Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

14 hours ago, McLovin said:

Of course it’s not as cut and dry as this, but he left his boyhood club and a club his dad was a legend at to join one of their main rivals, then whilst at that new club(becoming a legend in the process) flirted with other big clubs like Barcelona saying it would be a dream to join them before eventually leaving that club to join their premier league title rivals. This isn’t necessarily a criticism of Lampard , but there isn’t really anything to suggest that loyalty is one of his key traites so I’m surprised some were naive to buy into that notion.

Twisting some facts there to make your point a bit.

He was slaughtered by West Ham fans and directors alike because of the nepotism accusations. 

Chelsea let him go, he joined New York who loaned him to another member of The City Group to keep fit.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing how much speculation there is considering there seems to be no evidence Lampard has even talked to Chelsea as of yet. In my opinion it'd be a massive error of judgement for a two big reasons: 

1) He's not ready. We had a good season yes, mind blowing no and i still think his decisions cost us the play off final. He only put Marriott on because of an injury to holmes and before that we looked utterly toothless. Our away form from the turn of the new year was pretty shocking and we scraped into the playoffs. The football at times was good at many other times it did remind me of rowett hoofball. 

2) Chelsea are a mess. You take into consideration the transfer ban, a crop of players who haven't exactly done brilliantly this year and Hazard leaving, a fan base and owner which are well known for being demanding and throwing coaches overboard who doesn't meet their newly inflated expectations and  suddenly Chelsea doesn't seem that tempting a prospect. It might not be the wrong time for lampard but certainly the wrong time to join chelsea. The almost inevitable result is Lampard does alright (well with what he has) but after 2 seasons of the transfer ban they toss him overboard and promise a massive spend on a big new name with his managerial career being back at square 1. 

I wouldn't be massively surprised now if he did go and i wouldn't be devastated or massively disappointed if he did go. I think it'd be a massive mistake for both him and chelsea which would damage both parties. I hope he stays and finishes the job he began, has a couple of seasons with us in the Premier League and takes the big job when he's in a much stronger position to do it right. 

31 minutes ago, old ram 15 said:

It's amazing how much speculation there is considering there seems to be no evidence Lampard has even talked to Chelsea as of yet. In my opinion it'd be a massive error of judgement for a two big reasons: 

1) He's not ready. We had a good season yes, mind blowing no and i still think his decisions cost us the play off final. He only put Marriott on because of an injury to holmes and before that we looked utterly toothless. Our away form from the turn of the new year was pretty shocking and we scraped into the playoffs. The football at times was good at many other times it did remind me of rowett hoofball. 

2) Chelsea are a mess. You take into consideration the transfer ban, a crop of players who haven't exactly done brilliantly this year and Hazard leaving, a fan base and owner which are well known for being demanding and throwing coaches overboard who doesn't meet their newly inflated expectations and  suddenly Chelsea doesn't seem that tempting a prospect. It might not be the wrong time for lampard but certainly the wrong time to join chelsea. The almost inevitable result is Lampard does alright (well with what he has) but after 2 seasons of the transfer ban they toss him overboard and promise a massive spend on a big new name with his managerial career being back at square 1. 

I wouldn't be massively surprised now if he did go and i wouldn't be devastated or massively disappointed if he did go. I think it'd be a massive mistake for both him and chelsea which would damage both parties. I hope he stays and finishes the job he began, has a couple of seasons with us in the Premier League and takes the big job when he's in a much stronger position to do it right. 

Felt it was heartening listening to the world football phone-in on Five Live just now. First topic straight off was Sarri to Juve and Lampard to Chelsea. The two pundits both said it was the wrong time for Lampard to go and he should stay well away, confident the chance will come again in the future. 

I think that's the case. I also think the biggest considerations for Frank will be family ones. Do they enjoy being out of London some of the time? Or would they prefer to move vack? Will he and Christine have more time together with their baby daughter at Derby or Chelsea? 

And Frank will know he owes a debt to Mel and to Derby. He's humble and honorable. If he goes he'll make sure Chelsea also pay compensation for the backroom team (which hasn't always happened). But I think he'll be driven to see out his contract, take us up next year and then keep us in the Premier League. Then he can leave (if he wants) with his head held high. 

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Felt it was heartening listening to the world football phone-in on Five Live just now. First topic straight off was Sarri to Juve and Lampard to Chelsea. The two pundits both said it was the wrong time for Lampard to go and he should stay well away, confident the chance will come again in the future. 

I think that's the case. I also think the biggest considerations for Frank will be family ones. Do they enjoy being out of London some of the time? Or would they prefer to move vack? Will he and Christine have more time together with their baby daughter at Derby or Chelsea? 

And Frank will know he owes a debt to Mel and to Derby. He's humble and honorable. If he goes he'll make sure Chelsea also pay compensation for the backroom team (which hasn't always happened). But I think he'll be driven to see out his contract, take us up next year and then keep us in the Premier League. Then he can leave (if he wants) with his head held high. 

