Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

I'm not annoyed at Frank, but I am very annoyed at the media and all those ex-pros. 

I wish Frank best wishes and wish Chelsea nothing but disaster - the two are at odds with one another and out of the two, Chelsea falling to pieces would satisfy me most

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

Rowett was one of us and left for a team in the same division.

Lampard will always be a Chelsea legend and will probably leave (has left) at the first opportunity. Chelsea are much bigger than us.

Exactly! My initial thought when he was appointed was, provided he does well, I don't think he'd be type of manager to jump ship if an offer from Stoke or Newcastle, or anyone of their ilk comes in because he doesn't need the money or to enhance his profile. The only club I could see him leaving for was Chelsea, because no other top side would gamble on someone so experienced, but I figured that would be a few years down the line at least. This is an extraordinary situation, and the only managers with that kind of unbreakable bond to their clubs are Lampard and Gerrard, and Liverpool have Klopp.

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

No. I'm with you. I'm astounded that he's top of their list. 

But if it works, it works.

I certainly harbour no ill will towards Frank and his staff, assuming they say yes. I'm disappointed he's going, because I like him, but there's a good chance we bring in someone as good or better (although that's not a certainty). Other than that my only other feeling on the matter is that I feel this is a disingenuous attempt by Chelsea to keep the fans on board after a lacklustre season and the sale of their best asset. I worry (for Frank, I don't care about Chelsea) that this will all end in tears for them.

All I hope now is that whoever replaces him can build on the good work he did. Because if we hit the hard reset for another ducking year in a row I'm just going to switch to watching Cricket.

I agree, his connection with Chelsea is strong but he will never forget the year he spent with us, I wish him well and hope it’s everything he wants it to be. Hugh risk at his stage of his fledgling managerial career.

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Am I in a minority of one thinking you've all lost your minds?

It was inevitable Frank would have to talk with Chelsea once he came back from his hollibobs. All the speculation made it a no brainer. Any rational intelligent person would want to hear what they have to say. Given the mess they've got themselves into, Frank might well think he's the fall guy who has to somehow manage with the loss of their best player and the inability to buy any new ones and that he wants guarantees that he won't be sacked if that proves too difficult.

If I were him I'd tell Roman something like, "I want three years guaranteed and if you sack me before then you have to pay me £50m compensation". Get Abramovich to put his money where his mouth is. In this negotiation, Frank holds all the cards and he will know that. Like any job interview, the prospective candidate should be interviewing the employer every bit as much as they're interviewing him.

Why do all of you think it's a foregone conclusion that he's gone? For me this doesn't change anything in the melodrama but just indicates we're moving along and will soon reach a conclusion, one way or the other. He hasn't left yet and he might not.

The problem with all this "demanding a guarantee" talk is its forgetting the inherent arrogance of great sports people.

Not bad arrogance, but belief in oneself. If he truly believes he's capable of being a great manager at Chelsea with Jody backing him, he won't feel any need to demand guarantees.

I agree with you that when holding all the cards, getting a safety net is the smart option. But if Chelsea say no, is he then going to walk away if he truly believes he's capable of doing a good job right from the off? I doubt it.

12 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

This whole saga has turned me right off him. I’m glad it’s coming to an end. Cheers Frank. Next! 

I still don't really understand what Lampard's done wrong here. The media, yes, Chelsea, possibly - but Lampard?

I predict I'll be getting bored with asking this question, but how is this any different to Nigel Clough landing (one of) his dream job(s) when he left Burton for Derby? 

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

If I were him I'd tell Roman something like, "I want three years guaranteed and if you sack me before then you have to pay me £50m compensation". Get Abramovich to put his money where his mouth is. In this negotiation, Frank holds all the cards and he will know that. Like any job interview, the prospective candidate should be interviewing the employer every bit as much as they're interviewing him.

Why do all of you think it's a foregone conclusion that he's gone? For me this doesn't change anything in the melodrama but just indicates we're moving along and will soon reach a conclusion, one way or the other. He hasn't left yet and he might not.

If he does, and Roman says "Ok.  Go on then.  It's a deal", I think it will be a foregone conclusion! ?

