Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

7 hours ago, WHAT DO I GET said:

No They take themselves too seriously, like most journos they are self appointed guardians of what they see as right and their hit rate for that is abysmal.

In your opinion they are. Some of the conspiracy I’ve seen on social media replying to them is hilarious.... “sky” hate us etc. I just don’t think fans like it when they get it back a bit..... we look smalltime at the minute 

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

In your opinion they are. Some of the conspiracy I’ve seen on social media replying to them is hilarious.... “sky” hate us etc. I just don’t think fans like it when they get it back a bit..... we look smalltime at the minute 

To be fair, for the kids on Twitter kicking up a fuss, we are and always have been.

6 minutes ago, cosmic said:

To be fair, for the kids on Twitter kicking up a fuss, we are and always have been.

I'm a decade post kidhood and Derby have only recently (since Mac 1) been a big-ish fish in the Championship, and that's kinda the best I've seen of us. When I was a young kid I didn't get to watch but we were battling relegation in the prem, then got relegated, and were mediocre as hell for the vast majority of our time since.

We managed to get promoted after a pretty mediocre season (although Wembley was great) and then got reminded where we belong ? 

I the grandscheme of the history of English football, we're a pretty big club, hence the oldies "sleeping giant" comments every now and then - but in the context of the last 2 decades we're a drowzy normal sized club.

Although I do agree that general fan behaviour on twitter, especially regarding Sky atm, is pretty pathetic.

5 minutes ago, cosmic said:

It ain’t just kids though. Some of the stuff I’ve seen has been jaw dropping 

8 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Journalists tend to be interesting and insightful when they're revealing stuff we like the sound of...

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Journalists tend to be interesting and insightful when they're revealing stuff we like the sound of...

Predictive journalism is a scourge in general imo. I miss the times when we were just told what had happened ? (not that I knew it for long)

But in the age of connectivity, media had to come up with some way to maintain the interaction to get their board the big money!

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Predictive journalism is a scourge in general imo. I miss the times when we were just told what had happened ? 

But in the age of connectivity, media had to come up with some way to maintain the interaction to get their board the big money!

I see what you're saying - I just think people pick and choose when journalists/papers are or aren't worth listening to.

Take Alan Nixon for example. Whenever he runs a story on us selling a player, we call him an idiot. When he runs one about us signing someone decent, he's suddenly worth listening to.

I think we need to be a little less emotionally attached to the subject of the news, at times. 

4 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Its the anonymity of the internet. People can say whatever they want because there are no consequences in real life most of the time even if they are using their real name on twitter.

Ever game Derby plays us the ref is against us or sky commentators hate us. A good proportion of fans seems to think the whole world is conspiring against them.

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

I see what you're saying - I just think people pick and choose when journalists/papers are or aren't worth listening to.

Take Alan Nixon for example. Whenever he runs a story on us selling a player, we call him an idiot. When he runs one about us signing someone decent, he's suddenly worth listening to.

I think we need to be a little less emotionally attached to the subject of the news, at times. 

I think there are some people who flipflop, but its the minority for me, mostly I feel like there's different groups of people. Some people who wrongly take it as gospel, some people who wrongly think everyone's a charlatan, and then some people who take it for the conversation starting that it is.

I try to just use such "news" as reasons to discuss the idea of it.

Personally, I've only started suggesting folk are making stuff up with this Lampard stuff cos we're getting contrary official information from Derby (and Rangers on the Gerrard stuff).

12 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I'm a decade post kidhood and Derby have only recently (since Mac 1) been a big-ish fish in the Championship, and that's kinda the best I've seen of us. When I was a young kid I didn't get to watch but we were battling relegation in the prem, then got relegated, and were mediocre as hell for the vast majority of our time since.

We managed to get promoted after a pretty mediocre season (although Wembley was great) and then got reminded where we belong ? 

I the grandscheme of the history of English football, we're a pretty big club, hence the oldies "sleeping giant" comments every now and then - but in the context of the last 2 decades we're a drowzy normal sized club.

Although I do agree that general fan behaviour on twitter, especially regarding Sky atm, is pretty pathetic.

In the grand scheme of English football, Derby and Forest have both been successful for a limited period, mostly under Clough. Neither is a big club in the same way as the major clubs in the country.

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Hmm, this is an interesting one.

Manager with a decent track record leaves job while the Chelsea job is available. He has been linked with a move to Chelsea before...

Enrique, start the bounce!

11 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

‘Football twitter’ is full of frustrated people who were never good enough to have a football career, same as ‘politics twitter’ is full of people who think they could run the country.

Since I looked at it from that point of view, it all began to make a lot more sense!

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

In the grand scheme of English football, Derby and Forest have both been successful for a limited period, mostly under Clough. Neither is a big club in the same way as the major clubs in the country.

