Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

Just now, Whitefield said:

I want to get promoted, end of. It’s the whole point. And what style of play? Of course it’s a reset. All our best players were loans so it’s a blank canvas. 

It isn't a blank canvas is it though, we still have players suited to playing it on the ground. What good is Duane Holmes, or Jack Marriott gonna be when you're lumping it over their heads. We've already seen Rowettball, it's poo. Our fans hated it. Lampard wasn't any more successful, but I would take 100 of the last season over a Billy Davies promotion or a hoof ball side promotion. Football should be enjoyable.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

£5-10m for a manager they wanted rid of anyway? That's incredible business, actually on a par with the £2m deal we got for Gaz Rowett. Maybe manager turnover deals are the way forward!

11 minutes ago, GenBr said:

We sacked Steve (twice). We sacked Clement. We sacked Pearson and we sacked Nigel. Rowett went to Stoke, so who is the other?

I think I read somewhere that Rowett was the first of our managers to be poached by another team rather than being sacked first ( might be BS though)

McClaren effectively went to Newcastle from us after being linked with the job and not quashing the rumours. Rowett to Stoke. We seem to have a habit of this, if it happens again with Super Frank. Groundhog Day.

Just now, WestKentRam said:

McClaren effectively went to Newcastle from us after being linked with the job and not quashing the rumours. Rowett to Stoke. We seem to have a habit of this, if it happens again with Super Frank. Groundhog Day.

I knew this was going to happen yesterday. Pile on to blame the club. No. We had no control in this, if the top 6 coming calling for your manager, they go, Derby has no blame in this, it's just the way of the world.

1 minute ago, WestKentRam said:

On the other hand it also means these managers must have been doing well with us, so id rather that than nobody wanting our managers because we are doing nothing in the league. All 3 managers you mentioned were linked to Prem clubs, not a bad thing. 

Just now, Andicis said:

It isn't a blank canvas is it though, we still have players suited to playing it on the ground. What good is Duane Holmes, or Jack Marriott gonna be when you're lumping it over their heads. We've already seen Rowettball, it's poo. Our fans hated it. Lampard wasn't any more successful, but I would take 100 of the last season over a Billy Davies promotion or a hoof ball side promotion. Football should be enjoyable.

Get promoted. Worry about style later. 

The national media circus around this has annoyed me hugely and showed the state of modern day journalism and the influence of social media! There has been no fact reported until possibly now with the reports about Sarri.

Im also annoyed by fans (a minority) showing anger towards frank and saying his season here has been undermined by this media circus. It hasn’t. The memories are there, and Frank himself has not contributed to this speculation in the slightest, he’s conducted himself with class and dignity as he has throughout the season. 

The Frank Lampards Derby county thing, he actually said no one is bigger than the club in a recent interview - full credit to him for that, but like it or not he is bigger than Derby County, he’s won more for a start and more people worldwide know Frank Lampard than Derby county, that’s the nature of his celebrity status.

We all bought into him, he’s been brilliant, the connection with the club and fans he’s established is like no other Derby manager in my lifetime. He’s been great and losing him would be a sad loss. But if it does happen then best of luck to him and thanks for everything he’s  done.

If Chelsea want him then he’s got to take it (whether it’s the right decision for Chelsea is questionable) this isn’t a situation where one of my favourite ex players who came back to manage the club he had the most fondness for decided we were a stepping stone to Stoke City!! 

And don’t blame Mel either. He got this appointment bang on, if it does happen he’s got to get someone to play a similar style and build on the great work Lampard and Jody have done! That’s where we went wrong post Mac 1.

13 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Doubt Frank was cheap!

Agreed, but we had more leeway with what we spent, I don’t think that’ll be the case this time will it.....

1 minute ago, WestKentRam said:

He said he wasnt going and then we sacked him. He was a free agent after that and could go where he wanted. He wasnt poached. In our entire history weve had one so far - not exactly a habit. I would say its a sign we have been choosing some good managers recently who have been wanted by other clubs. We just need to choose someone **** again next time so nobody wants them.

Just now, Andicis said:

Except, that rarely works. How many sides go up then change their style successfully?

Few I dunno. Look it up. Hughton start the bounce.

Archived