Under performed, over performed or as expected?

Smyth_18

Scott Carson - Not strictly at his best this season but mostly excellent - BETTER
Andre Wisdom - Was so excited when he re-joined. but where is the player we first loaned? - WORSE
Craig Forsyth - When fully fit the lad's dynamite. So unlucky with injuries though - BETTER
Craig Bryson - Fantastic servant to the the club - BETTER
Fikayo Tomori - The most consistent of the loans and showing improvement every week now - best not play him again! - BETTER
Richard Keogh - Club legend (syntax warriors form an orderly cue) - BETTER
Harry Wilson - Exciting young player but not quite delivering all that he promised - AS EXPECTED
Mason Mount - When fit and in-form, a complete game-changer - BETTER
Martyn Waghorn - Needs a run of games - wasn't convinced when we signed him so BETTER than expected
Tom Lawrence - Had hoped he'd really push on this season - there's a proper talent in there if he can be coached properly - AS EXPECTED
Florian Jozefzoon - Generally disappointing but has time on his side - might need a run of games - WORSE
Jack Marriott - A good young talent but needs better service - can score a hatful if he gets it - BETTER
Bradley Johnson - Hit and miss - better most recently but on balance slightly disappointing - WORSE
Alex Pearce - Solid when called upon - AS EXPECTED
George Evans - Really thought we'd secured a bargain but tough for a young player to come into a side that is underperforming and shine - time on his side - WORSE
Jacob Butterfield - Expected him to not be such a mardy ****. Decent player not suited by our style - WORSE
Chris Martin - Was a shining light - that form a long time ago now but another who needs a team set up that suits - BETTER
Mason Bennett - Getting there - all heart and wants to improve so gets the benefit of the doubt - BETTER
Kelle Roos - Surprised me with his form. Possibly unlucky to be dropped - BETTER
Nick Blackman - Crumbled under pressure but never was and never will be a winger - WORSE
Duane Holmes - So tidy and tough little bleeder too - BETTER
Max Lowe - Loads of talent but must learn to stay calm under pressure - BETTER
Ashley Cole - Bit of a limited sample - AS EXPECTED
David Nugent - Sorry Dave - lots of heart but best days long before we signed him - WORSE
Marcus Ollson - Solid but limited - AS EXPECTED
Ikechi Anya - A better player than most give him credit for but has failed to take his admittedly limited chances - WORSE
Curtis Davies - Proper leader - BETTER
George Thorne - Poor George, could have been something special - Hope he still can be - BETTER
Jayden Bogle - Star in the making - BETTER
Max Bird - See Jayden
Tom Huddlestone - Prince, when he plays well, we do well - BETTER
Scott Malone - Expected more to be honest but is not really a fullback IMO which is how he's being played - WORSE

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

I believe no player can ever over perform. When you buy a player you would expect them to play their best.

Their best might not fit the style and I agree some will under-perform. NEVER EVER should you say someone is over performing.

Messi is a great player, Ronaldo is a great player, do you think they play to their potential or are they constantly over performing?

Absolutely, from a manager's point of view, certainly. In terms of this thread, though, I read it as how the players have performed against our expectations to when we first signed them. 

I have no qualms about stating the players I would/wouldn't have signed when we bring them in. For example, someone like Waghorn would have been really low on my list considering the price we paid and our formation. However, he's done better than I personally expected, not necessarily in goal return, but his technical ability surprised me. I would say we're still failing to get the best out of him. 

