Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

Just now, LB_DCFC said:

You aren't getting pure honesty in football. Every single player is media trained ,that's not honesty. When a player appeals for a corner when they know it's a goal kick, that's not honesty. When a player over exaggerates contact, that's not honesty. If clubs sack managers at any opportunity to do so, how can you expect loyalty in return? Also, you'd hold it against Frank Lampard going to Chelsea? Their greatest ever player going back to his club? This is not only a promotion for Frank, this is a dream move. No-one in their right mind, in that situation, would explicitly rule it out, and even then Frank has done so much in the way of committing himself to Derby. This is not a question of character, it's a recognition of the context and an understanding how the football industry and it's many facets work

And therein lies the problem. The more money that's poured in, the worse it gets. I am in no way saying Lampard should never go back and had to wait 10 years, but I'd like to think as the first team to show him trust in giving him his first management job, he will repay that faith (not just to the club but to the fans and players) by staying for a couple more years. By all accounts he's been treated well here and the Chelsea job will come back around, by which time he will have more experience. As I've said above, he may not go, and I will be more than happy to see him stay. However, I won't magically love how this business works because it is ruthless and calculated at the end of the day, which really clashes with the simple love of football that keeps it running.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh, what happens happens. 

Sarri leaves and Frank replaces him - fair enough. I guess Chelsea really are that desperate.

Sarri leaves and Frank turns Chelsea down - nice one Frank, cheers for sticking with us until we go through a sticky patch next season and then we'll  sack you. Or you go and get us promoted, good lad.

Sarri leaves and Frank isn't offered the Chelsea job - see, everyone knows he's not good enough yet, why all the fuss? What does the press know.

Sarri doesn't leave and Frank stays - WHAT DOES THE PRESS KNOW?

Key linking factor, Sarri has to go, which as far as I can tell has not happened yet.

What happens happens. I'm just sat here enjoying the ride because with or without Frank, I'm pretty excited for next season.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

This needs sorting fast , much as I am very very pro lampard he needs to commit to us clearly at this point or we have to move him on in the same way we reacted to Mac 1 situation, 

so let’s get some response from the club please to put this to bed or move on

And  much good that did us. Pathetic.

7 hours ago, RaichCarter said:

Took the words out of my mouth. Lee f’ing Bowyer?!

There was some good discussion on Lee Bowyer on Guardian Football Weekly last week. The panel were saying that they were judging him on what he was like as a player 20 years ago, but after speaking to him now were really impressed in how he conducts himself and what a amazing job he has done at Charlton. I don't want Lampard to leave, but (whisper it) Bowyer could already be a better manager.

I am resigning myself to the fact he is leaving.

When I saw the retained list and realised Ashley Cole hadn't been kept that was a little sign for me, in the same week Lamps had said he wanted to continue working with him (perhaps at Chelsea).

Too many rumours, too much smoke and very little coming from the club, we have been here before.

You can stop reading the DM article. It's written by a kid to get clicks. The article states Lampard is going. Discreet enquiries for Bowyer erc but the key element to show it is written by someone with zero knowledge related to transfers. It states Derby have a reduced budget so will be heavily reliant on loans. They will also be at the front of the queue for loans because of how successful the loans have been this season....but fails to link the loans performance with Lampard and Morris giving young players a chance. Why would Bowyer be at the front of that queue. Loans are 90% to do with the faith in the manager to give them playing time and good coaching.

The whole article is click bait nonsense targeting advertising income, Chelsea and Leeds fans.

Nothing to see here people.

if Frank leaves I think there's a good chance that move would be bad for every party involved. Derby, Chelsea and Frank. It staggers me that the idea is so popular in the media ? 

Lamps needs to look at a Rowett before jumping ship. 

Hes young, has plenty of time to learn his trade here and opportunities will arise further down the line. No need to make rash decisions the moment one arrives 

Paul Clement is coming back.

thats why we re-signed blackman, butters and johnno.

Abdoul camara as coach.

Chris baird will have at least two jobs.

you heard it here first.

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Lee Bowyer has done an excellent job at Charlton - much, much better than what Lampard has done here. I don't think you can argue that point. He's taken a team who was in turmoil. and actually still are, and turned them from a lower mid-table league one side into promotion side very quickly with a chairman who has spent nothing despite asset stripping i.e. Joe Gomez, Dale Stephens, Diego Poyet, Ademola Lookman, Nick Pope, Johann Gudmundsson & Ezri Konza - plenty more on that list too.