Just now, Duracell said:

I still don't really understand what Lampard's done wrong here. The media, yes, Chelsea, possibly - but Lampard?

I predict I'll be getting bored with asking this question, but how is this any different to Nigel Clough landing (one of) his dream job(s) when he left Burton for Derby? 

Because Drogba, Ferdinand, Redknapp etc, Lampard had the power to shut them up, but he didn't. 

7 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

In my original post, I did say take out the Man Utd cup game and this season will be viewed like any other.

Of course, that was a great night for the club, even though everyone knew we caught United at a good time.

But even beating United is something we’ve done a fair few times in my lifetime, so again hardly worth getting emotional as if Frank is leaving behind a picture book full of unique moments and memorable nights.

I just don’t get it.

Getting dangerously close to the ‘if you take Harry Wilson’s goals away then he’s crap’ argument there. Leeds and Man United away make last season above average. Arguably Southampton away too. Those are some special memories that you can’t just remove from the equation to level it out. 

Just now, Andicis said:

Because Drogba, Ferdinand, Redknapp etc, Lampard had the power to shut them up, but he didn't. 

How do you know he didn't try? Even if he didn't, why should he if he was on holiday? Call me a snowflake, but I think everyone should be entitled to some form of uninterrupted annual leave, regardless of how rich or famous they are.

Just now, Duracell said:

How do you know he didn't try? Even if he didn't, why should he if he was on holiday? Call me a snowflake, but I think everyone should be entitled to some form of uninterrupted annual leave, regardless of how rich or famous they are.

Quick text doesn't ruin your holiday does it?

15 minutes ago, Ramos said:

Kinda relieved now that we aren't in limbo anymore. Disappointing to see him go but can't wait for hughton/arteta/bowyer/McClaren/Allardyce/rowett/Gerrard/John Gregory's barmy army 

I don't think Mel will employ more than one

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

The problem with all this "demanding a guarantee" talk is its forgetting the inherent arrogance of great sports people.

Not bad arrogance, but belief in oneself. If he truly believes he's capable of being a great manager at Chelsea with Jody backing him, he won't feel any need to demand guarantees.

I agree with you that when holding all the cards, getting a safety net is the smart option. But if Chelsea say no, is he then going to walk away if he truly believes he's capable of doing a good job right from the off? I doubt it.

Absolutely he's going to walk away if there aren't the guarantees he should ask for. Frank will think a few steps ahead. If he's sacked by March with Chelsea in the bottom half of the table (without Hazard they were 12th best last season with a v experienced manager) then his career's over. And he wants a career in football management. 

9 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Am I in a minority of one thinking you've all lost your minds?

It was inevitable Frank would have to talk with Chelsea once he came back from his hollibobs. All the speculation made it a no brainer. Any rational intelligent person would want to hear what they have to say. Given the mess they've got themselves into, Frank might well think he's the fall guy who has to somehow manage with the loss of their best player and the inability to buy any new ones and that he wants guarantees that he won't be sacked if that proves too difficult.

As always @Carl Sagan intelligence and common sense combined to produce a stand-out perspective that I entirely share and agree with. I am increasingly of the view that you Sir, are indeed from another planet as in, to quote Richard Burton, "...minds immeasurably superior to our own". 

22 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

EXACTLY. I bet Mac would have done the same. Who would have predicted that Leon ducking Best would score two?

I still blame the Memsahib. When Rotherham scored their first, she nipped out for a pee. When she returned, it was 3-3.

3 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Nigel had been with Burton for 10 years. We gave Frank his first chance and he looks to be jumping ship at the first opportunity with a job half done after only 1 average season.

Im not bothered hes going, but isnt comparable to Nigel at all. Im used to us changing manager every season now - i didnt expect Frank to be any better than the rest. On the bright side hopefull we get to play Marriott again now.

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Getting dangerously close to the ‘if you take Harry Wilson’s goals away then he’s crap’ argument there. Leeds and Man United away make last season above average. Arguably Southampton away too. Those are some special memories that you can’t just remove from the equation to level it out. 

OK, point taken.

Thank you Richard Keogh for the memories.

Archived