Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Mark of Ayrshire said:

All this thread for a guy who has been here for a year? Crazy stuff

Think it's more to do with the feel good factor that came with Frank and some of the football / results we saw under him than the length of time he was here. Folk are desperate to retain that feeling with the promise of greater success again this season and I, for one, fully understand that. 

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Think it's more to do with the feel good factor that came with Frank and some of the football / results we saw under him than the length of time he was here. Folk are desperate to retain that feeling with the promise of greater success again this season and I, for one, fully understand that. 

Exactly. That feelgood feeling should not be underestimated.

That's why we shouldn't go down the promotion at all costs, defensive 1-0 wins. I think there's more to feeling good about your football team than just winning. Style, performance and a bond with the club and its players also matters.

The next appointment has to build on the foundations laid by Frank. Both supporters and players need to be inspired.

7 minutes ago, 86 points said:

The football wasn’t always all it was made out to be, and there was not a Huge amount to promise greater success this coming season (my opinions).  I know others have a very different view on this

22 minutes ago, Mark of Ayrshire said:

One year.....yet built a connection with the fans like no manager in the last 30 years! And in fact, although it’s before my time since Dave MacKay or even the great man himself mr clough!

And before anyone pulls me up I’m talking      About building a connection with the fans not actual success!

28 minutes ago, Mark of Ayrshire said:

Should have seen the size of the George Thorne thread who was here even less time whilst on loan. 

Probably worth remembering that as of this moment we don't actually have a vacancy so can't have offered the job to anyone, that we are (I think) required to interview at least one BAME candidate and Darren Moore would clearly be on that list should the conditions of his departure from WBA allow (ditto Hughton) and that on Talksport Mel very clearly said that they would not be speaking to any candidates currently in work until there is a vacancy.

It wouldn't be surprising if Darren Moore had been interviewed already. Mel's trying to get ahead of the game if Frank leaves. But he'll also be considering candidates in work once he knows what Frank is doing.

1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

One year.....yet built a connection with the fans like no manager in the last 30 years! And in fact, although it’s before my time since Dave MacKay or even the great man himself mr clough!

And before anyone pulls me up I’m talking      About building a connection with the fans not actual success!

Dead right. It wasn’t perfect last season by any means but it did feel like fun. And the Lampard ‘thing’ did add some razzmatazz to it all.

You can’t polish a turd - but you can sprinkle some glitter and stardust on it.

Thats why I hope he stays.

1 hour ago, David said:

I have spoken with Mel tonight and wanted to clear a couple of things up and issue a gentle reminder of an interview when was aired on TalkSport on Wednesday.

There has been a lot of talk about Lampard’s announcement being delayed until the 1st July for FFP, this is not true. The situation is the same as it was on Wednesday when Mel spoke on TalkSport, the club are waiting to hear the outcome of the negotiations between Frank and Chelsea. 

If Frank does leave, please go back and listen to Mel’s interview on TalkSport where he discusses the type of manager the club will be looking at bringing in.

The club wish to continue the style of play we saw under Frank, be open to using the academy players and a manager that we, the fans, will have a connection with and won’t be booing after the first goal of the season is conceded!

This clearly rules out a number of managers on the bookies shortlists so don’t get yourself worked up when a manager goes evens.

We’re all frustrated, the club are aware, but stay calm, try and be patient. Monday morning and the start of pre season is more about fitness, seeing which players have indulged over the summer a little too much and need to run an extra lap around Moor Farm, no real coaching takes place. Whilst not ideal, it shouldn’t impact our preparations for the season too much.

This thread is so huge and it's impossible for most of us to keep up. I only spotted this post because of Twitter. I wonder if it should be broken out into a thread of its own as "Mel speaks to the forum" or some such? Otherwise I fear it'll be swamped in the other posts.

Either way, well done Mel for being in touch (it's amazing how he communicates with fans) and thanks to David for having the kind of forum where an owner feels able to pick up the phone. How effin cool is that!!?? ?????

Just caught up with the midweek episode of the Guardian Football Weekly podcast. They don't often mention Derby but there was a funny section on the FL saga and whether Derby had ever poached a manager from another club, starting in the 1920s...

The piece is from 36:35.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/audio/2019/jun/26/handballs-toon-troubles-and-multiple-adama-traores-football-weekly-extra-podcast

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

This thread is so huge and it's impossible for most of us to keep up. I only spotted this post because of Twitter. I wonder if it should be broken out into a thread of its own as "Mel speaks to the forum" or some such? Otherwise I fear it'll be swamped in the other posts.

Either way, well done Mel for being in touch (it's amazing how he communicates with fans) and thanks to David for having the kind of forum where an owner feels able to pick up the phone. How effin cool is that!!?? ?????

Mel didn't pick up the phone.

He just rolled over and whispered!

13 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Connection how?

12 minutes ago, David said:

Should have seen the size of the George Thorne thread who was here even less time whilst on loan. 

And look how that turned out, maybe people will be desperate to get lampard back after he had been sacked by Chelsea and had to drop to Leyton orient to try and rebuild his reputation and managed one reasonable season with them where they just missed promotion 

19 minutes ago, David said:

George Thorne could and should have been the new messiah!

The man that captained us to the premier league but sadly it all went so wrong !

He could have been bigger than Jesus Christ himself !

2 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Seriously? I'm wondering about implicit bias. It's a normal thing, but I wondered if it was affecting the reaction to Moore disproportionately, seeing as I'm struggling to find a single post supporting him.

Is that alright or shouldn't we talk about that?

Yet Chris hughton is has support?

9 minutes ago, Mark of Ayrshire said:

Connection how?

Did you go to the games?  He started the bounce! He immersed himself in the club and the city like no manager in my lifetime. Cox Smith McClaren more successful but never connected with the fans like Frank has

24 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Other than the FFP rumour there really is nothing new, the situation is as it was Wednesday and that’s the funny thing, it’s gone in one ear and out the other in a couple of days.

It’s very rare I will attempt to squash any of these rumours, although I share the frustration over the delay so asked the question. I didn’t think it was worthy of any separate discussion. 

16 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Did you go to the games?  He started the bounce! He immersed himself in the club and the city like no manager in my lifetime. Cox Smith McClaren more successful but never connected with the fans like Frank has

Please tell me you're trolling. Don't get me wrong, Lampard's enthusiasm is great, but this is crazy. In what way did Frank Lampard immerse himself in the city?

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Darren Moore, great player for us but.....

Really? I'm not even sure about that. 

If this rumour is true then mel has put less effort into finding a new manager than we have on here ? 

Archived