Mason Mount

Bob Gnarly

21 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Outrageous claim. 

Jorginho was crucial to Napoli finishing second in Serie A last year. 

Mount performed brilliantly in the Erevisidie (apologies for spelling) and has done really well in the championship but they’re not comparable yet. Mount will be better in the future. 

Good friend of mine, sadly a Chelsea fan, would happily see Jorginho jettisoned now - rated as nothing short of awful by many, many Chelsea fans. Whether Mount is anywhere near ready to step into his shoes is another point - interesting to think that Will Hughes is now a steady, if not exceptional, performer for Watford if that is any measure of comparision to the level of improvement needed.

So, far from an outrageous claim that Jorginho is poor but I get the point that Mount isn't yet ready (and may never be) to play for the very best.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Outrageous claim. 

Jorginho was crucial to Napoli finishing second in Serie A last year. 

Mount performed brilliantly in the Erevisidie (apologies for spelling) and has done really well in the championship but they’re not comparable yet. Mount will be better in the future. 

Have you watched Jorginho this year? Barely a forward pass, one of the slowest most unathletic players you'll ever see - definitely up there with the most expensive flops I've ever seen. What he did at Napoli is pointless for the Premier League.

Jorginho is a very good player. You don’t give special attention to such a player if they are so poor. Teams set out to press and mark him out of the game because they know how influential he can be.

Serie A and the Premier League are very different leagues and moving to a new club in a new country is never easy. I don’t think we’ve seen the best of him at Chelsea, but one difficult season in a new league doesn’t make him a bad player. It’s no coincidence Napoli are a shadow of their former selves without him in their midfield.

There are so many cases of a player needing time to adjust. Look at Vydra with us, as a classic example. Jorginho might just need time to adapt to the Premier League, or it might take another window for Chelsea to get the right blend of players around him, or even a different coach to utilise him more effectively. 

Of course, there’s a possibility that he might not be suited to the physical demands of English football. But it is a bit daft to call him a flop after one season - typical of the Internet pundit generation. 

As for Mount, he won’t be challenging for Jorginho’s position if Sarri stays beyond this season. Mount would have exactly the same difficulties Jorginho has faced. So he will play higher up the pitch.

Besides, he’s nowhere near ready to start for Chelsea. He’s been great for us in recent weeks but he has also had spells where he has looked completely anonymous and ineffective at this level.

Playing for Chelsea is a whole another level and the expectations would be too burdensome at this point. Chelsea fans are hardly the most forgiving bunch.

Bournemouth would be a great move for him to cut his teeth.

24 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Jorginho is a very good player. You don’t give special attention to such a player if they are so poor. Teams set out to press and mark him out of the game because they know how influential he can be.

Of course, there’s a possibility that he might not be suited to the physical demands of English football. But it is a bit daft to call him a flop after one season - typical of the Internet pundit generation. 

Furthermore, even if he isn't performing at his level with the ball - his defensive statistics are better than Kante's and on a similar level to Marcus Alonso's. The only player with better defensive stats for Chelsea this season is Azpilicueta.

Would it be a defensively minded player who Mount replaces? Only if their system is changed at the same time.

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Furthermore, even if he isn't performing at his level with the ball - his defensive statistics are better than Kante's and on a similar level to Marcus Alonso's. The only player with better defensive stats for Chelsea this season is Azpilicueta.

Would it be a defensively minded player who Mount replaces? Only if their system is changed at the same time.

Not really got to time for anyone who thinks Jorginho should be the sole defensive midfielder for Chelsea over Kante.

But yes, back on topic, Mount should be part of their squad, similar to Foden's usage at City - if not moreso because the surrounding talent isn't as good as City's.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Not really got to time for anyone who thinks Jorginho should be the sole defensive midfielder for Chelsea over Kante.

But yes, back on topic, Mount should be part of their squad, similar to Foden's usage at City - if not moreso because the surrounding talent isn't as good as City's.

Haha - I don't think that. So don't worry.

I suppose Foden is a pretty good comparison. Although I think the surrounding talent at City is somewhat necessary as it reduces the importance of Foden's individual performance. Young players are notoriously inconsistent.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

I don’t know why the OP made the original comparison. Technically they are both good midfielders but tactically they are currently utilized in vastly different areas of the pitch.

To be honest, I don’t think Jorginho is being played very effectively in Chelsea’s system, especially when the defence behind him is so poor.

Anyway, I don’t see a place for Mount at Chelsea. Anywhere in the midfield three and I think Mount gets bullied, targeted and goes missing in exactly the same way.

A move somewhere like Bournemouth, Watford or Wolves would be ideal. Look how David Brooks and our very own Will Hughes have progressed at such clubs. 

