Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good article and pretty much sums up what I’ve thought of this season - we’ve tried to do the right things but very often gotten away with it and had to rely on individual skill rather than bending a truly excellent team. Really hasn’t shown enough to be worthy of the Chelsea job at all and would prove a very bizzare appointment at this juncture imo, nothing suggests he’s ready for that role yet. Not until he can really build a quality team at this level and take us to the next stage, all he’s had is one decent season so far.

44 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Really hasn’t shown enough to be worthy of the Chelsea job at all and would prove a very bizzare appointment at this juncture imo, nothing suggests he’s ready for that role yet. Not until he can really build a quality team at this level and take us to the next stage, all he’s had is one decent season so far.

I suppose it depends on whether you think he was 'held back' by not being able to purchase talent similar to the talent he was able to loan? The result he managed with a 'limited' squad might appeal to a temporarily limited Chelsea?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I suppose it depends on whether you think he was 'held back' by not being able to purchase talent similar to the talent he was able to loan? The result he managed with a 'limited' squad might appeal to a temporarily limited Chelsea?

To be fair, thanks to some superb work with the finances, Lampard was able to bring in quite a few players. More players than I expected us to sign.

Waghorn, Marriott and Holmes have worked out really well and will likely play a part in the future. But on Malone, Evans and Jozefzoon, the jury is still out.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is: he's been backed. He's signed plenty of players. He's not had to work on a shoestring, as some have suggested. 

5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I guess the point I'm trying to make is: he's been backed. He's signed plenty of players. He's not had to work on a shoestring, as some have suggested. 

Not necessarily how Chelsea might see it when comparing the quality he got out of the loans to the signings he was able to make.

5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

To be fair, thanks to some superb work with the finances, Lampard was able to bring in quite a few players. More players than I expected us to sign.

Waghorn, Marriott and Holmes have worked out really well and will likely play a part in the future. But on Malone, Evans and Jozefzoon, the jury is still out.

My worry is that unless we sell Bogle for a decent chunk of money, will Lampard (or whoever follows) be able to pull off the same trick?

Couple this with a large number of players to be released, and loan players returning to clubs, we will have to be smart this window.

Do we have the talent to step up from the academy like Bogle? I would say yes, but will they handle 40+ games?

11 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Fixed it fo' thee.

Thar's welcome.

At least there's a chance that £25m for Bogle wouldn't be obviously absurd, if he somehow got into the team and did OK £25m would look reasonable.
Butterfield would just see him fired, immediately ? 

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

At least there's a chance that £25m for Bogle wouldn't be obviously absurd, if he somehow got into the team and did OK £25m would look reasonable.
Butterfield would just see him fired, immediately ? 

Win win! Welcome back gaffer!

44 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Tbf I don’t think he had a lack of talent, but there clearly probably was more work needed to be done than one summer. Chelsea will obviously take that into account but I’d still say he probably did a decent rather than unspectacular job as the players he had at his disposal still had quality.

I can see that with a transfer ban and the obvious / lazy links to Lampard and Jody Morris why Chelsea might be taking a look.  However, why would Frank want to take the Chelsea job at this precise moment in his career?  Yes there's a strong link to the place from his playing days but he's a smart guy, he must know he's still learning his trade.  And that's aside from any loyalty he may feel about honouring his contract at Derby.

People take the England job when it's offered as it might be their only shot at it, but the Chelsea job will be available again very soon, and probably again not too long after that.  If FL carries on doing well at Derby he'll still be in the frame for it in the future.

3 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

I agree he did buy a good number of players at start of season, but that was only possible due to the Vydra sale. He didnt have much to work with in January and i assume will probably have to sell again if we want to do any significant spending.

Obviously I want Frank to stay and build on what he has started but how long must we wait before we know one way or the other? This uncertainty at some point will begin to impact on our season. I don't know about you lot but I'm constantly checking my phone to see if there are any developments. I'm not the most patient of people!

Archived