Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I'm the same mate. I wouldn't be annoyed or angry with it. But I'd just be s bit meh. Would much rather Chris Hughton.

I've decided to have a little look at his time at WBA as a coach in general to try and shed some light on what we're potentially going to end up with:

He started out as very much 'backroom staff' at WBA and looked after the players going out on loan from their academy. He's always struck me as a counselor; a gentle giant. He's always been a leader. He's a guy that always had the backing from his players since day  one at WBA - academy lacky or not. It earned him a promotion to a first team coach in December 2017 under Pardew - within four months he was the stand-in manager. 

He took over a team with one win in 30 league games. A team with as many managers as league wins. A team with problems throughout the entire squad. It's understated just how poor that WBA team was. He won 3, drew 2 and lost just 1 in the six league games he was manager in - including a win at Old Trafford and against Tottenham. He only lost in the last game. You have to give him enormous respect considering he took over after a run of eight losses on the bounce. He certainly deserved the permanent job at the end of the season and got it. 

West Brom did have an expensively assembled side. I doubt anyone would argue that. He did lose a lot of good players during the summer and wasn't afforded the entire budget in order to replace them - Evans, Chadli, Rondon, Foster & McClean. He spent roughly £10m bringing Bartley and Johnstone to the club, plus Gayle on loan amongst others. Harvey Barnes proved to be instrumental and they're very unfortunate they couldn't keep him for the season. When you consider the talent squandered in the Stoke team, along with the players Villa had at their disposal. I don't think he was doing an unacceptable job. WBA were dead and buried before he took over and whilst I don't think they would have been promoted with Moore in charge, they would've definitely finished the season much better. I've heard the WBA team was too good to stay down, but there isn't many players in that squad that deserve to be playing Premier League football week-in, week-out. They have a squad filled with established players on big money that they are unlikely to get ever again. 

As I said: he wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm not knocking his achievements. He's done a respectable job and I think the job he had at WBA was certainly difficult to turn around. He's easy to support and back - he's a great guy. I just think that we shouldn't be looking to reinvent the wheel. Hughton proved at Brighton he can take a team with a similar budget and team into the Premier League and keep them there. Moore has shown promise, at the moment it's all it is. It's important to note that we, reportedly, pay Lampard more in his first job than Hughton ever earned at Brighton. It shows that his wages shouldn't be an issue. 

45 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Bye Frank ? you lacked the class that Craig Bryson showed. True Ram ? 

Craig Bryson once got the PFA involved to force a move to Burnley until we blew their contract out of the water.

It’s football, it’s not that deep.

6 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Just heard that Darren Moore could be a distinct possibility. Was told he was a shoe in. 

Don't know how true it is. Don't vilify me if not. Just passing on a rumour I've heard.

I for one hope it isn't true. Would be a bit uninspiring as there are better managers out there.

Can see this happening. Weren't he pictured with Wassall the other day? If he does come I wouldn't be inspired in the slightest. Cracking guy but that WBA team should have gone up in the top two last year. I remember when we played them at their place and he came out and said they performed really well?!? 

Chris Hughton is the man for me. Not done a bad job anywhere he's been in management. 

5 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I've decided to have a little look at his time at WBA as a coach in general to try and shed some light on what we're potentially going to end up with:

He started out as very much 'backroom staff' at WBA and looked after the players going out on loan from their academy. He's always struck me as a counselor; a gentle giant. He's always been a leader. He's a guy that always had the backing from his players since day  one at WBA - academy lacky or not. It earned him a promotion to a first team coach in December 2017 under Pardew - within four months he was the stand-in manager. 

He took over a team with one win in 30 league games. A team with as many managers as league wins. A team with problems throughout the entire squad. It's understated just how poor that WBA team was. He won 3, drew 2 and lost just 1 in the six league games he was manager in - including a win at Old Trafford and against Tottenham. He only lost in the last game. You have to give him enormous respect considering he took over after a run of eight losses on the bounce. He certainly deserved the permanent job at the end of the season and got it. 

West Brom did have an expensively assembled side. I doubt anyone would argue that. He did lose a lot of good players during the summer and wasn't afforded the entire budget in order to replace them - Evans, Chadli, Rondon, Foster & McClean. He spent roughly £10m bringing Bartley and Johnstone to the club, plus Gayle on loan amongst others. Harvey Barnes proved to be instrumental and they're very unfortunate they couldn't keep him for the season. When you consider the talent squandered in the Stoke team, along with the players Villa had at their disposal. I don't think he was doing an unacceptable job. WBA were dead and buried before he took over and whilst I don't think they would have been promoted with Moore in charge, they would've definitely finished the season much better. I've heard the WBA team was too good to stay down, but there isn't many players in that squad that deserve to be playing Premier League football week-in, week-out. They have a squad filled with established players on big money that they are unlikely to get ever again. 

As I said: he wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm not knocking his achievements. He's done a respectable job and I think the job he had at WBA was certainly difficult to turn around. He's easy to support and back - he's a great guy. I just think that we shouldn't be looking to reinvent the wheel. Hughton proved at Brighton he can take a team with a similar budget and team into the Premier League and keep them there. Moore has shown promise, at the moment it's all it is. It's important to note that we, reportedly, pay Lampard more in his first job than Hughton ever earned at Brighton. It shows that his wages shouldn't be an issue. 

