Scholes leaves Oldham

ramsbottom

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47570578

Former Manchester United and England midfielder Paul Scholes has left his role as Oldham Athletic manager after just 31 days.

The 44-year-old took over on 11 February and was in charge for just seven games, winning only one.

Scholes said in a statement that he had taken the decision with "great regret".

"It unfortunately became clear that I would not be able to operate as I intended and was led to believe prior to taking on the role," he continued.

Scholes took over with the Latics 14th in the table and leaves with them in the same position.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47570578

Former Manchester United and England midfielder Paul Scholes has left his role as Oldham Athletic manager after just 31 days.

The 44-year-old took over on 11 February and was in charge for just seven games, winning only one.

Scholes said in a statement that he had taken the decision with "great regret".

"It unfortunately became clear that I would not be able to operate as I intended and was led to believe prior to taking on the role," he continued.

Scholes took over with the Latics 14th in the table and leaves with them in the same position.

Is that code for "I didn't realise at the time I took the job that i wasn't actually a very good manager...."

?

I'm sick to the back teeth of how the BBC fawn over the "class of 92". That has to be one of the least objective football articles I've ever read. Excuse after excuse is reeled off on Scholes' behalf, not once are his tactics mentioned and comments from actual Latics supporters are dismissed with a hand wave. A dismal effort, even by the Beeb's ever decreasing standards. I can't wait for the two hour long documentary hosted by Linekar, "Scholes, Beyond The Boundary".

11 minutes ago, Anon said:

I'm sick to the back teeth of how the BBC fawn over the "class of 92". That has to be one of the least objective football articles I've ever read. Excuse after excuse is reeled off on Scholes' behalf, not once are his tactics mentioned and comments from actual Latics supporters are dismissed with a hand wave. A dismal effort, even by the Beeb's ever decreasing standards. I can't wait for the two hour long documentary hosted by Linekar, "Scholes, Beyond The Boundary".

I don’t get any of that from that piece. 

11 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I don’t get any of that from that piece. 

My apologies. I'd already read a BBC article on this subject this morning and I assumed this would be the same one, as the BBC don't normally publish two pieces in the same morning about a lower league manager quitting their job.

This is the piece I was referring to, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47578195

8 hours ago, Anon said:

My apologies. I'd already read a BBC article on this subject this morning and I assumed this would be the same one, as the BBC don't normally publish two pieces in the same morning about a lower league manager quitting their job.

This is the piece I was referring to, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47578195

I didn't get that feeling from the article, he has obviously been let down, promised one thing and received something totally different and like the article says why would you put yourself through that..?

Scholes is a strange character. I understand that he had unbelievable talent and he was rightly part of one of the greatest dynasties in football history, but he does little to endear himself. 

I mean, he quit on his boyhood club via text message? I don't care what his reasons were, surely you man up and do it properly? I also don't like the fact he quit on England too. I appreciate his never done a 'Giggs' and done something repulsive in his private life, which does seem a rarity in this era, but his attitude is all wrong. 

He's going to struggle to get another crack at it, if he even wants another crack at it.. earn your stripes! 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Scholes is a strange character. I understand that he had unbelievable talent and he was rightly part of one of the greatest dynasties in football history, but he does little to endear himself. 

I mean, he quit on his boyhood club via text message? I don't care what his reasons were, surely you man up and do it properly? I also don't like the fact he quit on England too. I appreciate his never done a 'Giggs' and done something repulsive in his private life, which does seem a rarity in this era, but his attitude is all wrong. 

He's going to struggle to get another crack at it, if he even wants another crack at it.. earn your stripes! 

Good player also a thoroughly filthy player.  Should have had 10 reds a year. 

16 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

I didn't get that feeling from the article, he has obviously been let down, promised one thing and received something totally different and like the article says why would you put yourself through that..?

He was there for 7 games and didn't oversee a transfer window. What can he have been promised that he felt he needed to quit over? The worst the BBC can come up with, the chairman spoke to the players! The horror! Where is the feinting couch?

It's evidently a case of another pampered ex Premier League player being completely unprepared for and oblivious to the realities of lower league football. Imagine the stick Sol Campbell would've taken if he'd walked out of Macclesfield after 7 games, yet Scholes is untouchable.

To be fair to Scholes the Oldham owner isnt the best. Always interfeering. Apparently he wasnt impressed with the set up. The club put no coach on for Bury away so players made their own way & players having to wash their own kits?

That said i dont think he’d make the best manager. Its a bad job to take he’s probably only took it because he still lives in the area &  everyone in Oldham love him. One of them where everyone claims to know paul Scholes  

12 hours ago, G-Ram said:

To be fair to Scholes the Oldham owner isnt the best. Always interfeering. Apparently he wasnt impressed with the set up. The club put no coach on for Bury away so players made their own way & players having to wash their own kits?

That said i dont think he’d make the best manager. Its a bad job to take he’s probably only took it because he still lives in the area &  everyone in Oldham love him. One of them where everyone claims to know paul Scholes  

You sure he wasn’t coach of the Oldham Arms pub team?

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 08:56, Anon said:

He was there for 7 games and didn't oversee a transfer window. What can he have been promised that he felt he needed to quit over? The worst the BBC can come up with, the chairman spoke to the players! The horror! Where is the feinting couch?

It's evidently a case of another pampered ex Premier League player being completely unprepared for and oblivious to the realities of lower league football. Imagine the stick Sol Campbell would've taken if he'd walked out of Macclesfield after 7 games, yet Scholes is untouchable.

Campbells got form though.  2 games for Notts County anyone.

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Anon said:

Oldham's new manager has three wins and one draw from his first four fixtures. Still, he wasn't in the "class of 92" so it's unlikely anyone will care.

Oldham fans might.

Archived