - BUT he must surely know that if he goes to Chelsea too soon and messes up then his managerial career is in tatters

His CV would say - struggled to get a big Championship side promoted so gave up after 1 season, and then couldn't turn a big Prem team around. Where does he go from there?

Sarri's lost the players and the fans though. Frank might well do rather better in that regard and as yet, there are no guarantees that firstly, he can't get us promoted and secondly, that he'd fail at Chelsea. Likely yes, but at this point more assumed than confirmed.

6 hours ago, RamsFan10 said:

I would be baffled if this happened. If we were in and around the top 2 then it would make some sense, but we're not. I would be sad to see him go but (to quote the snake) 'the reality is' at the moment we're doing ok. We're floating around the edge of the play-offs with a team thats probably good enough for about that. Long term he is only going to improve, but as it stands Chelsea would just be hiring a seemingly decent championship manager. Clubs the size of Chelsea demand instant results (hence they're getting rid of Sarri) - it would be a stupid appointment on their behalf and probably stupid of Lampard to take it at this time. 

So nothing to worry about. And if he does go there are plenty of managers who are a similar level to Lampard currently. 

Agree with you but who do you see as theoretical replacements? Always struggle to think of anyone. Much harder than picking players IMO.

8 hours ago, David said:

Didn’t see this bad reaction but of course he would have felt the pressure, every manager is under pressure, it’s in the job description.

He hasn’t walked in off the street from a Tesco checkout, would have known what was ahead having seen a number of Chelsea managers walk in and out of Stamford Bridge doors.

What he may have not been prepared for is this “February wobble” talk and the negativity which stems from it, how quick people are to write us off despite spending most of the season in the top 6. Any frustration shown was completely understandable as I share it myself.

Not you personally (about to clear my chest), but feels like there is a whiff off “told you he wasn’t cut out for management”, just another Gary Neville, Thierry Henry lingering around, even analysing the bags under his eyes forgetting the man has recently had a baby. From what I’ve read they have a habit of giving you sleepless nights, others can confirm.

I’m sure the same is going on up at Rangers now with Gerrard, forget the Derby way this is the new British way. 

Finally for what it’s worth, even if we don’t go up this season I’m not sure it’s fair to throw he’s achieved nothing in his face.

First job in football, changed the style of football even though some fail to see what that is, brought through a number of acedmy players whilst competing at the top end of the table for most of the season. Throw in a number of injuries to key players, removed a spy from bushes not once but twice, all whilst becoming a Dad again. 

Solid first season in management for me, even if he doesn’t get to add promotion in year one on his CV. I’m sure Chelsea will be tracking his progress for the future, and this is an encouraging start.

I feel better now, apologies for quoting your post as a platform to moan off.

Sounds personal. You show your exasperation at others not willing to share your viewpoint as it is that obvious that anyone who doesn't concur must have an axe to grind about Lampard.

7 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Sounds personal. You show your exasperation at others not willing to share your viewpoint as it is that obvious that anyone who doesn't concur must have an axe to grind about Lampard.

image.png.d494fbde610624afdc9d8f2c5a460456.png

Think the exasperation you refer to might be more to do with the ridiculously high bar set by some and the constant churn of managers. That and the fact Lamps is actually doing ok for a complete rookie. 

14 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

It wasn’t personal at all to Ramnut as I said in my post. 

5 minutes ago, David said:

It wasn’t personal at all to Ramnut as I said in my post. 

I didn't mean personal to Ramnut I was observing that it sounded a very personal matter to yourself to the point of feeling you had to defend Lampard in some way 

7 minutes ago, 86 points said:

image.png.d494fbde610624afdc9d8f2c5a460456.png

Think the exasperation you refer to might be more to do with the ridiculously high bar set by some and the constant churn of managers. That and the fact Lamps is actually doing ok for a complete rookie. 

He's doing OK no more no less I agree with you on that point. Mediocre would be probably too strong an adjective.

2 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I didn't mean personal to Ramnut I was observing that it sounded a very personal matter to yourself to the point of feeling you had to defend Lampard in some way 

Not at all, I don’t know Lampard, never had any interaction with him and I’m sure he is more than capable of defending himself.

What I posted was just my opinion, as are all my posts, airing frustrations I have from this season with the criticism he has come in for. 

Feels good to get it off the chest, and where better to do that than the best Derby County forum online? 

39 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Agree with you but who do you see as theoretical replacements? Always struggle to think of anyone. Much harder than picking players IMO.

There's a few, i think Jokanovic and Wagner would be near the top of a lot of people's lists just for their recent promotions. We would have to compromise on style but in terms of standard i'm sure people like Karanka, Moyes, Bilic would get a mention. My knowledge of League 1 and 2 managers is lacking but the german bloke at Barnsley appears to be doing well, as does the caretaker manager at Luton. Could even take a risk on the Cowley brothers at Lincoln, currently at the top of league 2 having done a good long-term job there. 

Archived