Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

Don't know if this has been posted but it's an interview on Soccer AM from 3 years ago.

Chelsea don't want to be publicly turned down and Lamps doesn't want to publicly reject Chelsea, so I suspect it's just a formality now otherwise it wouldn't have got to this stage. I could be wrong but I hope not.

Some of you saying Chelsea haven't commented, therefore they may not have approached Frank but I seriously doubt that's the case. We hire managers a lot (a bit like you lot) and there tends to be nothing said by the club until it's all signed and sealed.

I'm not gloating in any way, you're obviously losing a popular manager and that's tough. We've lost two players to Real Madrid in recent years, and I'm old enough to remember a time when we regularly lost our best players (Wilkins, Nevin, Townsend, Durie).

Those of you doubting whether Lampard will be given time, I'd be shocked if he wasn't. He's loved at Chelsea and people realise he has a big task ahead of him and he's very much learning his trade. Whether he turns out to be good is another matter. Usually we hire people with pedigree but this one's definitely a punt. If he comes I'll be ecstatic along with practically every other Chelsea fan I imagine, though many will fear it's too early. We've got a good youth system and I also fully expect us to be sending a few more kids your way on loan.

Ultimately, we want to be challenging, so though he'll be given time, if he can't compete with the best managers out there he'll be gone. We're going to give him a chance but ultimately he has to be up to it. He possesses incredible drive, determination, single-mindedness, ambition and self-belief. He's going to need every ounce of it. Chelsea is a tough job.

Anyway good luck next season folks, with or without Lampard. Maybe we'll be seeing each other soon, either in the PL or the Championship !!!!!!!

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daily Star Sport‏Verified account @DailyStar_Sport 5h5 hours ago

Frank Lampard's brief Derby spell is up- and @davearmitage7 is furious at how he's handled it #CFC #DCFC.  Article from this fella at Daily Star .  May have already been noted .    The whole thing on the birthday celebration brought up which was the turning point for many on here - me included. 

New Chelsea song now Franks bringing his bounce with him - if you don't do the bouncy your a Sarri fan boy . WTF

1 hour ago, Harry B said:

If he comes I'll be ecstatic along with practically every other Chelsea fan I imagine

I still don't understand why, not even sour grapes, but he was on the better side of average for us, nothing special, but not bad either. I know Chelsea love Frank, but it doesn't cover for his first season in management only being decent, if he wasn't your former player would be be ecstatic with a 6th place Championship manager? Genuinely curious.

49 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Daily Star Sport‏Verified account @DailyStar_Sport 5h5 hours ago

Frank Lampard's brief Derby spell is up- and @davearmitage7 is furious at how he's handled it #CFC #DCFC.  Article from this fella at Daily Star .  May have already been noted .    The whole thing on the birthday celebration brought up which was the turning point for many on here - me included. 

New Chelsea song now Franks bringing his bounce with him - if you don't do the bouncy your a Sarri fan boy . WTF

Sarri?

Isn't that the posh cricket club that play at The Oval?

Edit: I said Oval, not Orval, @sage

Looks like its done then pretty much - cant believe it has taken this long and disrupted our preperations so much.

Sadly not very classy - It was clear Chelsea wanted him and I assume he wants to go - fair enough but why not have the class to call that out day 1 rather than all this silence nonsense..

Feel a bit let down by him to be honest - he agreed to do a job here - if he leaves he hasnt done it - simple as that..we all knew he wanted top end up at Chelsea - no issue with that but he hasnt treated our club with a great deal of respect and if he goes will be walking away from an unfinished job..shabby at best..

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

SSN are currently saying that Chelsea have agreed to pay the 'buy out clause' - which suggests some contact.

I think that's a prerequisite of giving them permission to talk. Pretty much a given if the widely reported contractual position of £4m to a Champions League team is correct. One thing is, if Frank goes, we don't want to be in a position of Chelsea refusing to also pay compensation for the rest of the backroom staff so I'd hope we've bumped it up to something like £7m all in rather than having one of those ridiculous scenarios when the previous manager's coaching staff are put on gardening leave.

If Frank goes I absolutely don't want Gerrard. Two great midfielders but that's where the comparison ends - two very different men.

15 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think that's a prerequisite of giving them permission to talk. Pretty much a given if the widely reported contractual position of £4m to a Champions League team is correct. One thing is, if Frank goes, we don't want to be in a position of Chelsea refusing to also pay compensation for the rest of the backroom staff so I'd hope we've bumped it up to something like £7m all in rather than having one of those ridiculous scenarios when the previous manager's coaching staff are put on gardening leave.

If Frank goes I absolutely don't want Gerrard. Two great midfielders but that's where the comparison ends - two very different men.

Nah , put them on gardening leave .  Collecting dog poo from markeaton park .  Quite vindictive I know but i'm feeling that way that way over this . A slow drip feed of annoyance over week's of prattle . See how Chelsea and Frank like it up em for a change we can disrupt them for a bit.   Will piss there opinionated fans off as well .

Chelsea and Lampard have kind of treated Derby like we are just an insignificant small moving part in his destiny to manage Chelsea. 

None of the talk has been about his promises to Derby and the project he signed up to....I honestly thought he was so much better than that.

18 minutes ago, Yani P said:

Chelsea and Lampard have kind of treated Derby like we are just an insignificant small moving part in his destiny to manage Chelsea. 

