Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

I still don’t believe for a second they’ve met Lampard or any manager yet. That said they’re overambitious if they were ever considering ten hag, there’s no way he’d take that job in the circumstances Chelsea are under, he’d have far better options. Be about time things got moving mind one way or another, no idea why it’s taken this long when we were expecting news over a week ago, hopefully we hear something this week. If other candidates are dropping out the running it does become more likely Lampard could get the role, tho I maintain it’d be a ludicrous move on chelsea’s behalf. With managers like Allegri dropping out (understandably)  then they may have little choice. The likes of blanc and Espírito Santo are surely still better options tho. If they’re being considered I think Lampard will end up staying here. Should be looking at Benitez and Garcia over Lampard as well.

All a bit of a Rowett situation for Chelsea, getting paid for a manager they wanted rid of before anyway. Just can’t see the same man being the replacement, it’d be based on nothing but emotions, not logic. Chelseas board don’t work like that.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is bad news,  for us and FL if he decides to choose them.  With Chelsea's history of manager ins and outs, this could break FL with so little experience, im not saying FL is a bad manager, I think he will be very good one day, but imo his selection of subs was a bit strange last season compared to starting 11, he needs time to learn. 

It won’t be the end of the world if he leaves but it does need sorting out as quickly as possible because if we end up with another manager again then again how would we set up and what players would he want and doesn’t want starts all over again - seems rather obvious that Lampard needs to avoid going to Chelsea at this point but how many times is he likely to be asked in his career 

An actual formal meeting between Chelsea and Lampard would not be easily kept secret from journalists, and would be everywhere. Not just on Goal.

Hasn't happened.

He'd be mad to take it now. Utterly bad. 

Don't get me wrong – totally understand the pull Chelsea will hold over Frank and Jody. The Chelsea job becomes available that often though, surely it'd be better for Frank to play the long game with this one?  

If he does go, really hope Mel has someone lined up in his mould. Frank's laid some good foundations this season – let's not hire another Clement / Pearson type to duck it all up again. 

21 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I still don’t believe for a second they’ve met Lampard or any manager yet. That said they’re overambitious if they were ever considering ten hag, there’s no way he’d take that job in the circumstances Chelsea are under, he’d have far better options. Be about time things got moving mind one way or another, no idea why it’s taken this long when we were expecting news over a week ago, hopefully we hear something this week. If other candidates are dropping out the running it does become more likely Lampard could get the role, tho I maintain it’d be a ludicrous move on chelsea’s behalf. With managers like Allegri dropping out (understandably)  then they may have little choice. The likes of blanc and Espírito Santo are surely still better options tho. If they’re being considered I think Lampard will end up staying here. Should be looking at Benitez and Garcia over Lampard as well.

All a bit of a Rowett situation for Chelsea, getting paid for a manager they wanted rid of before anyway. Just can’t see the same man being the replacement, it’d be based on nothing but emotions, not logic. Chelseas board don’t work like that.

14 minutes ago, BodminRam said:

This is bad news,  for us and FL if he decides to choose them.  With Chelsea's history of manager ins and outs, this could break FL with so little experience, im not saying FL is a bad manager, I think he will be very good one day, but imo his selection of subs was a bit strange last season compared to starting 11, he needs time to learn. 

He could also see it as a free hit.

Taking over a team who now have a transfer embargo, potentially losing their star player.

The only thing really would be the Champions league expectation. (However that didn't go too well for Roberto Di Matteo)

No idea why they'd even consider Lampard, if he wasn't ex player/legend he'd never in a million years be in contention for the job.

I'd love to know how much input Jody Morris as BTW, he's the one with the youth contacts and the style, rather than FL. So yup, Morris would be the bigger loss IMO

48 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Chelsea have met with Frank Lampard to discuss the manager’s role at Stamford Bridge as Juventus prepare to announce the appointment of Maurizio Sarri as their new coach, Goal can confirm.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/chelsea-meet-lampard-with-ajax-coach-ten-hag-cautious-over/dxv05trj8zip1e56mgq6g9hit

The journalist in question here is fairly reliable and the same has also been reported by the Daily Mail today.

However, it is worth noting today that it was reported Rafa Benitez was about to make an 'imminent' return.

Best to wait for Mr Percy ? 

45 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Chelsea have met with Frank Lampard to discuss the manager’s role at Stamford Bridge as Juventus prepare to announce the appointment of Maurizio Sarri as their new coach, Goal can confirm.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/chelsea-meet-lampard-with-ajax-coach-ten-hag-cautious-over/dxv05trj8zip1e56mgq6g9hit

I see they have edited it from that they have met Lampard to they are planning to meet with him ? 

Also states that Frank is our head coach, it is simple things like that that solidifies my opinion that these guys know nothing. 

1 minute ago, rynny said:

I see they have edited it from that they have met Lampard to they are planning to meet with him ? 

Also states that Frank is our head coach, it is simple things like that that solidifies my opinion that these guys know nothing. 

I agree that some is speculation but ears to the ground say it’s not totally false. 

10 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

He could also see it as a free hit.

Taking over a team who now have a transfer embargo, potentially losing their star player.

The only thing really would be the Champions league expectation. (However that didn't go too well for Roberto Di Matteo)

See I agree with this, and why I have to laugh when it is reported that managers are ruling themselves out because of it, but makes it an ideal situation for Lampard, like no other manager has had the same thought. 

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Still only the mail backing the report up, not exactly reliable. We’ll see but I still can’t see in a million years someone as inexperienced as Lampard getting the job, even with his legendary status there. Pure guesswork by journos at the minute.

You hope right as I do. 

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

The journalist in question here is fairly reliable and the same has also been reported by the Daily Mail today.

However, it is worth noting today that it was reported Rafa Benitez was about to make an 'imminent' return.

Best to wait for Mr Percy ? 

Fair enough, I don't really pay any attention to journalists history as they'll all write balls for clicks eventually ? 

Maybe Franks meetings with them to get Mount and Tomori back ?

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

I agree that some is speculation but ears to the ground say it’s not totally false. 

It is all speculation, if they throw enough names around they will eventually land in the right one and claim that they knew all the time. 

1 minute ago, rynny said:

See I agree with this, and why I have to laugh when it is reported that managers are ruling themselves out because of it, but makes it an ideal situation for Lampard, like no other manager has had the same thought. 

He's also got to weigh that against the reality that he is managing a club whose owner hasn't got the best record for being patient with managers when they go through a bad spell.

I'm sure Mel and Lampard's relationship is great, as that is what they consistently say, but that surely must factor into his thinking at some point.

Well the Goal article say's 'to meet' not 'have met' Also Mel would have to give permission for Mr Lampard to speak to a anyone. Normally papers would pick up on any club giving permission. Personally (for what it's worth) I want Mr Lampard to stay with us, he clearly loves the club and everything about it, and I think he has done wonders for the image of the club as well

Archived