Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

1 hour ago, Mark of Ayrshire said:

The football wasn’t always all it was made out to be, and there was not a Huge amount to promise greater success this coming season (my opinions).  I know others have a very different view on this

Didn't say it was always great but if you didn't enjoy Norwich, Southampton, Manure and even Chelsea (not to mention Leeds 2nd leg) then no Derby side is ever going to meet your expectations. Equally, with a season under his belt, it's quite reasonable to expect progression though I accept you don't see it that way for whatever reason.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Really? I'm not even sure about that. 

If this rumour is true then mel has put less effort into finding a new manager than we have on here ? 

He was in championship team of the year when we got promoted. In all seriousness he was as good as Shaun Barker! Not his fault that limited team managed to actually get promoted to the premier league where they were crudely exposed!

2 hours ago, David said:

I have spoken with Mel tonight and wanted to clear a couple of things up and issue a gentle reminder of an interview when was aired on TalkSport on Wednesday.

There has been a lot of talk about Lampard’s announcement being delayed until the 1st July for FFP, this is not true.

No offence but would Mel even admit it if it was true. We were always assured that we were on the right side of the line on ffp. The drastic strategy of selling the ground and the last set of accounts blew that myth right out of the water. That meassage was further  reinforced by the bizarre decision to the extend the contracts of players we don't want , presumably for Ffp reasons. Neither of those strategies were admitted up front.

Delaying for ffp reasons would be entirely consistant with the above crisis management. Makes more sense than chelsea still umming and ah-ing after a full week of discussion.

I find the idea that chelsea haven't yet decided totally unbelievable.

7 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Seen something on twitter from someone saying Lampard has been gone for 2 weeks, all the staff too and maybe the chief exec.

Hopefully he's wrong.

Whatever .....If it is on twitter why not identify the source? Do you have a garbage filter cos the discrepancy in the info you have posted in the last few hours...

4 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Whatever .....If it is on twitter why not identify the source? Do you have a garbage filter cos the discrepancy in the info you have posted in the last few hours...

You probably aren't familiar with Mackworth ram and the reliability of his information, he was the most ITK poster on this forum during the George Thorne Saga, only 3 people I've ever really trusted online when it comes to ITK info are SDSR, Carl Sagan and Mackworth Ram.

MR earned legendary status with me and prompted me to join this board and name myself in his honour.

I sometimes accidently call my wife mackworthram in inappropriate times, but that's a different matter.

8 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Hang on. The first thing I've said was something Ive heard.

And that was just something I've seen on twitter. 

48 minutes ago, Anon said:

Please tell me you're trolling. Don't get me wrong, Lampard's enthusiasm is great, but this is crazy. In what way did Frank Lampard immerse himself in the city?

Trolling?! WTF?! He moved to the area, seen and accessible in local establishments despite his superstar status. He has committed to Derby 100%. You telling me previous managers have built a connection with the fans like he has? If so - other than the great man mr clough - name them!

9 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Go on twitter yourself and ask him to identify his source. I don't know the bloke. 

Saw it in that Ryan O'Meara's reply. 

I'll keep my mouth shut next time.

28 minutes ago, RamNut said:

No offence but would Mel even admit it if it was true. We were always assured that we were on the right side of the line on ffp. The drastic strategy of selling the ground and the last set of accounts blew that myth right out of the water. That meassage was further  reinforced by the bizarre decision to the extend the contracts of players we don't want , presumably for Ffp reasons. Neither of those strategies were admitted up front.

Delaying for ffp reasons would be entirely consistant with the above crisis management. Makes more sense than chelsea still umming and ah-ing after a full week of discussion.

I find the idea that chelsea haven't yet decided totally unbelievable.

No offence taken, I was asked the same on Twitter.

Ask yourself what would Derby have to gain by delaying the announcement? 

Let’s say it was true, being delayed for FFP reasons, nothing stopping the clubs making the announcement on Friday with July 1st start date on the contract.

Think about it, the EFL doesn’t work off announcement dates. It makes no sense. Zero sense.

It’s a rumour that’s been born from a lack of understanding why it’s not been announced yet, throwing theories out there and this one has gained traction, as did the Derby are delaying it as they want to have a manager lined up which briefly became a thing from these Chelsea “sources” on social media. 

