Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I like Lamps don't get me wrong, but it does help when you have mates to give you loans that no other Championship club could get.

Oh yeah I don’t deny that, but he worked with young players as well like bogle and Bennett, that’s commendable.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I like Lamps don't get me wrong, but it does help when you have mates to give you loans that no other Championship club could get.

Yeah like Tyrone, Mings, Axel Tuanzebe and Tammy Abraham ?

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

He spent  £18m plus 3 Premier League loans. Id hardly say he's proved he can operate under a lack of funds

But he brought most of that in with the sales of Vydra and Weimann. The funds are what you’re given at the start of the window, not what you bring in during.

3 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Yeah like Tyrone, Mings, Axel Tuanzebe and Tammy Abraham ?

None of those 3 are as highly rated as Mason Mount was. I'm not a Lampard hater, I just thought I'd throw it out there for balance.

5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

To be fair to Lampard, this is one of the biggest appeals to having him as your manager. 

Big clubs will trust him. Young players will want to play for him. Who wouldn't want to play for one of the best players of a generation?

Fair point,  they may want to play for him but they have to be instructed to do the right things too. Not many players are that naturally gifted that they don't need coaching too. 

10 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

To be fair to Lampard, this is one of the biggest appeals to having him as your manager. 

Big clubs will trust him. Young players will want to play for him. Who wouldn't want to play for one of the best players of a generation?

Good point, I agree with you. Does help skew the spend vs talent of the squad point though, we may have a low net spend, but with players like Mount, Tomori and Wilson, we brought in an awful lot of talent unobtainable by others.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

None of those 3 are as highly rated as Mason Mount was. I'm not a Lampard hater, I just thought I'd throw it out there for balance.

Mount came in with a hype train behind him but the likes of Abraham, Mings and Gayle were all loanees that were proven at this level and basically already lower Prem quality. Not saying you're a Lampard hater, I just disagree with the notion that our loanees were better than any other top 6 club's, we just relied on them a lot more due to a weaker squad.

7 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Mount came in with a hype train behind him but the likes of Abraham, Mings and Gayle were all loanees that were proven at this level and basically already lower Prem quality. Not saying you're a Lampard hater, I just disagree with the notion that our loanees were better than any other top 6 club's, we just relied on them a lot more due to a weaker squad.

Abraham and Gayle I wouldn't call Prem quality, they've failed multiple times in that division, top championship is their previous peaks. Particularly for Gayle who's had more chances than Tammy has at that level. We got 3 loanees that were all in my mind Premier League quality, I can see Mount playing at the top end of the Prem too. I think that skews it a bit. 

55 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Lampard to Chelsea, Jody Morris as Derby manager, with Lampard promising Derby a year loan for Mount, Tomori and Ampadu.

You can't tell me your not tempted ?

I love little Jody, I wouldn’t mind Frank going if we kept hold of (and promoted) Jody.

Frank to Chelsea, Terry as assistant? 

38 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

But he brought most of that in with the sales of Vydra and Weimann. The funds are what you’re given at the start of the window, not what you bring in during.

Nah. He never managed Vydra or Weimann so it's not like he was selling some of his players to generate funds.

He had a quite sizeable budget in terms of transfers, loan fees and wages.

22 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Abraham and Gayle I wouldn't call Prem quality, they've failed multiple times in that division, top championship is their previous peaks. Particularly for Gayle who's had more chances than Tammy has at that level. We got 3 loanees that were all in my mind Premier League quality, I can see Mount playing at the top end of the Prem too. I think that skews it a bit. 

You honestly believe Tomori, Mount and Wilson were all Premier League quality players when we signed them? I don't doubt they're at that level now but to say that they were at the start of the season is crazy.

Just now, lrm14 said:

You honestly believe Tomori, Mount and Wilson were all Premier League quality players when we signed them? I don't doubt they're at that level now but to say that they were at the start of the season is crazy.

Tomori's improved a lot with us, but Mount was definitely highly thought of, more so than any other loan player in the league. How many teams in the Championship get loanees called up for England? Wilson looked good in the second half of the season the year before on Hull too.

38 minutes ago, Taribo said:

I love little Jody, I wouldn’t mind Frank going if we kept hold of (and promoted) Jody.

He would at least see eye to eye with little Duane Holmes one would imagine

Sarcasm

51 minutes ago, Taribo said:

Frank to Chelsea, Terry as assistant? 

Frank and Terry!

Best management duo since Cloughie and Taylor!

Imagine them together at Derby!

(Jody could stay too, of course.)

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

He spent  £18m plus 3 Premier League loans. Id hardly say he's proved he can operate under a lack of funds

Net spend is the important bit. We spent next to nowt last summer when comparing outgoings to incomings - thats the most common way of looking at the way football works or am I being thick?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Nah. He never managed Vydra or Weimann so it's not like he was selling some of his players to generate funds.

He had a quite sizeable budget in terms of transfers, loan fees and wages.

He hadn’t but they were his players to use. He decided to sell them to bring in money, thus losing some quality players in the process. That’s how he had the sizeable funds available, they weren’t originally budgeted and given him. The argument is that he had a good squad to start with and that’s how he was able to bring in such funds, but it’s not like he’d have a poor starting side at Chelsea. Wage budget was obviously high tbf, but it always was from other managers, and it’d be the same at Chelsea.

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Net spend is the important bit. We spent next to nowt last summer when comparing outgoings to incomings - thats the most common way of looking at the way football works or am I being thick?

The sales of Vydra and Weimann probably had nothing to do with Lampard and would most likely have happened whether he was manager or not. Therefore not sure why the income from them should be attributed to him. Now if he had been manager the previous season and he had sold the players I could understand the argument.

I think has this week goes on Sarri will leave Chelsea by mutual consent because it most probably suits both Parties.

They will make an approach for Frank what happens from there no one knows because I think he loves it at Derby and he is building something Special but it's Chelsea or will Frank think it's too early.

I think Chelsea will want Terry as assistant perhaps Terry was offered the Middlesbrough job I don't know perhaps he has been sounded out working with Frank it will be an interesting time but when Sarri goes I think things will move quickly.

If Frank goes and jody stays offer him the job then I don't think it will be such a terrible loss because I think Jody has done an incredible job at Derby.

Frank at Chelsea Jody at Derby perhaps we would get good loan players in and could work well for us.

They both go and for me would be a disaster and would set Derby a long way back.

9 hours ago, Andicis said:

Hmm.

All 3 played well at this level.

That does not mean they will succeed at the top. Abraham and Gayle have proved that. On paper they were the future a couple of years ago.

Until Wilson, Mount and Tomori have been there and proved they can do it, i wouldn't hold my breath.

After all, our prodigy Hughes is doing alright at the Watford level but I doubt he will get much higher than that due to the Prem attracting the best of the world population.

Archived