10 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

Scott Carson - Over performed
Andre Wisdom - Under performed. Brilliant on loan. Since signing permanent, awful.
Craig Forsyth - Despite not being his biggest fan, massively overperformed.
Craig Bryson - Overperformed. (the games we consider bad performances recently are based on form before, not when we signed him)
Fikayo Tomori - Overperformed. Absolutely brilliant for his age.
Richard Keogh - Overperformed. He was signed as a replacement for Shackell, and he has been so much better overall.
Harry Wilson - As expected.
Mason Mount - I'd say slightly underperformed overall.
Martyn Waghorn - Underperformed so far. So much more to come. Really like him.
Tom Lawrence - Underperformed. Was Ince's 'high quality replacement'. Has been nowhere near as good.
Florian Jozefzoon - Underperformed.
Jack Marriott - Probably as expected. Shown glimpses of what is to come.
Bradley Johnson - Under performed massively overall.
Alex Pearce - Probably as expected.
George Evans - As expected. Nobody expected him to be first team when we signed him.
Jacob Butterfield - Under performed. No further words needed.
Chris Martin - Massively over performed from signing him.
Mason Bennett - Very difficult one. But would probably have to say under performed.
Kelle Roos - As expected
Nick Blackman - Under performed. See Butterfield.
Duane Holmes - MASSIVELY over performed.
Max Lowe - Probably as expected breaking through.
Ashley Cole - As expected.
David Nugent - As expected overall.
Marcus Ollson - As expected really.
Ikechi Anya - Under performed.
Curtis Davies - As expected.
George Thorne - Under performed. Not his fault.
Jayden Bogle - Over performed.
Max Bird - As expected.
Tom Huddlestone - As expected.
Scott Malone - As expected.

As the above, the only ones I would disagree with: 
Mount - I would say as expected - I knew he had a lot of ability, even if he did drop off slightly. He's still the most talented of the loanees. 
Roos - I would say over-performed - I never expected him to play a first team game with Derby, so to do so and do it at a good standard has been a nice surprise.
Davies - over-performed - he's been injured, so obviously fell off the radar somewhat, but he was excellent last season and cost us next to nothing in terms of what we got in return - an established, consistent leader. 
Malone - I agree he's doing as I expected, but for a rumoured price of £3m then I would have to say under-performed on price tag. 

As a team we took a few games to get going then overperformed towards the end of 2018, then underperformedleaving is more or less where I expected.

However the last couple of games suggest we are just starting on an over performing trajectory!

Ooohhh yes please!!!!

o

Goalkeepers:
Scott Carson - BETTER - Not his best season, but he has been incredible since he signed.
Kelle Roos - BETTER - He stepped in this season and outperformed one of the most consistent keepers in the league. Deserves a new contract.

Right Backs:
Andre Wisdom - 
WORSE - He is a totally different player to the one we had on loan. It doesn't look like he'll get back to that standard and I think we should offload him or try to convert him to a centre back.
Jayden Bogle - FAR BETTER - Looks like the best academy product since Will Hughes and my expectations of him weren't great. He is getting better with every game after coming through a rough patch.

Left Backs:
Craig Forsyth - 
BETTER - I tend to forget how good he is until he gets injured. In a free-flowing, attacking side, he is one of the best full backs at this level.
Scott Malone - AS EXPECTED - Very good going forward, plenty of passion, doesn't stop crosses. Exactly what we were told when we signed him. Would make a better wing back in 3-5-2.
Marcus Olsson - WORSE - I expected better from him. Never found any kind of consistency, even when he got a good run in the team.
Ashley Cole - AS EXPECTED - He was brought in as a backup option and has hopefully been imparting wisdom behind the scenes.
Max Lowe - AS EXPECTED - He has been on the cusp of breaking through for years. Had some good spells but never quite managed it and looks some way off Bogle.

Centre Backs:
Richard Keogh - 
FAR BETTER - Shouldn't have to explain this one. Richard Keogh is a Ram.
Fikayo Tomori - BETTER - Best loan signing since George Thorne, in my opinion. Really hope we can sign him permanently.
Curtis Davies - AS EXPECTED - Rock solid at the back and a real leader. He brings the ability to deploy an effective three at the back. We've missed that at times this season.
Efe Ambrose - AS EXPECTED - Hasn't played at all. Exactly as I expected. I don't think he'll feature unless Keogh or Tomori get injured.
Alex Pearce - AS EXPECTED - It could have been different if he didn't sign at the same time as Shackell, but he has served as a decent backup option at times. It's easy to forget that he captained Reading to promotion and had a good spell in the Prem.