Yeah I hope so too. Also if he really has to go for football And non football related issues, we will have a friend at a top 6 premier league club, which cannot be a bad thing in rhe loan market 

1 minute ago, Ruda Harliss said:

we will have a friend at a top 6 premier league club, which cannot be a bad thing in rhe loan market 

Not sure I can agree with that, not sure Frank really cares that much about us, we're a means to an end, I don't think he holds any affection for us, we're building up for him to take a job at Chelsea and that's it. I don't want pity loans from him.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Not sure I can agree with that, not sure Frank really cares that much about us, we're a means to an end, I don't think he holds any affection for us, we're building up for him to take a job at Chelsea and that's it. I don't want pity loans from him.

Just trying to stay positive.  Not sure what else we can do .

It makes me smile when I read he's not a good enough manager yet to take the Chelsea job, so should stay at Derby and learn his trade some more.

Is that our place now, a finishing school for the big boys?

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

It makes me smile when I read he's not a good enough manager yet to take the Chelsea job, so should stay at Derby and learn his trade some more.

No issue with what you say but for me the wording would be ‘the rich boys’ because Chelsea have never been or ever will be one of the ‘big boys’

5 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Sadly it is until we can get ourselves back up the food chain ,

when all said and done though it’s been a good year where we have brought in much needed money ,raised the clubs profile and brought through a couple of youngsters one of which is being touted as a future star and could go for decent money ,, mel Morris has done a good job this last 12 months ( personally I think he’s done a decent job as owner so far from the start) 

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

That appears to be absolute balls. Where on earth have they got that information from? I'd love to know how they can justify that bit of garbage

Every Chelsea player will have their future mapped out. They'll be loaned out when and where it suits them because they're human beings and not a block of statistics on football manager. 

I can really see it. 

Jorge? Jorge! Yeah, basically you're going to Derby. Anyone seen Phillipe? Ah! There you are, you can go too. Now is there anyone else that wants to go live in Derby for 10 months? Hands up or I'll pick you out at random. Word has come down from the big man and he's making a deal with the northerners. 

I mean ffs. How are the media allowed to report any old poo as news. 

What a complete lie. Absolutely call the knob who wrote that out. Total rubbish. 

Any players made available to Derby will be players that Chelsea would consider loaning out anyway. And it will be a conversation between the player, agent, parents and club on what the next move will be. 

They aren't fooking hedge trimmers. Let us have Lampard and you can borrow one of these humans for a bit. 

balls. Utter balls

I agree its just made-up speculation, totally. 

But totally disagree on the actual sentiment. Harry Kane went on loan to all sorts of clubs, you seriously suggesting each one was his dream club? He just went where he was told! 

Chelsea have ridiculous reserves of young players desperate to prove themselves. If Frank got them in his office and said 'we want you to go to Derby' the vast majority would just agree. Plus he would say it's a great club and look at Mount and Tomori how it worked for them. Plus Chelsea could offer them at vastly reduced wage levels and not ask for a fee....all possible. 

A few weeks back lots of the forum wanted Frank out (not me) and he didn't become a genius overnight. He had a good season, no more...if he is going I just want him gone so we can move on. We can see now he isn't going to stop long and create a dynasty regardless....so boils down to is he more likely to get us promoted this season or Jokanovic or Hughton with £4 million to spend and couple of Chelsea starlets in the team?? Suddenly it doesn't seem such a disaster to me!

Strange really Lampard and Rowett both finished 6th with lampard having a few high profile cup games in all reality yet Chelsea are purring over signing Lampard - it’s a bit like the London media frenzy says who is to be their headlines which always used to be the case with England until Southgate said no and picked players he thought could do the job.

5 hours ago, old ram 15 said:

Agree with every word of that mate 

I’m the same. My biggest regret by a mile If he did leave is that I just want stability 

I just want to see a manager have 2-3 who knows even 4 season building with us and see where I takes us cos in my mind that’s how u get out of this league 

yes I know there’s exceptions but i believe it’s our best chance 

The well known journos are starting to put their name to this now, Neil Ashton being the latest and they wouldn’t do that and risk being drastically wrong. This is happening and I’m positive Frank has had informal talks with Chelsea already about taking it.

Need to just get it done quickly now. We’ve got to get ready for the new season. We shouldn’t work to ducking Chelsea’s timetable!!!

48 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Agree with every word of that mate 

I’m the same. My biggest regret by a mile If he did leave is that I just want stability 

I just want to see a manager have 2-3 who knows even 4 season building with us and see where I takes us cos in my mind that’s how u get out of this league 

yes I know there’s exceptions but i believe it’s our best chance 

I also share most of the sentiments in @old ram 15's post and your comment on the need for some stability. The best appointment to achieve this would be Chris Hughton.

Really couldnt blame lampard if he did leave its a massive challenge for him in a club where hes a legend, i really hope that he stays but when ashley cole didnt sign his contract with us says to me he was already going 

5 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Being the one of the posters that didn’t believe the media ( I was one as well ) are you now resigned to it being a done deal?

I still am not sure Ruda - but Ashton and Percy are a different ilk to the great many who have been speculating in the press in recent weeks.

Still of the view Chelsea are using Frank here because of their circumstances. I am not convinced yet that Frank is anything special as a manager, but he clearly has tremendous goodwill behind him because of who he is, how he acts, what he has achieved in his footballing lifetime. 

I will be sad if he goes, as l think we are on the edge of something special with a few of our youngsters. Pretty sure Lampard and Morris would start integrating those players through next season after overseeing their development this last 12 months. Would our next manager?

Archived