Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

2 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Win ratios from sheff Utd al ltime list ?  interesting stats for the we hate nigel brigade .

http://www.managerstats.co.uk/clubs/sheffield-united/

Nigel nearly tops the list he is 3rd in all time list for wins ratio.

Well if you wanna talk numbers, lets. Under Clough, we lost more games than we won at Championship level, with a 33.5% win rate, which is shocking. 

His win rate at Sheffield United is 47.1%, but they were by far the biggest club in the division, and he failed, because they weren't promoted and he was fired.

You tally up his win ratio to get an average, you get 36%, which isn't good.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Win ratios from sheff Utd al ltime list ?  interesting stats for the we hate nigel brigade .

biggest team in that league, biggest budget, biggest wage bill, best players. They were the equivalent of Villa in our league. Anything but promotion was a failure, and he failed... badly.

24 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Quick text doesn't ruin your holiday does it?

A quick text to whom? To say what? And when? After it all happened? How do you know it didn’t.

We don’t know enough facts to condemn Lampard. There’s a bad taste in terms of the obvious and intentional leaks of interest from Chelsea’s end and the way specific pundits and media personalities have handled themselves, but as far as it goes with Lampard, the bloke’s been on holiday and is entitled to enjoy it. 

28 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Because Drogba, Ferdinand, Redknapp etc, Lampard had the power to shut them up, but he didn't. 

Just a wind up here. 

You keep posting things that folks disagree with, see how hard it is to get someone to stop talking? 

Seriously though, it's not on Frank to stop those folks from speaking their mind. Like others have said, maybe he did ask them to stay quiet, maybe he didn't. Doesn't matter either way. Folks are going to speak their mind regardless (as you, and I should too). 

Also- Frank hasn't gone yet. He's been given permission to have talks...and he should have talks. I like Frank, would like him to stay. If he goes, then we just go again. 

COYR!

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

• Two decent cup-runs

We got to a League Cup semi final under Paul Jewell.

• Beating United at Old Trafford for the first time in 18 years 

We drew and won a penalty shoot out against a United side that we were playing at a favourable time. A great night, but all thanks to Frank?

• First time we’ve scored six in 23 years

How bad were Rotherham?

• The final four; beating QPR in stoppage time when we knew results were going our way, effectively winning a play-off quarter final against Bristol City the week after, drawing at Swansea and thus having to do it on the final day.

A situation of our own making because we had failed to win the games we should have - Millwall, Stoke, Sheffield Wednesday at home and Ipswich away.

• Leeds

A great night, yes. But we’ve won play off semi finals before? The Southampton play off home leg was just as dramatic, for example.

Frank did some good things and had some great moments, but I think the adulation is a little strong.

If we are going to thank him for the memories, then I should probably get King Billy on the phone.

Only my opinion.

24 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

As always @Carl Sagan intelligence and common sense combined to produce a stand-out perspective that I entirely share and agree with. I am increasingly of the view that you Sir, are indeed from another planet as in, to quote Richard Burton, "...minds immeasurably superior to our own". 

“ minds immeasurably superior to ours”-small detail but I blame my English teacher-he was a sod for accuracy with quotes!?

1 minute ago, Hanny said:

Just a wind up here. 

You keep posting things that folks disagree with, see how hard it is to get someone to stop talking? 

Seriously though, it's not on Frank to stop those folks from speaking their mind. Like others have said, maybe he did ask them to stay quiet, maybe he didn't. Doesn't matter either way. Folks are going to speak their mind regardless (as you, and I should too). 

Also- Frank hasn't gone yet. He's been given permission to have talks...and he should have talks. I like Frank, would like him to stay. If he goes, then we just go again. 

COYR!

Sure, but it definitely sours things for me. If Chelsea just approached and Lampard went then fine, best of luck, we move on. Now I can't help but wish for Chelsea to fail just to shut up Drogba, Ferdinand and co. 

Young Clough aint failed anywhere he has been . He has never turned a club into relegation material ever quite the opposite , granted he hasn't achieved instant success agreed , more like slowly slowly catchy monkey .

But he has NEVER had a large budget to play with and sheff utd in L1 isn't a massive budget .

I think some people like to knock Nigel .Its quite likely its the same people who would have stimac as Derby manager and the SAME people who didn't bat an eye lid at having Lampard appointed last year and he hadn't even been a manager lol , where is clough had with Burton .

I would be quite happy to see Mel give Nigel a 2nd crack with some cash to spend . And your Wrong Mac when appointed after Clough did get money straight away as we had the ground renamed to Ipro as I recall this resulted in an influx of money . What stank is they didn't trust Nigel to spend it but were quite happy for him to get Derby through the lean income years.

