Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

9 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I don’t know what you actually want from him? Do you expect him not to want the Chelsea job? If you expect him not to want it then I’m sorry to break it to you but you’re blinded by your love for Derby.

Surely you accept that it’s tempting at the very least. In which case, you’d want him to chase it, burning his bridges with Derby in the process, rather than wait to see if they actually want him? 

Yep have the balls to burn your bridges ,it’s called honesty 

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

So Nuwt, imagine in this world Frank's either already agreed in principle an extension with us or agreed in principle a deal with Chelsea, and then Christine put that video up. Which one is it?!

I don't think you even need to be a psychologist to figure out which Frank would choose if the options are Stay at Derby or Go to Chelsea.

If they make an offer, he's off. 

2 minutes ago, JfR said:

We'll wait until the next one. If it's Elvis Costello in the background, we know he's staying.

On the contrary, if they’re blaring out Englebert Humperdinck then it’s game over

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

I don't think you even need to be a psychologist to figure out which Frank would choose if the options are Stay at Derby or Go to Chelsea.

If they make an offer, he's off. 

no no - I'm not saying he was offered both. I'm saying he's done one, and in this world, as you say, if he's agreed an extension with us he was only ever offered an extension with us.

Ruining my hypotheticals dammnit. 

Just now, SaintRam said:

no no - I'm not saying he was offered both. I'm saying he's done one, and in this world, as you say, if he's agreed an extension with us he was only ever offered an extension with us.

I mean...I guess he...well he would...I reckon...err...

This is how I feel reading this thread right now.

crazy stanley kubrick GIF

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

I mean...I guess he...well he would...I reckon...err...

This is how I feel reading this thread right now.

crazy stanley kubrick GIF

Alright I'll leave you be, wires have become crossed.

Twas never a psychology question about Frank, it was about his wife. A real symbol of the devolution of this discussion ? 

Let's get back to fridges.

20 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Now lets play psychologists.

Is it more likely she'd do that if he was staying, or if he was about to leave? I think the former, but I guess she could be a sadist.

Or the music choice is purely coincidental which seems unlikely, but is often the case ? 

From the embarrassed laughter/slight cringing I can imagine some of the fans behind him stuck it on the jukebox.  Considering they were happy go lucky type of chaps they can't be Derby fans...

20 minutes ago, Archied said:

Let's imagine this is the situation, as it could well be:

Lampard is Chelsea's top choice, but they're yet to make a decision as they're weighing up other, more experienced options as they're still concerned at his obvious lack of experience. Therefore they've made no formal approach to Derby County or Frank Lampard.

Derby have received no approach from Chelsea, but are aware of their interest. They want to keep Lampard at the club, but wouldn't stand in his way if Chelsea did make an approach.

Lampard is aware of Chelsea's interest, and would jump at the opportunity if offered, but has yet to hear anything concrete so is waiting for Chelsea to make a move, whether it's for him or someone else.

If this was the case, and you were in Lampard's position, what statement would you make to the press?

Rules are, your statement can't be ambiguous and non-committal.

3 minutes ago, JohnHarkes said:

Lampard is Chelsea's top choice, but they're yet to make a decision as they're weighing up other, more experienced options because they're still concerned at his obvious lack of experience. Therefore they've made no formal approach to Derby County or Frank Lampard.

Derby have received no approach from Chelsea, but aware of their interest. They want to keep Lampard at the club, but wouldn't stand in his way if Chelsea did make an approach.

Lampard is aware of Chelsea's interest, and would jump at the opportunity if offered, but has yet to hear anything concrete so is waiting for Chelsea to make a move, whether it's for him or someone else.

If this was the case, and you were in Lampard's position, what statement would you make to the press?

