Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

2 minutes ago, ramit said:

Our tomatoes, cucumbers, paprika and many other vegetables are grown in geothermal heated greenhouses and are the best i've tasted.  The orange paprika is a favorite in this house, so sweet, we eat it for snacks.

Are you going to show us your cucumber?

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant knock MM offering commitment and a great enhanced deal for FL to stay - what more can he do. And the chairman has come out. - saying that we all want him to stay. Well done MM.

He was going to manage Chelsea sometime in the future anyway (he's a Londoner, lives in Surrey and spent 13 years with them) - but we didn't expect that the interest would appear so early. - probably 2 seasons too early. Can't help to think that the Chelsea pending transfer embargo has compounded the issue - for a bit of future planning for Chelsea

My view is (on why they have not approached DCFC) - is that they have another lead candidate and want a tilt at the Champs League - ie Rafa or someone else - and they are playing this out until the end of the month.

FL possibly second choice - and thats why we appear to be in lock jam on where we are.

It be great if FL realised what was going on - and accepted the enhanced offer and honoured his contract - instead of playing super sub behind the lead candidate. Then we can get on with our pre-season.

We want to come 1st or 2nd in the Championship next season.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

"In chelsea gear" implies full training kit or something.

He was wearing a Chelsea hat. I bet he has a few.

He's got two I think and so has Frank. I've heard a few people say that they are a right pair of Chelsea  two hats if they leave us after one season. 

Yep exactly right Micheal Johnson, should always be respect in football. Should be a given but it does sorta strike me like Chelsea feel they can piss about and get Lampard whenever they want like we don’t matter. Which, you could probably argue some truth in, but it shouldn’t be the way football clubs go about their business. Still no approach, they need to stop messing us around and get on with it- we need to know where we stand so we’re all prepared for pre season in only just over a weeks time!

I could be wrong but my take on it is if Chelsea make a formal approach and he decides to stay he will alienate most of the Chelsea fans. Or might not be number one choice. Chelsea will only make an approach when they know for sure Frank will say yes to them. He’s currently away on his jollies and been given time to mull over what he wants to do.

on the Derby end Mel has covered his back with the new contract offer so if he does go the fans won’t get on his back knowing we did everything we could to keep him.

i think Frank is torn but one way or the other we will know by midweek

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Yep exactly right Micheal Johnson, should always be respect in football. Should be a given but it does sorta strike me like Chelsea feel they can piss about and get Lampard whenever they want like we don’t matter. Which, you could probably argue some truth in, but it shouldn’t be the way football clubs go about their business. Still no approach, they need to stop messing us around and get on with it- we need to know where we stand so we’re all prepared for pre season in only just over a weeks time!

Frank's under contract, we all appreciate how Frank may wish to go back to Chelsea. But it should not be at the expense of our club.. Surely Mel should come out and just say that unless Chelsea make a move with immediate effect it will not be possible for us to contemplate or consider any interest in releasing Frank until further notice. We should be controlling the situation and Frank although may be disappointed in the move not happening can appreciate how much he is wanted by us, and it was Chelseas undoing that prevented his move at this time.

9 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Frank's under contract, we all appreciate how Frank may wish to go back to Chelsea. But it should not be at the expense of our club.. Surely Mel should come out and just say that unless Chelsea make a move with immediate effect it will not be possible for us to contemplate or consider any interest in releasing Frank until further notice. We should be controlling the situation and Frank although may be disappointed in the move not happening can appreciate how much he is wanted by us, and it was Chelseas undoing that prevented his move at this time.

I’m not sure how this would work in practice.  With a player you can hold them to their contract because the club holds their registration and can stop them playing elsewhere.  With a manager, I assume Frank could just resign.  I’m sure there will be things in his contract which include penalty clauses if he did this (or things about not being able to move elsewhere for a certain period - because otherwise why is anybody even thinking about compensation), but it would just get awfully messy and you’d end up with a very unhappy manager and staff and all the goodwill built up over last season will disappear overnight.  Add into this that the fans and players would know he didn’t want to be here, then we’d probably be worse off both on and off the pitch just letting him go.

I agree it’s frustrating, but hopefully he’ll be back at work on Monday and more info will come out.  Better it sorted sooner than later though.

Archived