Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

3 hours ago, Gibbonfunk said:

I can see that with a transfer ban and the obvious / lazy links to Lampard and Jody Morris why Chelsea might be taking a look.  However, why would Frank want to take the Chelsea job at this precise moment in his career?  Yes there's a strong link to the place from his playing days but he's a smart guy, he must know he's still learning his trade.  And that's aside from any loyalty he may feel about honouring his contract at Derby.

People take the England job when it's offered as it might be their only shot at it, but the Chelsea job will be available again very soon, and probably again not too long after that.  If FL carries on doing well at Derby he'll still be in the frame for it in the future.

I appreciate what you're saying but I think it's a case of if he ever gets the chance he'll have to take it, imagine turning down Chelsea to flop us in to 16th place next season and never being considered for any job ever again, hey Gary?

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that article is good but statistics do not tell it all

I think the biggest thing Frank achieved this season was the morale and spirit in the dressing room.

Players willing to go that extra mile for teammates.

If I were in charge of employing chelseas next boss and the transfer embargo is in place - hiring someone who gets the best out of what you have is probably right up near the top of the list of desirable qualities.

Another in those circumstances would be using/developing youth. Another plus for Frank there. Bogle and Tomori have probably gained about £20m in value between them, and a fair chunk on Mount.

The other thing i keep reading is that Frank is intelligent and he might stay because it is too early for him... While I appreciate the sentiment and what people are getting at, may I point out that Frank is intelligent, he is also a realist, ambitious and used to succeeding.

If offered it he will realise that one catastrophic season with Derby might mean he is never offered it again - also he has backed himself before and has pretty much always come up smelling of roses, he isn't going to think he is not capable of it.

Another Question is Manager of Chelsea his ultimate aim, maybe he is aiming to manage England in which case he needs to press on and prove he can cut it at the highest level.

I truly truly hope I am wrong, I really really hope he is thinking "with me at the helm and a transfer ban on Chelsea, Derby should be aiming to be above them in two years time." but I somehow doubt it

Regardless of stats - or where we finished last year to this year, in my opinion in his first year in management he has transformed a club of Derby's size from the top to bottom, who is going to doubt he is ready.

I bet Sol Campbell hasn't even done that at Macclesfield and to hear him talk he is the next Shankly, Ferguson (Alex) and Clough (Brian) rolled into one

TobyWanKenobi

Not sure why there's 48 pages on this. Chelsea have a manager, and it shouldn't really concern us until they don't, and even then, I suspect there's a few ahead of Frank in the list.

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Would be a very good choice if our Frank left imo. Obviously fully want frank to stay and it’s still a big if, but what bowyer’s done at charlton has been excellent. (Also, it’s the mail, so a big pinch of salt has to be taken)

Boywer for Lampard and the spare change from the pay off (assuming Bowyer's isn't as much as what we charge Chelsea for Frank)...

Might be in the minority but, that doesn't seem too bad at all. He's had a good season at Charlton and from what i've seen they play nice football (only watched the play offs and one or two others so that may be wrong). 

This needs sorting fast , much as I am very very pro lampard he needs to commit to us clearly at this point or we have to move him on in the same way we reacted to Mac 1 situation, 

apart from fans being unsettled we are at a vital point of building for next season and put that alongside the uncertainty any players will have about comming to Derby if lamps is uncertain of staying and this whole saga could become very damaging for us ,

so let’s get some response from the club please to put this to bed or move on

London Evening Standard reporting Bowyer in talks to extend Charlton contract. No doubt his agent is drumming up some rammell to get a bumper deal at Charlton. Nothing to see here. FWIW, Don’t want the Leeds scumbag anywhere near our club. Horrible.

Have to say, if this wasn't Lampard, he would be facing a lot more flak for this. Only a year into the contract with 2 remaining, not outright denying the rumours but giving clever political speak instead and going completely AWOL from anything Derby related when linked with another job.

8 minutes ago, goldstar said:

Have to say, if this wasn't Lampard, he would be facing a lot more flak for this. Only a year into the contract with 2 remaining, not outright denying the rumours but giving clever political speak instead and going completely AWOL from anything Derby related when linked with another job.

Legitimately, what more do you want him to do? He's said (along the lines of)"I have not spoken to any other club, I have a 2 year contract, I love working here and I'll be meeting Mel to plan for the future". Of course he isn't going to rule himself out, it's bloody Chelsea we're talking about here, but even so that's about as strong a commitment as you're going to get from any manager. Also, gone AWOL? Maybe he's gone on holiday? Even so, he doesn't need to comment on speculation when he's already commented on it multiple times, and never suggested that his time here is up.

Little bit hyperbolic that article I’d say, we don’t know for certain yet whether lampards going to Chelsea at all, we know he’s probably Top on their shortlist if Sarri goes, and we know he’d take it of course (who wouldn’t)- but that’s all we know, Sarri isn’t gone yet (probably will be tomorrow but still) and Lampard won’t have been officially approached for an interview until he’s gone. Until that point it’s a bit presumptuous to start a shortlist of replacements of our own. FWIW I’d be disappointed if we are considering bowyer on such a list, he did a decent job at charlton last year but with the squad he had it was hardly a push to get promotion. Not enough to get our job imo.

Not sure why Sarri hasn’t gone yet and this is all being dragged out so much tho, we need to get on with our own preparations for the season. Can’t say I didn’t see this coming if we didn’t get promoted, but after recent comments it does surprise me a little. Suppose the one bonus with bowyer is he’s out of contract, but I suspect he’d sign a new one if offered so personally think we’ll be looking at our other options, who are hopefully better, when it comes to it. Just hope whoever the new manager is can work with our ffp restrictions on budgets, and spend the hopefully larger funds we have this season compared to last wisely. Hope they can attract good loans again as well, because we’ll need them- should think prem clubs will be impressed with our work last year and hopefully offer a few out mind, so should be ok.

4 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:

Legitimately, what more do you want him to do? He's said (along the lines of)"I have not spoken to any other club, I have a 2 year contract, I love working here and I'll be meeting Mel to plan for the future". Of course he isn't going to rule himself out, it's bloody Chelsea we're talking about here, but even so that's about as strong a commitment as you're going to get from any manager. Also, gone AWOL? Maybe he's gone on holiday? Even so, he doesn't need to comment on speculation when he's already commented on it multiple times, and never suggested that his time here is up.

If he 100% wanted to stay here and loves the club as much as he says he does it's very very simple. 'I'm staying here, no matter who approaches me I will not be leaving'. He has decades left of his career (the Chelsea job will come back around), he's very new to the role, he has a contract with us and he couldn't justifiably need the extra money. I'm baffled how anyone can really defend the double speak going on, there's never any solid answer, but a clever reply that leaves the door open. Mclaren got absolutely slaughtered for exactly the same thing. 

He's definitely leaving - it was clear as soon as the rumors started - if he wasn't, he would have said so.  Also, notice that he ignored Keogh in the tunnel before the play off final - you could tell something was off.  

It's already been said that he'd be more suitable for the Chelsea job with the transfer embargo - lower expectation and a necessity to work with their youth players.  But the other side of that embargo is it likely means Mount & Tomori going back - another reason for him not to stay.

19 minutes ago, goldstar said:

Not sure I understand.

I'm not saying he won't go but Frank has distanced himself from the Chelsea role and talked about next season with us.  He's nowhere near the flirting whore that Schteve was.

Archived