29 minutes ago, Archied said:

Mate I’m Derby county and don’t give a stuff about Chelsea or lampard s wet dream job , I’ve watched while all and sundry ramped up lampard for Chelsea job including very tellingly those very close to frank whilst not a murmer  from lampard , mel has put out the best he can put out to media ,lampard is 5 mins into our job and if he has the integrity his pr wants to portray then he should be nipping this in the bud now or have the balls to say he is off if offered rather than have his family doing it , 

and before I get accused of being some entitled foot stomper or told that’s not how football works ,, I don’t give a stuff , if your trading on integrity then live by it don’t skulk about 

25 minutes ago, Archied said:

But what if he's had no contact with Chelsea? If he wants it but hasn't heard anything from them, what's he supposed to do? I'm sure whoever we appoint would take a job at a Premier League club but you wouldn't expect them to come out and state their interest unless actually offered the job.

And if they have offered him the job then there's no need for a statement anyway. He'll either be off in a couple of days or his statement will come from a contract extension. I'm sure this hand-wringing is only occurring because of the 24/7 media speculation that is so prominent in today's society. There's no need to give updates because these things take time, but they're made to feel so much longer because of the constant media pressure.

1 minute ago, JohnHarkes said:

Lampard is Chelsea's top choice, but they're yet to make a decision as they're weighing up other, more experienced options because they're still concerned at his obvious lack of experience. Therefore they've made no formal approach to Derby County or Frank Lampard.

Derby have received no approach from Chelsea, but aware of their interest. They want to keep Lampard at the club, but wouldn't stand in his way if Chelsea did make an approach.

Right , I’m young ,in my first role as a manager ,I have universal pull for my time as a player ,I have all the money I need to never work again if I choose , I’m at a club that took me on with no experience , fans that have bought into me , players that have bought into me , that club are at a vital time in pre season that the uncertainty dragging on can do real damage ,

what is my statement ? I poo or get off the pot ,I make a decision and make it clear that I’m either going to honour my contract or I’m taking the Chelsea job if offered and if Derby need to move on with their preparations for the season then I’m happy to resign and wish them the best and thank them and fans for my time at the club ,

football don’t work that way? So what ,I reserve the right to respect or not respect people by their actions

32 minutes ago, Archied said:

I think you will find that taking a leap like that is called 'stupidity', but don't worry. We're used to stupidity in the UK by now - we've had three years of it.

Just now, eddie said:

I think you will find that taking a leap like that is called 'stupidity', but don't worry. We're used to stupidity in the UK by now - we've had three years of it.

Yea let’s not be stupid , far better to skulk about and cover your arse saying bugger all and being nailed down to anything ,we’ve had 3 years of that too but hey ho you like what you like

9 minutes ago, Archied said:

Right , I’m young ,in my first role as a manager ,I have universal pull for my time as a player ,I have all the money I need to never work again if I choose , I’m at a club that took me on with no experience , fans that have bought into me , players that have bought into me , that club are at a vital time in pre season that the uncertainty dragging on can do real damage ,

what is my statement ? I poo or get off the pot ,I make a decision and make it clear that I’m either going to honour my contract or I’m taking the Chelsea job if offered and if Derby need to move on with their preparations for the season then I’m happy to resign and wish them the best and thank them and fans for my time at the club ,

football don’t work that way? So what ,I reserve the right to respect or not respect people by their actions

That's fair enough.

My concern with that approach would be this: Lampard will almost definitely take the job IF offered, and who can blame him? As fans we can surely understand the attachment one has to a club. So, if that's the situation is he should resign immediately? Cool.

So now Lampard's resigned, we can go ahead and look for a new manager... and we've gone and hired Monk. I'm neither gutted, nor am I thrilled, I'm filled with beige, beige emotions. However, it then turns out that the reason Chelsea were delaying all along is they were readying an approach for another manager, but the tabloids took their eye off this one because of the obvious Lampard links. Now he's without a job and we're stuck with Monk. 

If only he waited to see what the outcome was, then we could have all been happy.

20 minutes ago, Archied said:

Which results in the club not receiving the £4m compensation?

Archived