Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never going to happen. How many novices have Chelsea appointed under Roman?

One, who was already at the club and did what Terry told her to.

Sarri-ball takes time, so he's at the wrong club, but they'll lose nothing by keeping him until the end of the season, when it may be showing improvement anyway.

Chelsea have an established way, hire an experienced manager, back him with signings, compete and win, 2 years later it starts to turn sour, sack and repeat.

It works for them, which makes the hiring of Sarri look strange, experienced in everything but winning, but maybe they've decided to go down the stability route, so he should be safe enough for now.

If not, it'll be a big beast they'll bring in, not a rookie.

In the meantime, we'll get enough time to make Frank properly fall in love with us, as happens to most who pass through this parish, the kids will settle in at Repton, Christine will be enthralled by the scenery and dog walking opportunities, and Frank will discover there's no Bird's in London, so will go on until we've named a stand after him.

2 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

With Chelsea thumped again you would have to think the pressure is intensifying on Sarri.

Should he lose his job will the Chelsea Board be considering Frank as his replacement? Surely too soon for Frank but then again look how well Solksjaer is doing at Utd, admitting he is less of a rookie.

I hope Uncle Mel has negotiated a decent release fee for Frank....

Do you think, after all the good things FL has said about his relationship with DCFC, he would just jump at the click of fingers at Stamford Bridge? I personally think he is a man of integrity. 

43 minutes ago, Vulcanboy said:

There is no patience in the game anymore, Abramovich will not wait for Frank to finish his 'apprenticeship'  and would Frank pass up the chance of a lifetime?  I can regretfully see this happening ?

26 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Oh come on. Hardly like the Chelsea job becoming available is a once in a lifetime opportunity. 

Exactly.  Frank is 40, not mid-fifties. 

Plenty of time, and plenty of opportunities to come... when Frank has satisfied himself (and the Chelsea owner, whoever that may be at the time) that he has what it takes to give a good showing for his dream job!

4 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Anything is possible in football so don't be too hasty to rule it out. Personally I doubt it will happen but it will one day. Such is my man crush on him, that day will be a sad day. It will rate up there with the day we sold Mark Wright and Dean Saunders to Liverpool. I'm not ashamed to say I shed a tear or two that day.

Indeed a desperate day for the Rams.

"How was Roman's relationship with Frank?" may be one factor. "How involved is Roman at the moment given his visa issues?" is another. There are three teams fighting for one Champions League place and Chelsea are bottom of that group. In some ways it's a no lose situation for Frank in that if he gets that place he's an instant hero - if not, he's building for next year.

How is the family settling in Derbyshire, having left their London life behind to some extent? It clearly could happen. How is Frank's relationship with Mel? Was Mel honest about the spending before Frank took the job?

Hopefully Frank will stay for three or four years and have Derby challenging for the Champions League places, but it is like us to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

12 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

Well if Chelsea are keen lets hope they get on with it so we can get Rowett back whilst he is still available!

To be fair, with someone of Rowett's pedigree available, that's where Chelsea should be looking. ?

In seriousness, I highly doubt Chelsea are looking at Lamps. Chelsea fans will just be placing optimistic bets.

Zidane managed Real Madrid's reserves before being given the top job.

I would say managing Derby in the championship is a far harder job than that. 

He went on to do fine at Madrid.

Any decent manager can do well at Chelsea given their wealth, its just about whether the players buy into it. Lampard is a big enough name at Chelsea to be able to get the players to buy into his philosophy. Our players are trying to but are not quite good enough in some areas. Chelsea are much better everywhere on the park and Frank is good enough to exploit that.

My question is; Why will Chelsea not approach him?

And if they do he will go.

Doubt he would go. Lampard isn't an idiot, at the minute Chelsea is a bit of a poisoned chalice. Their squad has a history of staging mutinies and they're in a really tough spot to make it into the top 4 now. If he rushed into that now and failed it would be a black mark against his managerial record when he's not ready yet.

Just now, Full Screw said:

Abramavich will look at Frank and see he's doing a decent job on a tight budget and think he can do a much better job on an unlimited budget. 

The only reason he would even look at Frank is because of the Chelsea connection. Frank's done a decent job, but it's not been scintillating and he has had been backed fairly, there are many other clubs in this division with tighter budgets than we have. Abramovich will want Chelsea to finish in the top 4, which means budget is completely irrelevant it's just about motivating players, it's far more likely he'll turn to someone like Gus Hiddink to manage them until the end of the season and then look long term after that.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Doubt he would go. Lampard isn't an idiot, at the minute Chelsea is a bit of a poisoned chalice. Their squad has a history of staging mutinies and they're in a really tough spot to make it into the top 4 now. If he rushed into that now and failed it would be a black mark against his managerial record when he's not ready yet.

Of course that is the obvious risk he'll take and it may backfire but it may not. Frank has ambition and when was the last time an English manager managed a top 6 club? I think Frank cannot afford to miss out if it comes his way.

Archived