Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

1 minute ago, Seaside Ram said:

If your Mrs/girlfriend announced over tea tonight she was happy with you and did love you but a new hunk has started at work and he wants to bang her and move her in would you wish her all the best ????? 

Ha. You've gone right mad, son. I wish you the best too. Also, maybe you're just crap at making tea...and need to put in more work at holding on to your missus. 

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been inevitable for weeks. Sky and the rest are only doing what they have to do...generate as much hype about any given story as they can. Sell copy.

Frank is probably taking this a year or two early in managerial experience terms, but on the flip side he's taking his dream job while his stock is high. Another failure to get promoted with Derby and his chance may not have come again. Cannot blame him one bit. He's kept quiet and remained respectful.

Mel knew this was likely, and employed Frank with a great contract from our point of view. £4m for a manager is solid compo. He's maintained his public position with dignity and behind the scenes I'll guarantee he's had people looking for the next man up for a while.

Chelsea haven't taken the mickey, and showed a minimum of dramatics in the business given the significance of the deal.

It's football, it happens, and we'll be fine. A new manager every year is probably the norm at most clubs in the modern game and it shows how important the structure is behind the manager. I think Mel's got that covered.

7 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I know it makes me sound like a twisted twit, but I hope he gets sacked next season and fails miserably, not becuase I dislike him but because of how he will be hailed as a messiah for Chelsea due to his playing days  and really for me he is an average manager who was a top player. He could develop into a great manager over time, but with some of the piss poor team selections(Wembley and numerous occasions wrongly starting Nugent and other poor selections e.g. Villa away and his substitutions vs Villa at home ) and some of the inconsistent  performances we had last season , apart from  the ability to attract quality loans we are not missing out on much.  It is honestly not sour grapes as some may think, at no point have I been fully convinced in his abilities , don't get me wrong he did an ok job , but with the players at our disposal he achieved the bare minimum in my opinion, I don't buy the transition season BS. Very controversial I know but I just don't like how over hyped he is , and we are Derby county not ducking Frank Lampard's Derby county.

It does sound like sour grapes, if you didn’t rate the job he has done then why wouldnt you be happy he is going and care what he does at Chelsea. I felt this way about GR and wasn’t bothered in the slightest about his career once he left, was just glad for him to be out the club.

Personally I thought FL did a good job last season, got us to Wembley in his first season, had two great cup runs outplaying PL teams and changed our football philosophy from turgid horrible football to an attractive  pressing attacking style. That’s in the past now though, I think he has handled this badly, and after all his talk to leave after only one season is disappointing to say the least, but whilst I don’t wish him luck I certainly don’t feel any ill feeling towards him.

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Am I in a minority of one thinking you've all lost your minds?

It was inevitable Frank would have to talk with Chelsea once he came back from his hollibobs. All the speculation made it a no brainer. Any rational intelligent person would want to hear what they have to say. Given the mess they've got themselves into, Frank might well think he's the fall guy who has to somehow manage with the loss of their best player and the inability to buy any new ones and that he wants guarantees that he won't be sacked if that proves too difficult.

If I were him I'd tell Roman something like, "I want three years guaranteed and if you sack me before then you have to pay me £50m compensation". Get Abramovich to put his money where his mouth is. In this negotiation, Frank holds all the cards and he will know that. Like any job interview, the prospective candidate should be interviewing the employer every bit as much as they're interviewing him.

Why do all of you think it's a foregone conclusion that he's gone? For me this doesn't change anything in the melodrama but just indicates we're moving along and will soon reach a conclusion, one way or the other. He hasn't left yet and he might not.

In many ways CS I think your theory is correct. Frank has had an increased offer from us which would, I would guess, have tempted him and he's a bright guy and he will know the risks as well as we do. He probably has enjoyed the last season and the genuine connection he has made within the club and with the fans. It probably took him by surprise.

But. He will not have got to his current position by lacking self confidence. He will believe he can be the manager to break the hiring and firing trend at Chelsea. Secondly, he has a 9 month old daughter and two other teenage daughters that live in the south east with their mum. This last 12 months can't have been easy for him at times and to be going home after work rather than to a rented house will be a big draw for him I would guess. And thirdly, the suspicion remains that this isn't the beginning of discussions but the end of them - contract ts crossing and Is dotting, press conference organising. The rules about being given permission to talk to players or managers are impossible to maintain and police in the days of third party representatives. Clubs have agents, players and managers do, agents probably have agents. All Frank will have had to do would be to have a series of conversations with his agent and let them do the rest.  This is a multi-million £ deal for Chelsea and there's no way that they will have got to this stage with that at risk without having a good knowledge and agreement of Frank's demands.

I would, still, like him to stay. I think it would be better for him and his career. I think we will hear lots of platitudes about how good we have been for him and how much he loves our club; how Chelsea is the only job he would have moved for and how unexpected the offer was, all of which will probably be true. But I would put the chances of him staying at less than 1%, unless of course Mel is giving them permission to talk without being asked in order to hurry it up because he knows Chelsea are really after someone else. But that really would be Machiavellian.

