Frank needs to have a word with Wilson

Bob The Badger

I know he hit the bar last night, but other than that he's wasted opportunity after opportunity over the last couple of months.

It seems that if we're over the halfway line he has one thing and one thing only on his mind. Have a go on goal.

That's great when they're going in and he isn't just trying to decapitate or create eunuchs of the defenders in the wall.

And I'm sick to death of the RamsTV commentators saying that it's just not like him when he drills another free-kick into the gonads of some poor unsuspecting player.

Yes, yes it is. At the moment that is exactly like him.

And why I'm ranting about them talking baalocks, it's the same scenario when Huddlestone blasts one over.

Why do they seem surprised?

That's what Huddlestone does 95% of the time. He blasts opportunities over the bar. It's not front page news.

Anyway, back to Wilson. 

He's living on past performances and the very least he can do is either occasionally hit a cross in when he's 48 yards from the goal, or maybe let Lawrence have a go.

And btw, Lawrence didn't look at all happy last night when he wasn't even consulted on Wilson's first attempt. And I don't blamde him, it's not like he's never scored from a deal ball situation. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's football, players go through patches of good form and bad form. The rest, plus the boost of Mount should get him back in it again. He set himself very high standards previously .So much so that we know expect him to sore every free kick and win us the game single handedly. 

Thought Wilson had a few shooting opportunities last night he failed to execute. Big Tom needs to stop the Hollywood passing and keep it on the floor. Great shooting is about body shape when the ball is struck, more practice needed I feel. Maybe get Alan in for some coaching....now that boy could strike a ball ?

2 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Thought Wilson had a few shooting opportunities last night he failed to execute. Big Tom needs to stop the Hollywood passing and keep it on the floor. Great shooting is about body shape when the ball is struck, more practice needed I feel. Maybe get Alan in for some coaching....now that boy could strike a ball ?

I thought Toms eye was in last night on his long passing. In fact there was some really good long passes from a few of them.

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Can we get our conspiracy heads on and mention Liverpool’s well know “play him or pay us” rule on loanee’s yet?

I was wondering this last night after another stray final ball.

I heard that there is a bonus payment due if he scores one more and Frank has asked him to miss on purpose.

8 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Can we get our conspiracy heads on and mention Liverpool’s well know “play him or pay us” rule on loanee’s yet?

Speaking of conspiracy theories, that final ball was so far off target it took JFK's head off.

Lee Harvey Oswald my arse.

7 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I thought Toms eye was in last night on his long passing. In fact there was some really good long passes from a few of them.

I thought it was Lawrence's best game all season, he looked really dangerous.

Speaking of dangerous, did you see that shot by Wilson that hit Princess Di's chauffeur straight in the face as he entered the tunnel? 

Had a rant a few weeks ago about some of our players attitudes and Wilson was one of the main targets

I don't believe that he's got a bad attitude at all. I'll stress that first

I believe he desperately wants this loan to be a success. He wants to win so badly, you can see that. I don't think he's in it for personal glory. 

But him, like other players, do what he thinks serves the team best. He will ignore a pass that opens a chance for someone else because he 100% believes this 40 yard effort is going in. 

It's not necessarily for his highlights reel. It's him thinking he knows what the team needs. 

Another example is Bryson. Bryson will constantly sit 15 yards in front of the defence, take the ball off them and then give it back to one of them. I don't think for a second Bryson wouldn't run through brick walls for Derby. I don't think he sees what a negative job he's doing. He probably believes that if he keeps possession ticking over that he's doing good. 

Maybe Lampard should take blame or maybe they aren't doing what's asked but we can't have players doing what they think is best.

You can watch the game and see Wilson doing this and Bryson doing that. You get 30,000 people thinking that's your 5th 40 yard shot this half or that's the 20th knock back to Keogh with space to turn ignored. Yet they'll still keep doing it. 

We've got a GD of 2. That's pretty bloody poor. Birmingham have 5. What are our biggest wins? 

After early signs of good team play going forward it has descended into a free for all. 

You wouldn't want Wilson to stop doing his thing. But c'mon mate, you have other players with you.

You can't really blame anyone but Lampard. Poor discipline and game management. No biggie. 12 months ago he'd never managed a group of footballers and all their daily needs. But a GD of 2 and a few games with barely a shot on goal for a team in the play offs all season. What would you say if this was about Forest?

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

It’s not really conspiracy because it’s true, Liverpool do it with all of their young loan players. I can see why they do it and it’s a tactic other clubs should use in my opinion. They get to see if their loan players are good enough to make it after having a consistent run of games and if they are great for them, if not then sell them on and wish them the best. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Had a rant a few weeks ago about some of our players attitudes and Wilson was one of the main targets

I don't believe that he's got a bad attitude at all. I'll stress that first

I believe he desperately wants this loan to be a success. He wants to win so badly, you can see that. I don't think he's in it for personal glory. 

But him, like other players, do what he thinks serves the team best. He will ignore a pass that opens a chance for someone else because he 100% believes this 40 yard effort is going in. 

It's not necessarily for his highlights reel. It's him thinking he knows what the team needs. 