I'm more referring to being a founding member, and being present in the top division for the vast majority of our history. 

What you're describing would be a "huge" club, or a "giant". Which we are, clearly, not.

Sounds like Luís Enrique might be stepping down for family reasons if he’s had a leave of absence, if so then the resignation makes sense and I wouldn’t imagine it being related to the Chelsea job. Be surprised to see him jump into another job.

Weird to appoint his assistant to replace him mind, again you’d expect those all to leave too, and there to be someone more qualified for the job.

2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Depends what you class tapping up. Informal conversations between interested/might be interested parties/agents go on all the time, along the lines of "if this happens, would you consider this..". Not tapping up as such, more fishing. But it gives an indication, which may or may not then find its way into the press, of a current state of affairs.

Oh aye, sorry didn’t mean to be too serious on the tapping up part! The problem is though you may have an ‘indication’ that can be read a multiple ways that then gets reported as ‘Frank’s keen’ or whatever 

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Sounds like Luís Enrique might be stepping down for family reasons if he’s had a leave of absence, if so then the resignation makes sense and I wouldn’t imagine it being related to the Chelsea job. Been a great manager Enrique but wonder whether maybe his best days are behind him now.

Weird to appoint his assistant to replace him mind, again you’d expect those all to leave too, and there to be someone more qualified for the job.

He is only 49? In manager terms that's young, could see him at a club like Bayern

12 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I'm not convinced we are a sleeping giant - look through the list of clubs outside the Premiership and you could easily argue a case for about twenty of them feeling they should be a top flight team. And that's not counting the likes of Wimbledon, Notts County, Luton, Preston, Hull, Swindon, Blackpool, Milwall or Oxford. But - off the top of my head - we're in the same place as Coventry, Stoke, Portsmouth, Swansea, Middlesborough, Sunderland, Leeds, Blackburn, QPR, West Brom, Sheff Wed, Birmingham and many more. The truth is, the Premiership is not big enough to fit all the teams who want to believe they can be there.

As for those who are old enough to remember the good times we are a little tainted from the other angle. We remember European nights, League titles, British club record fees, Player of the Year, four Derby players in the England side, all that sort of stuff. But it was a magical and short window that - while glorious to witness - was not really representative of our history. The Bald Eagle era was fantastic but we never challenged for a single trophy in that time. Derby have been throughout our history a largely top, occasionally second tier, club that have only sporadically moved either side of that zone.

So, we're not a tinpot club but we're also not missed at the top table. I'd love to be back there but I also don't get somehow chippy at being disrespected or under valued. Great club, great fans, great everything but my great club.

BTW - sweeping not personal, but anyone who watches Sky Sports News deserves everything they get. It is the plant on Little Shop of Horrors, fed and fed but never satisfied.

9 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I'm not convinced we are a sleeping giant - look through the list of clubs outside the Premiership and you could easily argue a case for about twenty of them feeling they should be a top flight team. And that's not counting the likes of Wimbledon, Notts County, Luton, Preston, Hull, Swindon, Blackpool, Milwall or Oxford. But - off the top of my head - we're in the same place as Coventry, Stoke, Portsmouth, Swansea, Middlesborough, Sunderland, Leeds, Blackburn, QPR, West Brom, Sheff Wed, Birmingham and many more. The truth is, the Premiership is not big enough to fit all the teams who want to believe they can be there.

As for those who are old enough to remember the good times we are a little tainted from the other angle. We remember European nights, League titles, British club record fees, Player of the Year, four Derby players in the England side, all that sort of stuff. But it was a magical and short window that - while glorious to witness - was not really representative of our history. The Bald Eagle era was fantastic but we never challenged for a single trophy in that time. Derby have been throughout our history a largely top, occasionally second tier, club that have only sporadically moved either side of that zone.

So, we're not a tinpot club but we're also not missed at the top table. I'd love to be back there but I also don't get somehow chippy at being disrespected or under valued. Great club, great fans, great everything but my great club.

BTW - sweeping not personal, but anyone who watches Sky Sports News deserves everything they get. It is the plant on Little Shop of Horrors, fed and fed but never satisfied.

Oh I agree with everything you say there. I realise now my post implies that the "sleeping giant" tag might be valid outside of the context of the past two decades which I don't believe.

But I do believe we're a "big" club.

I think over the history of football in England, if you were to tier the teams, it would obviously depend on how many clubs you put in a tier (I'd say 15 or so in the top one, probably more in the next) but I feel like in most cases Derby would be in that second group - and that makes them a "big" club when you consider there's hundreds of clubs below them vs the 15-20 (up to 30 if you're cynical I suppose) above them.

Archived