6 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

If your Mrs/girlfriend announced over tea tonight she was happy with you and did love you but a new hunk has started at work and he wants to bang her and move her in would you wish her all the best ????? 

Nope, I'd help her pack her bags though.....

Oh gawd, hope she doesn't read this. 

It beats me why so many people on here think that Lampard is too inexperienced for the Chelsea job, given the number of fans willing to give Derby managers past and present the benefit of their 'knowledge' and to tell them where they have gone wrong.

10 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

For £4 million, yes.  You wouldn't?

8 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

Yeh, but in this scenario you've only been with your missus for for a short while and the 'new hunk' is her ex who she was engaged to and they only broke up because he had to move abroad for work, has a lot more money, a lovely big house in a nicer part of town much closer to her parents 

You'd be a bit upset but could (after a while) probably understand the decision

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Derby Manager Odds...

A HORRIBLE list.  God I hope this has NO reflection on how Mel & Co. are actually thinking.

Danny Cowley 5/2

Frank Lampard (Stays) 3/1

Darren Moore 7/1

Garry Monk 7/1

Roy Keane 12/1

John Terry 12/1

Shocking list of replacements. Although Roy Keane being on the list just shows how pathetic betting odds can be at times, I mean, why on earth would Mel appoint a Forest legend?

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh, but in this scenario you've only been with your missus for for a short while and the 'new hunk' is her ex who she was engaged to and they only broke up because he had to move abroad for work, has a lot more money, a lovely big house in a nicer part of town much closer to her parents 

You'd be a bit upset but could (after a while) probably understand the decision

AND HES A HUNK!!!!!

25 minutes ago, peachmyster said:

Agree totally with this playing specially  Bennett in stead of Marriott cost us at Wembley 

Nope, playing Huddlestone instead of Marriott cost us at Wembley. 

It was a negative move that you could see a mile off would backfire.

I feel sorry for Mel in all this. When appointing FL he must of thought that, barring an unmitigated disaster, that FL would hang around for at a bare minimum of half of his contract length. Mel is also the only one in this sorry state of affairs to put his head above the parapet. He would probably be the first one to admit he's made mistakes during his tenure but the guy deserves a break in my eyes. Gonna be interesting to hear what he has to say tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Derby Manager Odds...

A HORRIBLE list.  God I hope this has NO reflection on how Mel & Co. are actually thinking.

Danny Cowley 5/2

Frank Lampard (Stays) 3/1

Darren Moore 7/1

Garry Monk 7/1

Roy Keane 12/1

John Terry 12/1

the it crowd goodbye GIF

24 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

If he offered me £4m for her and another £3m for her mates he'd be the top of my Christmas card list.

Wish him well ,did us no harm ,created a lot of publicity for the club and had an enjoyable and successful season with him at the healm. Sure he has a great future as a manager and possibly will win things in the future.

Thought his team selections at times were mystifying, and his greatest asset was a manager for us was the ability to pull in excellent loanes for the club.That trait won't be any use to him in the Chelsea job so he will be judged soley on his decision making, performances and results.

Irrespective of what he achieves at Chelsea ,it will have been expected of him or of anyone else in charge so I am sure at some point in his career he will have some regrets of not having stayed at Derby ,never knowing what he may have been able to achieve.

Good luck Frank, Thanks for season, Disappointed you've chosen to go at the first opportunity even if it is Chelsea. But hey ho you know where to entrust a few verge team players .

1 minute ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I feel sorry for Mel in all this. When appointing FL he must of thought that, barring an unmitigated disaster, that FL would hang around for at a bare minimum of half of his contract length. Mel is also the only one in this sorry state of affairs to put his head above the parapet. He would probably be the first one to admit he's made mistakes during his tenure but the guy deserves a break in my eyes. Gonna be interesting to hear what he has to say tomorrow. 

Derby County things I’m afraid. You go for a rookie manager who you can build for atleast a couple of seasons and he gets picked up by one of the biggest teams in the world.

I enjoyed last season and how Jody and Frank genuinely seemed surprised to be loving it so much and think the timing of this is unlucky for us, but I have been disappointed with Frank's lack of engagement with anything Derby related since the play-off final (compared to Jody and the returning loanees) but still vaguely wish him well but if I see him doing the bounce at Chelsea that will change in an instant!

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

If he's already decided he wants to go to Chelsea that sits ok with me and is understandable, just wish he'd never come out with the post-Wembley comments - he's an intelligent bloke and must had been aware of Sarri's situation at Chelsea and how their fans had turned against him. As far as how his Chelsea goes then I have a feeling of complete indifference - not bothered whether he does well or takes them down into mid-table security - he will no longer have any link to Derby County so why should I bother?

It could have all been so different but onward we go.

Yep, this sums up my feelings too. The post Wembley comments are very annoying, but hey ho that’s football. Onwards and hopefully upwards.

Archived