Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Felt it was heartening listening to the world football phone-in on Five Live just now. First topic straight off was Sarri to Juve and Lampard to Chelsea. The two pundits both said it was the wrong time for Lampard to go and he should stay well away, confident the chance will come again in the future. 

I think that's the case. I also think the biggest considerations for Frank will be family ones. Do they enjoy being out of London some of the time? Or would they prefer to move vack? Will he and Christine have more time together with their baby daughter at Derby or Chelsea? 

And Frank will know he owes a debt to Mel and to Derby. He's humble and honorable. If he goes he'll make sure Chelsea also pay compensation for the backroom team (which hasn't always happened). But I think he'll be driven to see out his contract, take us up next year and then keep us in the Premier League. Then he can leave (if he wants) with his head held high. 

Totally agree with this Carl.

Just now, Boycie said:

This!

The team sheet at Wembley seems to have been forgotten ?

The team sheet at Wembley is exactly the reason he needs to stay for a couple more years. Chelsea fans will be a lot more critical than us Rams fans if he set them up wrong in a final. 

We had a great end to the season but there were some dross last year. Rotherham away, Bolton away and Millwall at home are a few examples 

Sith Happens
8 hours ago, i-Ram said:

It reads like its done, but I just dont buy it, not saying he wont talk to them or even go, but Derby and Chelsea have both made it clear no approach has been made so talks surely cant have held place. If they have without Derbys agreement it just spells more trouble for a club facing a transfer ban.

Just dont see it.

Chelsea swap the manager roughly every 2-3 years anyway, loads of time for Frank.

The only real reason some are saying go now or you may never get another chance is because he’s got us to Wembley, and might crash and burn next year and ultimately fail.

Can’t see any other reason when the job wouldn’t be there in the future for him.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Just to say this was only ever a very small minority of the more hysterical posters.

Agreed.  Maybe 20%?.... But just saying a sizeable minority were happy for him to be sacked and another maybe 30% had reservations about substitutions, playing style etc. So the decent end to the season is colouring sentiment a little. (Again I hope he stays personally).

Just saying if we get a good replacement, cash to spend and some great loanees...it might not be a disaster.

We can probably see now, if Frank stays and gets us up it's inevitable that he will just go to Chelsea, so any longer term plan of doing a proper apprenticeship for 3/4 years is a pipe dream. It's all about next season and trying again...so let's just crack on and let him go if that's the way it is and get the right man in asap. 

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Boycie said:

Chelsea swap the manager roughly every 2-3 years anyway, loads of time for Frank.

The only real reason some are saying go now or you may never get another chance is because he’s got us to Wembley, and might crash and burn next year and ultimately fail.

Can’t see any other reason when the job wouldn’t be there in the future for him.

Agree, if he continues to improve at Derby it will be there for him in a couple of years time im sure.

I am sure if they offer the Job and he declines hes an intelligent man and will issue a statement thats respectful of both clubs.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Agreed.  Maybe 20%?.... But just saying a sizeable minority were happy for him to be sacked and another maybe 30% had reservations about substitutions, playing style etc. So the decent end to the season is colouring sentiment a little. (Again I hope he stays personally).

Just saying if we get a good replacement, cash to spend and some great loanees...it might not be a disaster.

We can probably see now, if Frank stays and gets us up it's inevitable that he will just go to Chelsea, so any longer term plan of doing a proper apprenticeship for 3/4 years is a pipe dream. It's all about next season and trying again...so let's just crack on and let him go if that's the way it is and get the right man in asap. 

I don't think you will ever not have some people calling for the manager to go. Doesn't matter how well you are doing.

I reckon if he got us promoted, we were sitting nicely in say 11th in first season then lost a couple of 'easy' home games then the kneejerkers would be out in force calling for him to go.

I bet if this forum was about in 1995/96 there would have been lots of people calling for Jim Smith to go, certainly around October time.

Sith Happens
14 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

The team sheet at Wembley is exactly the reason he needs to stay for a couple more years. Chelsea fans will be a lot more critical than us Rams fans if he set them up wrong in a final. 