I don’t believe Chelsea haven’t yet decided either, the delay my guess is down to organising his back room team, Zola, Morris, Jones, Given, Edwards. Look how long it took them to announce Sarri last year, this is not a club that works quickly on these things.

34 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Seen something on twitter from someone saying Lampard has been gone for 2 weeks, all the staff too and maybe the chief exec.

Hopefully he's wrong.

I have some links where I’d *probably* hear if something major at boardroom level like the chief exec going was happening. I haven’t heard owt so I would write that one off as ********, especially given MMs recent comments.

On the transfer targets thing, I heard a while back that we were making a move on one player. While I didn’t get names however, I did hear that we were negotiating over a fee. That strikes me as being unlikely to be either Willis or King. Willis is a free and there’ll be a price already arranged for king. Not saying the info earlier in the thread is wrong, because this target may well be written off by now and those two could well be the two targets, just it could cast some doubt over it. My initial inkling, based on what I heard, was the player in discussion was John Souttar. I’ll be interested to see if I’m right, that’s just pure guesswork on my part at this point however, as I say I didn’t get a name. Of course we may have given up on this player by now, as I say I don’t know the latest as this was a couple of weeks back, but if we’re still trying for this player, the earlier info may be wrong and he could be one of the players the DET is on about, and Moore might not be our manager.

3 hours ago, David said:

I have spoken with Mel tonight and...

Sorry, @David, curious...I appreciate that you are the forum admin but I wouldn't expect that to give you a direct hot line to Mel, so may I ask what your connection/relationship is with our club's owner and steward?

If we end up with Darren Moore and signing Andy King then it kills any hope I had of enjoying next season immediately. If Moore can't do it with WBA, he can't do it with us, and Andy King is washed up and on the way down, why sign him? Give youth a try ffs, or we may as well have kept Bryson.

57 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Sorry, @David, curious...I appreciate that you are the forum admin but I wouldn't expect that to give you a direct hot line to Mel, so may I ask what your connection/relationship is with our club's owner and steward?

It’s a difficult question to answer, like you, I wouldn’t expect a forum admin to have access to the clubs owner, but I do and it’s a privileged position to be in.

I guess how goes back to when Mel took over and a post was made on the forum which was out of line, libellous, contact was made, I was invited along with several members down to Moor Farm to meet with him to clear the air.

During the meeting the line was shown, what was acceptable, what wasn’t. That day I was told any questions, worries or concerns the fans had on the forum to get in touch and he would quite happily clear anything up if he could.

True to his word Mel has done this, but I must stress it’s very rare I reach out. It would be easy to abuse demanding to know where the signings are, why we sold X or when the away kit is to be released.

4 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Trolling?! WTF?! He moved to the area, seen and accessible in local establishments despite his superstar status. He has committed to Derby 100%. You telling me previous managers have built a connection with the fans like he has? If so - other than the great man mr clough - name them!

Moving to the area is in no way exceptional. He's 100% committed to Derby, yet he's currently discussing becoming manager of another club? Not that I have any issue with that, I think he'd be mad not to take the opportunity, but it's a curious turn of phrase to describe him given current circumstances. I think he's done a decent job building a connection with the fans, but what does that actually boil down to? He takes the time to clap the fans after the game, generally speaks well, and starts the bounce. I think some people may be more than a little starstruck simply because Lampard is a big name.

5 hours ago, David said:

Let’s say it was true, being delayed for FFP reasons, nothing stopping the clubs making the announcement on Friday with July 1st start date on the contract.

Think about it, the EFL doesn’t work off announcement dates. It makes no sense. Zero sense.

That theory does make sense.

The starting point for FFP is a set of statutory accounts.

Those accounts are audited by independent accountants.  That happens before any FFP submission and review and is a key starting point.

An agreement being made to sell your manager on 28th June with a 1st July start date will lead to the sale happening in the statutory accounts on 28th June.

So the RUMOUR does at least make sense.

Whatever is going on is highly unusual. That's a fact.  A manager talking with another club but it taking days is highly unusual and leaves us at a major disadvantage in our preparations

It is also highly fortunate with hindsight that we didn't win at Wembley.....

Five weeks to season start and no manager and no signings would be very worrying and we would all be viewing the season with trepidation.

If we'd won at wembley then maybe new rules apply. 

The city would be abuzz. Frank would find it much more difficult to leave. And we wouldn't be signing freebies.

Archived