Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

I’m still surprised Sarri would jump ship after coming over here so soon, I know they’ve got transfer issues but he should really try and see the job through. He must have wanted to leave Italy to try somewhere new, bizzare to go back so quickly when he’s had a decent first season, much as some stupid fans dislike him. Not that Chelsea will stand in his way if they stand to make 5mil I’m sure mind, seems fair enough and he’s replaceable without a doubt. Still don’t think Lampard should be that replacement tho, much as he’s shown he can work under a lack of funds and with youngsters, I’m not convinced that one half decent year in the championship makes him anywhere near ready for that level, he really hasn't shown enough yet imo. Not convinced the fans will be as happy as it either as that article reckons, he may be a Chelsea legend without doubt, but you’ve still gotta be the right man for the job. At this moment in time I couldn’t justify why he would be, he needs another year in the championship imo yet alone experience in the prem before that job.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, DJFern94 said:

Is that true, they’ve closed the books on Lampard to Chelsea? Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean you can no longer bet on it? Doesn’t that usually mean it’s a done thing?

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Fulham didn't get out by scrapping, neither did Norwich.

We need continuity of a system which suits the players we have - to switch to a more physical type of game will definitely not suit any if the young players we have in waiting in the U23 and U18 squads. If Lampard does go then he should be replaced with someone with a similar ethos - I wouldn't rule out a foreign coach / manager.

So your telling me that Farke and Jokanovic masterminded their promotions through building an long term ethos?

Last season Fulham where mid table until Mitrovic turned up after Christmas (a gamble). This season Norwich was on nobody’s radar last August and got hammered 4-1 in their last game of last season and most Norwich fans wanted Farke gone  last summer. They didn’t building anything. Even Wolves didn’t build an ethos. You need good championship players but it seems to me over the last 5 years nobody has built anything. A lot is down to luck, coincidence and scrapping.

But okay forget Houghton you don’t like him, let’s go for Jokanovic instead?

18 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Is that true, they’ve closed the books on Lampard to Chelsea? Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean you can no longer bet on it? Doesn’t that usually mean it’s a done thing?

They close the books if a very high frequency of people start betting on it, either because the odds would get so short as to be pointless, or through fear of insider knowledge, or because if the bets continue at the frequency they're at they would take a big hit if they won. It doesn't definitely mean anything.

However, pretty moot in this case as you can still bet on Lampard, I just checked. Plus, Allegri, who's likely getting the job, is very quickly catching up in terms of odds. I'd be surprised if he isn't the bookies favourite by the end of the day. 

14 minutes ago, cosmic said:

A lot of people betting on it I assume. Just means they are protecting themselves just in case it does happen and they have to pay out a lot of money doesn't it?

Would it be better for Sarri to go now, then we as fans hope they don't go for Lampard yet, let them bring in the Juve boss who could be there for a few years or hope for Sari to stay for one year more when i think it will become more inevitable that Lamps will take the job.

Thinking it through, I hope Sarri does go, and they sort out a replacement quickly so we can then get on with concentrating on next season.

39 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

They close the books if a very high frequency of people start betting on it, either because the odds would get so short as to be pointless, or through fear of insider knowledge, or because if the bets continue at the frequency they're at they would take a big hit if they won. It doesn't definitely mean anything.

However, pretty moot in this case as you can still bet on Lampard, I just checked. Plus, Allegri, who's likely getting the job, is very quickly catching up in terms of odds. I'd be surprised if he isn't the bookies favourite by the end of the day. 

Erm Where does it say this? It’s just a bunch of Chelsea fans who came up with 2+ 2 = 5 because Allegri left Juve. Chelsea fans have been moaning about sarri’s football all season, allegri’s football is a lot worse than sarri’s. I’d be very very surprised if he went to Chelsea

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

A lot of people betting on it I assume. Just means they are protecting themselves just in case it does happen and they have to pay out a lot of money doesn't it?

Thank you, sirs.

5 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

So your telling me that Farke and Jokanovic masterminded their promotions through building an long term ethos?

Last season Fulham where mid table until Mitrovic turned up after Christmas (a gamble). This season Norwich was on nobody’s radar last August and got hammered 4-1 in their last game of last season and most Norwich fans wanted Farke gone  last summer. They didn’t building anything. Even Wolves didn’t build an ethos. You need good championship players but it seems to me over the last 5 years nobody has built anything. A lot is down to luck, coincidence and scrapping.

But okay forget Houghton you don’t like him, let’s go for Jokanovic instead?

I wouldn't be too unhappy to get Jokanovic if Lampard was to leave - seems to promote attacking football and if they're good enough, gives young players a chance.

You haven't a clue what I think about Houghton.

5 hours ago, Sparkle said:

All this potential Chelsea changes stops us getting one or two in on loan if we need a managers consent

Manager’s persuasive skill and reputation, I think you‘ll find ( to get the right loanees in).

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

I wouldn't be too unhappy to get Jokanovic if Lampard was to leave - seems to promote attacking football and if they're good enough, gives young players a chance.

You haven't a clue what I think about Houghton.

Isn’t jokanovic going to ‘boro?

Harry Redknapp has it about right in that interview, there’s no doubt frank will take it, and why wouldn’t he, it’s the chance to be a manager of an elite football club where he made his name in football. But he’s not ready for it yet like I said. Especially not now with their current situation, losing their best player and unable to replace him. He’ll end up gone within a year, he would probably be safer staying here and continuing the job he’s started. But let’s be fair, if we were in his shoes we’d have the ambition to take on the bigger role, so why wouldn’t he? It’s what you become a manager for, to reach the top.

Surprised if they don’t go for allegri first tho if he’s on their list... depends if he wants to join a club in that situation.

Archived