He insisted on playing Dwight Gayle on the wing. That’s all you need to understand about Big Dave

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Contract runs out on Sunday (30th). One-year extension offered. No real indication of talks let alone likelihood of signing it. Ashley is hoping to sell (as ever) and doesn't want to jeopardize that by offering a big long contract to Rafa should new owners want their own man. Of course Rafa is rumoured to have offers. If I were Abramovich I'd think his managerial CV looks a tad more impressive than Lampard's.

Benitez has been to chelsea and done a job there. He was never very popular but probably won a grudging respect. His most notable decision was to play Luiz in midfield.

unfortunately for us, frank is the right man at the right time for chelsea. He has a reputation now for working with and promoting young players. Thats exactly what chelsea need, and he will bring his bright shiny new bounce to stamford bridge. Although the average duration of a chelsea manager since mourinho (first time) is 62 games, it is probably less of a gamble going there, than it was joining Derby where the average duration of a manager - since nigel clough - is 43 games. I think frank will get the two seasons he has been supposedly promised - and more. He will get to compete for silverware and play in Europe. He will manage a club which is awash with money. We can't compete with any of that. And London is his home where all his family are and where his wife will want to be. 

Its a bugger, but this was only ever going to be an appointment with a limited duration. 

Wow 277 pages and still going!!

been in Thailand since Saturday and nothing has changed and no leaks in the papers or ITK’s so we are still where we were 

just to give people and indication of how Chelsea fans see it ...

5 Chelsea fans arrived at my hotel yesterday and speaking to them at the bar was quite significant and they say indicative of how most Chelsea fans see it 

They said they want Frank to go home and even if he’d finished mid table with us or had a poor season they’d want him back ...they said no one ...only Frank would be acceptable in there eyes and they expect it to happen as do most Chelsea fans....they obviously aren’t ITK but I walked away thinking ....the expectancy and excitement of our Frank being there manager was quite shocking and he’s not even gone yet ....I remember fan power appointing a few managers in the past whether suitable or not ....Keegan with England springs to mind ....

ps my shout of 226 pages has been blown away ...might even be 326 ....COYR

10 minutes ago, Saity said:

Wow 277 pages and still going!!

been in Thailand since Saturday and nothing has changed and no leaks in the papers or ITK’s so we are still where we were 

just to give people and indication of how Chelsea fans see it ...

5 Chelsea fans arrived at my hotel yesterday and speaking to them at the bar was quite significant and they say indicative of how most Chelsea fans see it 

They said they want Frank to go home and even if he’d finished mid table with us or had a poor season they’d want him back ...they said no one ...only Frank would be acceptable in there eyes and they expect it to happen as do most Chelsea fans....they obviously aren’t ITK but I walked away thinking ....the expectancy and excitement of our Frank being there manager was quite shocking and he’s not even gone yet ....I remember fan power appointing a few managers in the past whether suitable or not ....Keegan with England springs to mind ....

ps my shout of 226 pages has been blown away ...might even be 326 ....COYR

My theory throughout is that there is one person in Chelsea trying to force it to happen using fan power. I certainly get the feeling it’s ‘job for the boys’ at the minute there plus a feeling of nostalgia that rarely actually works 

8 hours ago, eddie said:

All Mel said was that no approach has been made from Chelsea to speak to Lampard.

Sometimes, I think that there are just four posters on here who aren't total head-the-balls.

At other times, I'm not so sure about the other three.

Why the need to say anything - a big prepared piece for the press. The comment was in reply to another poster saying too much was being made of nothing in relation to Lampard & Chelsea. Thanks for another snotty reply though.

38 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Benitez has been to chelsea and done a job there. He was never very popular but probably won a grudging respect. His most notable decision was to play Luiz in midfield.

unfortunately for us, frank is the right man at the right time for chelsea. He has a reputation now for working with and promoting young players. Thats exactly what chelsea need, and he will bring his bright shiny new bounce to stamford bridge. Although the average duration of a chelsea manager since mourinho (first time) is 62 games, it is probably less of a gamble going there, than it was joining Derby where the average duration of a manager - since nigel clough - is 43 games. I think frank will get the two seasons he has been supposedly promised - and more. He will get to compete for silverware and play in Europe. He will manage a club which is awash with money. We can't compete with any of that. And London is his home where all his family are and where his wife will want to be. 

Its a bugger, but this was only ever going to be an appointment with a limited duration. 

A reputation for doing this after one season in management? 

Who does he have this reputation with?

Think if you asked non Derby fans what FL has done in his time here they would probably say something about the bounce. 

I know he made Bogle a regular but other than that we only saw minutes from other youngsters which I would suggest is little different from most clubs.

Darren Moore can't really be seen as a candidate surely? Great centre back, lovely bloke, but if we get someone like him it'll be straight out of he Nigel Clough handbook, an appointment that the fans will buy into due to the name alone.

When someone like Hughton or Karanka are available, regardless of their football, both know how to get promoted out of this division, Moore would be a bizarre appointment.

11 minutes ago, ramit said:

To appease the fans requesting information from the club on the situation?

Or to let Chelsea know we're not just going to wait? We also tried to continue contract negotiations - how have they gone? £10m over four years is the media gossip, will we never learn...

1 minute ago, BathRam72 said:

The footings have gone in for a new school near to my estate. If that helps

I understand from my sources that building works starting may be delayed until the new school year though. Also hearing that bricks are expected to be ordered by the end of next week but are dependent on Buildbase getting another order in.

Archived