Most Famous

SEAO

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Ramshankered said:

Spot on imo. I was in Japan last year – chatting footy to the locals in broken English of course. No one had heard of Derby County, but everyone knew who Frank Lampard was. 

That's perhaps more of a cultural thing than a question of football knowledge. Lots of folk are familiar with David Beckham, but know nothing about football. Derby County are quite well known around Europe, from their forays in the European Cup. 

I once had a server in Budapest ask me what football I was watching. 

I told him Derby County, and he got very excited.

Turns out he worked in Manchester for 3 years, and everyone there loved the Manchester Derby!

Being English, I left him a decent tip and didn't correct him.

20 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

As an interesting aside .  Who was the most famous player we signed is one thing,  but which player came here who no one had heard of and became famous with us  ?   I'll start with Wanchope .

...closely followed by Igor.

14 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

i'll raise you an Asanovic.  must be the best 600.000 we've spent for that 96/97 season.  Saunders would be another , think he'd had 5 or 6 clubs before he came here.

Yep, i'll give you that, Baiano?

1 hour ago, mozza said:

Yep, i'll give you that, Baiano?

Decent player for a year - a recommendation of Eranio after the Baggio deal went pearshaped.  Would have been good to see the European player of the year in a Derby shirt -  Baggio would possibly have been the most famous had we got him.

On 16/03/2019 at 15:01, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Decent player for a year - a recommendation of Eranio after the Baggio deal went pearshaped.  Would have been good to see the European player of the year in a Derby shirt -  Baggio would possibly have been the most famous had we got him.

At the same time as Jim Smith was trying for Baggio, he was also trying for David Ginola and Emmanuel Petit. They were both seen at Pride Park, and it was only wages that stopped them signing.

What a team that would have been! And full of famous peeps as well! What more could you want?

Archived