He's done a great job and I'd be open minded to him. Frank has a certain professionalism and character that is more endearing, but he's yet to prove himself a better manager than Boywer. 

This...

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

When I saw the retained list and realised Ashley Cole hadn't been kept that was a little sign for me, in the same week Lamps had said he wanted to continue working with him (perhaps at Chelsea).

Too many rumours, too much smoke and very little coming from the club, we have been here before.

Two things

1) Lampard has been very open about wanting Cole to stay on, probably as a coach - Also, Cole announced his retirement it's not just that he's been released

2) The press has a long standing tradition of seeing steam, calling it smoke and then yelling fire at the top of their lungs - In recent years they've even started seeing clear blue skies, calling it smoke and yelling fire - So I wouldn't assume anything

I believe the last thread to copiously use the phrase was the one on how we were deep in the FFP mire - Every journo under the sun claiming we were screwed and everyone clamouring about it - Then what actually happened was a very crafty piece of accounting and we make a profit putting us well inside FFP regulations

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Sorry but this was all too predictable when they appointed Frank. 

Hope he stays though. 

3 minutes ago, PrivateDerby said:

Frank is still on holiday abroad, he wants to stay at Derby and is enjoying it. I believe it as it's from someone I trust and has spoken to him recently.  

I can't see him going Chelsea or them wanting him yet. 

If they ask he’ll go. 

PS Hope he stays though. 

15 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Two things

1) Lampard has been very open about wanting Cole to stay on, probably as a coach - Also, Cole announced his retirement it's not just that he's been released

2) The press has a long standing tradition of seeing steam, calling it smoke and then yelling fire at the top of their lungs - In recent years they've even started seeing clear blue skies, calling it smoke and yelling fire - So I wouldn't assume anything

I believe the last thread to copiously use the phrase was the one on how we were deep in the FFP mire - Every journo under the sun claiming we were screwed and everyone clamouring about it - Then what actually happened was a very crafty piece of accounting and we make a profit putting us well inside FFP regulations

Good point well made with regards to our finances and the papers being all over it, wasn't too long ago they were reporting we were losing 3 million a month and were looking at a points deduction, 1 week later we post a profit of 14 million.

I think I just realise how much I love Frank Lampard as our manager, I genuinely think if he is here next season we are going up, if he extends his contract with us I will be buzzing for August.

11 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Lee Bowyer has done an excellent job at Charlton - much, much better than what Lampard has done here. I don't think you can argue that point. He's taken a team who was in turmoil. and actually still are, and turned them from a lower mid-table league one side into promotion side very quickly with a chairman who has spent nothing despite asset stripping i.e. Joe Gomez, Dale Stephens, Diego Poyet, Ademola Lookman, Nick Pope, Johann Gudmundsson & Ezri Konza - plenty more on that list too.

He's done a great job and I'd be open minded to him. Frank has a certain professionalism and character that is more endearing, but he's yet to prove himself a better manager than Boywer. 

Completely agree with this.  Lee Bowyer wouldn't be the top of my list, but he would certainly be on it - he's not walked into a cushy job and met expectations, he has walked into a club in turmoil and completely turned them around.  I would certainly consider him less of a risk than some other names that I've heard mentioned previously.

That being said, Chelsea would be insane to offer Lampard the job at this point in time and, truthfully, Lampard would be crazy to take it.  There is countless examples of managers getting ahead of themselves and their careers either coming to a premature end or being unfulfilled.  Sure, there is the odd example where it comes off but Frank has it good here, and one or even two years more experience could do him the world of good and actually prepare him for that next step.

I hope the Chelsea situation is resolved sooner rather than later.  I'm not even worried about Frank as, if it happens, it happens.  We are Derby County, and that is bigger than any manager could be, but if this is having an impact on our planning then we need it tied up.

26 minutes ago, PrivateDerby said:

Frank is still on holiday abroad, he wants to stay at Derby and is enjoying it. I believe it as it's from someone I trust and has spoken to him recently.  

I can't see him going Chelsea or them wanting him yet. 

This is exactly my perception. Once you get away from the National headlines, click bait and the tittle tattle of Twitter then you see a very different picture. Everything suggested says that he and his family are very settled in Derbyshire, his career also suggests he wouldn’t move around for the sake of it. Until you hear anything come out of Derby/Lampard I honestly have no idea why people are worrying.

My only concern is that until Lampard eventually leaves then will the rumours ever go away?

Archived