Centre Midfielders:
Tom Huddlestone - 
AS EXPECTED - We're better with him than we are without him. He lacks mobility in the middle of the park, but if he didn't he would never have ended up back in the Championship.
George Thorne - FAR WORSE - Unfair really, but we all expected him to be a starter for England by now, not struggling to break into Luton Town. Injuries have ravaged his career but I still hope he can come back and make an impact.
George Evans - WORSE - I felt quietly confident when we signed him. Frank had played with him at City and he must have saw something. Hopefully we'll see it sooner rather than later, because he looks a bang average squad player to me.
Craig Bryson - FAR BETTER - See Richard Keogh. Legend of this era of the club. 
Mason Mount - AS EXPECTED - We knew we had a diamond when we singed him. We win games when he plays. We struggle when he doesn't. I doubt he will be back next season, so I hope Frank has a replacement lined up.
Bradley Johnson - WORSE - Maybe a bit harsh but he looked like a centre mid to get us out of this league when we signed him. Has good spells and bad. Never quite lived up to my expectations of him.
Jacob Butterfield - FAR WORSE - Probably the biggest waste of money we've ever had. Looked great at first and since then has been terrible for us, then for Sheffield Wednesday, and is now struggling at Bradford.

Wingers/Attacking Midfielders:
Florian Jozefzoon - WORSE - Never quite got going. Had the odd decent game. Brentford got much better from him, but isn't that just what they do?!
Tom Lawrence - AS EXPECTED - We tend to be a better team with him in the starting lineup. He is incredibly frustrating at times, but I didn't expect him to be much better when we signed him. He's a good Championship winger. If he gets a run in the team he will score more goals.
Harry Wilson - BETTER - I wasn't expecting that much from him. He has given us a plenty of memorable goals. He plays far better when Mount is on the pitch and I suspect that had Mount not got injured we would be around 5th, comfortably in the playoffs and he would have kept scoring.
Duane Holmes - BETTER - Looks like he could be an absolute world beater. We should seriously consider building a team around him. Finding his best position would be a great start - maybe just off the main striker. My cousin is good friends with him from school and he said we were onto a winner when we signed him.
Ikechi Anya - FAR WORSE - Won promotion with Watford, been here for years and hardly had a good game. Has been dropped by successive managers and there must be a good reason for it. Hopefully we can offload him at the end of the season.
Mason Bennett - WORSE - I thought he was going to take the league by storm. Then I thought he was going to be a first team regular. Now he has established himself as a decent impact sub. Hopefully there is still more to come and I would be happy to see him maintain his position as a squad player. 

Strikers:
Martyn Waghorn - WORSE - Hasn't scored as many as I thought he would. He has had good games and this probably says more about my expectations of him than his actual performances.
Jack Marriott - AS EXPECTED - The natural finisher we all thought he would be. There is much, much more to come from him.
Chris Martin - FAR BETTER - Our best striker since our last good spell in the Premier League. Another fantastic Clough signing.
Nick Blackman - WORSE - I was surprised to see us buy him after his purple patch. I was even more surprised seeing him play. How he ever went on a run of scoring form in this league is beyond me. 
David Nugent - AS EXPECTED - We caught him at the back end of his career. Provided exactly what I thought he would. Shame his legs have gone now, but he has been good value.

Far Better - 3
Better - 7
As Expected - 11
Worse - 8
Far Worse - 3

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't our meteoric rise under Clough and Mackay down to almost every signing for half a decade overperforming? And our subsequent downfall due to each signing doing the precise opposite?

The team Mackay put together was already established as a very good side with a few very good player's added like James, George and Rioch who were already considered well established top flight players. .  Cloughies team was originally put together with a number of player's who were pretty young with a couple of old heads that established themselves in the top flight- more unknowns than over performing ,  but we did break the British record at the time for Todd and paid a lot for Nish.  

Our downfall was Tommy Docherty spending every penny on a load of crap that probably performed as well as expected to anyone with a brain.

The side clough had at Forest circa 77-80 was more of an over performing side as a lot of there players who did so well had done nothing to that point .   From what I saw on a programme last night a lot of it was built around Kenny Burns ability to hack the opposition into submission . One tackle he made on Ricky Villa was 5 red cards in one . He actually wound up with a chunk of his sock stuck on his boot. 

Archived