Another example is Bryson. Bryson will constantly sit 15 yards in front of the defence, take the ball off them and then give it back to one of them. I don't think for a second Bryson wouldn't run through brick walls for Derby. I don't think he sees what a negative job he's doing. He probably believes that if he keeps possession ticking over that he's doing good. 

Maybe Lampard should take blame or maybe they aren't doing what's asked but we can't have players doing what they think is best.

You can watch the game and see Wilson doing this and Bryson doing that. You get 30,000 people thinking that's your 5th 40 yard shot this half or that's the 20th knock back to Keogh with space to turn ignored. Yet they'll still keep doing it. 

We've got a GD of 2. That's pretty bloody poor. Birmingham have 5. What are our biggest wins? 

After early signs of good team play going forward it has descended into a free for all. 

You wouldn't want Wilson to stop doing his thing. But c'mon mate, you have other players with you.

You can't really blame anyone but Lampard. Poor discipline and game management. No biggie. 12 months ago he'd never managed a group of footballers and all their daily needs. But a GD of 2 and a few games with barely a shot on goal for a team in the play offs all season. What would you say if this was about Forest?

If it was about Forest I’d ask the fan if he can remember the last time they were in the play off positions, and are they surprised that a new manager that has come in has managed to maintain being in and around despite a lengthy injury list. 

Id provably ask how this young lad has managed to score over 10 plus goals this season of which I believe is the highest number from outside the box in all leagues if your going to tell him not to shoot, and maybe at such a young age he is going to have some indifferent games hence why a team going for the PL and CL loaned him out if the first place.

I wouldn’t ask him if there were any positives though, Forest fans are all doom and gloom and living in the past.

2 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

If it was about Forest I’d ask the fan if he can remember the last time they were in the play off positions, and are they surprised that a new manager that has come in has managed to maintain being in and around despite a lengthy injury list. 

Id provably ask how this young lad has managed to score over 10 plus goals this season of which I believe is the highest number from outside the box in all leagues if your going to tell him not to shoot, and maybe at such a young age he is going to have some indifferent games hence why a team going for the PL and CL loaned him out if the first place.

I wouldn’t ask him if there were any positives though, Forest fans are all doom and gloom and living in the past.

Certainly wouldn't want him to stop shooting. Just maybe not so much when there's others taking up great positions. And not to have his mind made up as soon as he picks the ball up

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

Certainly wouldn't want him to stop shooting. Just maybe not so much when there's others taking up great positions. And not to have his mind made up as soon as he picks the ball up

5 shots against stoke, of which I believe 3 (maybe 2) were free kicks. Game before, he had 1 shot in the game.

Taking out his free kicks, I believe  he has an average 2-3 shots per game, I’m sure there are occasions throughout the season that he could have had made better decisions, however for example against Stoke I can’t think of one where I thought there was a opportunity to play in someone else in a better position. 

So as a manager, seems as you seem to lay the blame as his door, what would you say to Wilson, only shoot once per game Harry, doing it two or three times is a bit excessive mate ?

My own personal view is that he would tell him if he has a shooting opportunity to take it, if of course there is an opportunity to play someone in that has a better chance you do that, however is 2 or 3 shots per game really that excessive given his return to date this season ?

26 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

5 shots against stoke, of which I believe 3 (maybe 2) were free kicks. Game before, he had 1 shot in the game.

Taking out his free kicks, I believe  he has an average 2-3 shots per game, I’m sure there are occasions throughout the season that he could have had made better decisions, however for example against Stoke I can’t think of one where I thought there was a opportunity to play in someone else in a better position. 

So as a manager, seems as you seem to lay the blame as his door, what would you say to Wilson, only shoot once per game Harry, doing it two or three times is a bit excessive mate ?

My own personal view is that he would tell him if he has a shooting opportunity to take it, if of course there is an opportunity to play someone in that has a better chance you do that, however is 2 or 3 shots per game really that excessive given his return to date this season ?

2 game season?

Under Clement/Rowett we complained we were boring and too defensive. Under Mac we were too attacking where we perhaps should have shut up shop. 

I fully believe the likes of Wilson and Lawrence are trying to emulate the Mac style while we've tried to have a tighter defence recently it seems. Newbie manager still, he'll find the balance eventually. 

16 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

We are lucky to have him ,short memories some people .You will all be whinging when he's not here anymore.

Completely agree. I think he's a great player. His record of goals from outside the box this season is statistically second to none, and so he can keep on shooting as far as I'm concerned. I don't remember ever thinking he should have passed rather than shot on Wednesday. In fact, I only remember times when his final ball was poor and I thought he might as well have had a pop on goal.

His actual performances have been suspect all year for me but goals can paper over flaws at this level for sure. Teams don't need a complete player if he's going to score you 15 a year from midfield. The problem we have is we've got too many players like that, in it for themselves rather than the team. 

Golden opportunity to square it to Tom Lawrence, which is irony at it's best, in the first half after lil Duane went through. Got no problem with him trying the shot even though it was never on, it's the fact he doesn't lift his head up to see if anyone's in a better position. Tom would have done the same so not quite sure how he could moan but there you go. Just not a fan of it, haven't been all year. That and the diving. It's my gripe with Lawrence too. 

I get that we all like different types of players though so no issue with the praise he gets. You can't take those goals away from him. I'm sure he'll become a very good player but he's not one yet. 

Archived