We had a great end to the season but there were some dross last year. Rotherham away, Bolton away and Millwall at home are a few examples 

Dont we always seem to lose to Millwall at home? Just seem to recall so many occasions they hold out and come away with a 1-0 win. That one a few seasons back when they got a life threatening injury every 5 minutes....so painfull. Im sure we even lost at home to them in George Burleys play off season.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Felt it was heartening listening to the world football phone-in on Five Live just now. First topic straight off was Sarri to Juve and Lampard to Chelsea. The two pundits both said it was the wrong time for Lampard to go and he should stay well away, confident the chance will come again in the future. 

I think that's the case. I also think the biggest considerations for Frank will be family ones. Do they enjoy being out of London some of the time? Or would they prefer to move vack? Will he and Christine have more time together with their baby daughter at Derby or Chelsea? 

And Frank will know he owes a debt to Mel and to Derby. He's humble and honorable. If he goes he'll make sure Chelsea also pay compensation for the backroom team (which hasn't always happened). But I think he'll be driven to see out his contract, take us up next year and then keep us in the Premier League. Then he can leave (if he wants) with his head held high. 

Couldn’t agree more, 100% matches my opinion ??????

The Chelsea job is an extremely well paid, short term venture as recent history has proved. This opportunity will arise soon enough for Frank. 

Now just isn’t the time for FL

18 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

It reads like its done, but I just dont buy it, not saying he wont talk to them or even go, but Derby and Chelsea have both made it clear no approach has been made so talks surely cant have held place. If they have without Derbys agreement it just spells more trouble for a club facing a transfer ban.

Just dont see it.

"The Sun" and "don't buy it" are a group of words that go together well. Why would you?

Sith Happens
18 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

"The Sun" and "don't buy it" are a group of words that go together well. Why would you?

Well it's known for its massive tits.

Today being Saturday means jeremy clarkson is today's massive tit of choice.

But no i do read online for my daily dose of garbage.

39 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Chelsea swap the manager roughly every 2-3 years

anyway, loads of time for Frank.

No, less than that. A few have but 3 or 4 in recent times have lasted less than a year.....Lampard is one of the brighter footballers. He will know he is not quite ready. He will be much more prepared for a job of that size in 2 years time. Having said that, as a Rams fan I think if he does go there are some decent Mangers out there currently who could replace him and do a very good job...step forward Chris Hughton…..

He knows that if he stays here and doesn’t do the business, then he’ll never get another chance of managing Chelsea. 

On the other hand if he goes to Chelsea and fails, he’d be another yesterdays man TV pundit. 

Its not an easy decision for him to make by any means but I think his heart will rule and that he will go. 

6 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

He knows that if he stays here and doesn’t do the business, then he’ll never get another chance of managing Chelsea. 

On the other hand if he goes to Chelsea and fails, he’d be another yesterdays man TV pundit. 

Its not an easy decision for him to make by any means but I think his heart will rule and that he will go. 

Its a dead easy decision. Won't have taken more than a millisecond.

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Strange really Lampard and Rowett both finished 6th with lampard having a few high profile cup games in all reality yet Chelsea are purring over signing Lampard - it’s a bit like the London media frenzy says who is to be their headlines which always used to be the case with England until Southgate said no and picked players he thought could do the job.

Seriously? Rowett has the IQ of a snake. Lampard is a smart man. All this he's too young stuff is nonsense, he's 40 and surely with his football/media background, worldly-wise. Southgate is a good example, what had he achieved prior to/in the England job?

13 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

With the players and clout Chelsea have it'd be interesting to see what is classed as failure...

There will still be loads of clubs begging him to take their manager job if he failed at Chelsea.

57 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

The Chelsea job is an extremely well paid, short term venture as recent history has proved. This opportunity will arise soon enough for Frank. 

Now just isn’t the time for FL

If the Chelsea job is a 'short term venture' anyway what does it matter when you go there?! So he goes now and has a tough time, who would the fans/media blame? The owner and the transfer ban is who.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If the Chelsea job is a 'short term venture' anyway what does it matter when you go there?! So he goes now and has a tough time, who would the fans/media blame? The owner and the transfer ban is who.

You’re missing my point, another year or so under his belt here. Transfer ban served by Chelsea and the next custodian of the Chelsea hot seat booted out after finishing in a Champions league place, surely then and only then it would be a better option for Frank ??‍♂️

Archived