18 minutes ago, muttley72 said:

I’ve just had “the chat” with Charlie to tell him it looks like Franks going...I’m not sure how long this sulking will last. CACBDBBD-C2F9-4E74-8136-519954DDEFE5.thumb.jpeg.3bcc39425f83f3a11c19463a7a26bd35.jpeg

Nice draught excluder.

25 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Sounds complicated. I might just throw em in the bin along with all my Frank posters. The missus was never too keen on them being on our bedroom wall. ?

You keep crisps on the bedroom wall!?

14 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

why do you think we hate him?

he's not good enough and does not have the connections to find good players well at least not to get us promoted.  Great guy, good manager but not good enough for us.  No hate

4 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

sheff utd in L1 isn't a massive budget .

Contextually it was.

And your Wrong Mac when appointed after Clough did get money straight away as we had the ground renamed to Ipro as I recall this resulted in an influx of money . What stank is they didn't trust Nigel to spend it but were quite happy for him to get Derby through the lean income years.

You are wrong, McClaren only made a few signings that year, mainly loan signings, hardly this influx of money for him to spend. Clough just couldn't persuade big clubs to trust him with loans.

5 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Young Clough aint failed anywhere he has been

Yes he has, Sheffield United. The last few years here.

6 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

I think some people like to knock Nigel .Its quite likely its the same people who would have stimac as Derby manager and the SAME people who didn't bat an eye lid at having Lampard appointed last year and he hadn't even been a manager lol , where is clough had with Burton .

Genuinely haven't seen a single poster on here suggest Stimac, not one.

We should be banging an additional day rate on top of the 4m compo to speak with lampard with how long chelski have dragged this on for. Everyone deep down knew he was off But this could have been wrapped up a while ago and we could have begun building for next year.

26 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Nope dead serious .

I would love to see what young clough could do with money to spend .

I'd take Simon as head of recruitment, considering most of the team are still players brought in on his watch, he can obviously spot a player.  But Nigel had his time and he held himself back with negative tactics again & again...

8 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Young Clough aint failed anywhere he has been . He has never turned a club into relegation material ever quite the opposite , granted he hasn't achieved instant success agreed , more like slowly slowly catchy monkey .

But he has NEVER had a large budget to play with and sheff utd in L1 isn't a massive budget .

I would be quite happy to see Mel give Nigel a 2nd crack with some cash to spend . And your Wrong Mac when appointed after Clough did get money straight away as we had the ground renamed to Ipro as I recall this resulted in an influx of money . What stank is they didn't trust Nigel to spend it but were quite happy for him to get Derby through the lean income years.

Even if Nigel was given plenty of cash to spend, he'd still have all 11 players back defending corners at home when we're 2-1 down.

I'll always have a soft spot for Nigel, and I was genuinely sad when he got sacked as I wanted him to succeed so much. I don't think he's good enough to take us forward, even with money behind him, but I do think he never got the credit he deserved, and McClaren's was overstated.

I think he made some shrewd signings, many of whom became crowd favourites. He signed a lot of duds for us too, but that's inevitable when you're restricted to signing players on the cheap from lower leagues and the SPL.

The best thing he did was create a real sense of team spirit, and he very much had a philosophy and was committed to having us play the same way from the academy through to the first team. We played some great stuff at times, but he was always too tentative and his Mourinho-like reluctance to let players off the leash restricted us. What McClaren did was gave the players some freedom, put a greater emphasis on our attacking play (sometimes to our detriment) and treated it like he would any other job, whereas Clough was perhaps too invested in the club, when the club sadly wasn't as invested in him.

8 minutes ago, Spanish said:

why do you think we hate him?

he's not good enough and does not have the connections to find good players well at least not to get us promoted.  Great guy, good manager but not good enough for us.  No hate

Personally I have too much respect for Nigel clough to want him to come back to Derby 

15 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Frank did some good things and had some great moments, but I think the adulation is a little strong.

If we are going to thank him for the memories, then I should probably get King Billy on the phone.

Only my opinion.

But people equally still will watch the 5-0 Lupoli volley, Southampton semi, Wembley ‘07, beating Leeds at Elland Road for the first time in how many years, beating Stoke, the 3-2 Forest comeback, Commons vs United… it’s moments like that that define a season and what become the narrative. 

17/18 didn’t really have any moments that jumped out at you other than Vydra in 24 seconds. 

13 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Sure, but it definitely sours things for me. If Chelsea just approached and Lampard went then fine, best of luck, we move on. Now I can't help but wish for Chelsea to fail just to shut up Drogba, Ferdinand and co. 

I understand the frustration. It's all felt a bit unfair, and forced at the Rams expense. End of the day, Frank still needs to make the decision...regardless of all the noise. I look forward to finding out what he chooses. 

Archived