None of the talk has been about his promises to Derby and the project he signed up to....I honestly thought he was so much better than that.

Agreed. Lampard really pulled the wool over the eyes of some with his rhetoric about how this was "his" club.  I don't see how any Derby fan could hold any respect for him and his mediocre achievements here after this saga. 

I think he did a very good job and i'm very disappointed that he is going. the real highlight - leeds away - now counts for nothing. Its sad that the feelgood factor and the love for frank seems to have evaporated rapidly. Maybe some carefully considered comments soon can repair some of the damage but he's wandering into rowett territory now. Whilst he was sunning himself in St Tropez, we had to endure two or three weeks of radio silence, and a drip feed to the media which has been painful to endure. 

It will only get worse when we have to observe all the fuss that the chelsea fans and the media will make of him when this becomes official. The pull of chelsea is understandable but unfortunately he can't now walk away to take that job without half-trashing the reputation and the rapport he built here. Leeds fans will be looking forward to baiting us over this. 

Still think people are being overly harsh on Frank. Think people’s views are clouded by hurt and bitterness at losing him so soon. Lets face it most are upset he’s going and the alternatives don’t seem as inspiring. Looking at the situation on its merits, he’s not done anything wrong. The daily star article is journo who has probably viewed the social media comments and seen Ian Wright’s interview and come up with a different angle for his story, nothing more.

I think some ex-pros and some of the media have been awful and shown complete disrespect. But Chelsea is bigger news than Derby and Lampard is bigger news than Derby. That’s the reality as much as we don’t like it as some of us remember Chelsea being a tinpot club.

How Frank addresses the past few weeks and his time at Derby will be key for me, if he barely refers to us and just focuses on his dream job then he’s a charlatan and I take it all back. I don’t think this will be the case. I go back to Ian Wright’s comments, despite the criticism he made of Chelsea and ex pros there was no criticism of Frank, he even said something to the effect of Frank will do right by all parties because that’s the man he is, from someone who knows and has worked with him.

Even more interesting will be Mel’s take on all this. Remember he’s not backward in coming forward, if he thinks Franks done the dirty on us then he’ll call him out. Ultimately if Mel’s happy, I’m happy and Frank deserves our best wishes.

Can’t blame him for going. There’s no loyalty in football anymore from managers or clubs and its his dream job.

If he has a bad start to the season with us he’d have been out the door by Christmas and with it his chances of ever managing Chelsea.

However, his bird posting that Stay or Go video has really annoyed the duck out of me. Real bad disrespect and lack of class shown there.

11 minutes ago, GeneralRam said:

Can’t blame him for going. There’s no loyalty in football anymore from managers or clubs and its his dream job.

If he has a bad start to the season with us he’d have been out the door by Christmas and with it his chances of ever managing Chelsea.

However, his bird posting that Stay or Go video has really annoyed the duck out of me. Real bad disrespect shown there.

People on this message board were calling for him to be sacked only a few months ago. If next season hadn’t have started well those same posters will be calling it again. Remember Mel sacked clement after 7 months (although I agreed with that) sacked Pearson after 3 months (agreed with that one too) and mac2 after 5 months (didn’t agree with that). There is no loyalty in football.

Worst case for Frank, he’s sacked before the season is out, he gets his £16.5m contract paid up (tripled his current contract he was with Derby), and he’s prime candidate for the next prem job to come up of which there will be many. Collymore has actually hit the nail on the head saying he thinks Frank will be manager of Chelsea minimum 3 times in his career. He’s nowhere near the manager he will want to end up being and Chelsea won’t deviate from hiring and firing as he develops.

Ultimately if he is good enough he’ll rise to the top and personally I think he will.

40 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

People on this message board were calling for him to be sacked only a few months ago.

Lets get it in perspective. 99% were fully behind frank.

Can’t see how people can say Frank himself has really handled this poorly. If he’s on holiday he’s on holiday, surely people can respect that. He obviously can’t come out with a statement saying he’s staying if he’s off! 

For what it’s worth I wish him all the best and think he will do a good job at Chelsea. Probably what they need most right now with their transfer embargo is someone who can unite the club and Frank is definitely capable of that. If he had a great connection with the Derby fans in under a year, imagine what it would be like at a club where he spent the best part of 15 years.

Very sad to see him go as I thought that I’d seen enough at the end of the season to suggest Frank would take us up automatically this season but can’t begrudge him for turning down this particular job. Think now we should be looking at Cowley or Stendel.

5 hours ago, Andicis said:

I still don't understand why, not even sour grapes, but he was on the better side of average for us, nothing special, but not bad either. I know Chelsea love Frank, but it doesn't cover for his first season in management only being decent, if he wasn't your former player would be be ecstatic with a 6th place Championship manager? Genuinely curious.

We only got that because of a floodlight failure near the end of the Norwich game *ducks*. Strange appointment, 3 years from now possibly. At the end of the day, if he was not called Frank Lampard, no way would Chelsea appoint him as manager.

8 minutes ago, TimRam said:

We only got that because of a floodlight failure near the end of the Norwich game *ducks*. Strange appointment, 3 years from now possibly. At the end of the day, if he was not called Frank Lampard, no way would Chelsea appoint him as manager.

Nail on the head ????

I wish FL not I’ll will just very disappointed in him and his lack of loyalty to us and our club.

Chelsea ???? now that’s a different matter all together?? the lot of em. 

Archived