He needs to develop his game both physically and technically. Right now at Chelsea, he would be a luxury that they can’t really afford.

12 hours ago, Srg said:

Chelsea would be stupid to loan him out and continue with the likes of Ross Barkley. Different positions, but he's about 5 times the player Jorginho is already.

They play different positions, Jorginho is a holding mid, Mount still hasn't really showed he could handle playing in the premier league. Needs another season at either lower end prem side or loan back to us or put him in as a squad player at Chelsea . 

19 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Good friend of mine, sadly a Chelsea fan, would happily see Jorginho jettisoned now - rated as nothing short of awful by many, many Chelsea fans. Whether Mount is anywhere near ready to step into his shoes is another point - interesting to think that Will Hughes is now a steady, if not exceptional, performer for Watford if that is any measure of comparision to the level of improvement needed.

So, far from an outrageous claim that Jorginho is poor but I get the point that Mount isn't yet ready (and may never be) to play for the very best.

Their players didn’t have Sarri during pre season. His methods require a lot of work. The Napoli side last year was exquisite to watch. Jorginho was pivotal to that. If Chelsea are to achieve football like that then they require him. 

19 hours ago, Srg said:

Have you watched Jorginho this year? Barely a forward pass, one of the slowest most unathletic players you'll ever see - definitely up there with the most expensive flops I've ever seen. What he did at Napoli is pointless for the Premier League.

He’s there to sweep up and dictate the tempo, keep possession recycled and be good in tight situations. 

But hey what do we all know?! A manager deemed good enough that Chelsea spent £18m paying his release clause believes he’s Crucial to how he wants his team to play ??‍♂️ 

Just on a side note. Drogba was absolutely dog sht when he first moved to Chelsea. He developed into one of the most devastating strikers the league has ever seen once he’d adjusted. 

I remember about a month ago Martyn Waghorn was mocking Mount saying “ooo I want to stay here permanently” on his instagram story? Why would he joke about this if he hadn’t said it or if there wasn’t some truth to it.

i love Mount and all the loanees, however I honestly don’t see them playing regular first team football with their parent clubs. 

On 03/05/2019 at 15:28, Srg said:

I’m not sure you’re being fair at all dismissing that view. 

Kante isn’t a holding midfielder. He’s a defensive midfielder, yes, but he doesn’t sit. At Leicester and Chelsea the sitters were Drinkwater and Matic. 

For all the cries of him starting where Jorginho is playing it’s worth baring in mind that France tried him there in their last two tournemants and had to change system early on to get Kante into a two. 

Meanwhile, Napoli successfully deployed Allan as a defensive #8. So, as idiosyncratic as Sarri’s system is, it can work. 

Perhaps Kante just only suits playing in a counter-attacking two? Perhaps it’ll all come together at some point? 

• 1 month later...
On 03/05/2019 at 14:54, Jourdan said:

There are so many cases of a player needing time to adjust. Look at Vydra with us, as a classic example. Jorginho might just need time to adapt to the Premier League, or it might take another window for Chelsea to get the right blend of players around him, or even a different coach to utilise him more effectively. 

Vydra has had one good season out of the last four.  So not a great comparison if you are trying to say Jorginho needs as much time as Vydra does to make his mark.  ( Vydra also was nt a nailed on starter in our team despite his goals ) 

Regarding Mason, I hopee he gets chances to play for Chelsea with better players. He acquitted himself well in the cup game at Chelsea. 

1 hour ago, CHCDerby said:

I know I'm clutching at straws but any love in between Derby official and Mason like there is with Harry ?

No, nothing at all for him or Tomori which makes the Wilson thing all that more strange. 

Mount is definitely off limits this season, he'll be an England player in 12 months time - I guess he's already made the squad, but you know what I mean.

11 hours ago, Ambitious said:

No, nothing at all for him or Tomori which makes the Wilson thing all that more strange. 

Mount is definitely off limits this season, he'll be an England player in 12 months time - I guess he's already made the squad, but you know what I mean.

I'm pretty sure a much love message from Mount came via his dad.

43 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm pretty sure a much love message from Mount came via his dad.

I was speaking purely club to player. 

Tomori, Mount & Wilson all said their good byes and had the respective messages sent to each other a couple of weeks ago. Wilson's started up again seemingly for no reason. 

42 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I was speaking purely club to player. 

Tomori, Mount & Wilson all said their good byes and had the respective messages sent to each other a couple of weeks ago. Wilson's started up again seemingly for no reason. 

Probably because it's not even mid June and the season is ages away. Gotta keep the social media teams busy and post about nothing I suppose.

Archived