Super tom (Lawrence)

Big Trav

Whatever your opinions on this man are, you have to admit it was night and day in performances when he starts. He might be selfish and there’s work to be done but he always looked to take on his man and always looked to create a chance or shoot. Quality performance from him. Hopefully shuts the haters up for at least 2 weeks. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Whatever your opinions on this man are, you have to admit it was night and day in performances when he starts. He might be selfish and there’s work to be done but he always looked to take on his man and always looked to create a chance or shoot. Quality performance from him. Hopefully shuts the haters up for at least 2 weeks. 

agreed very good last night.  He needs to be more consistent otherwise he will always be a luxury player.  Don't care if we miss out on the great performances in exchange for plenty of good ones

He had a good patch during the season when Wilson was grabbing headlines Lawrence was playing well. Then I think he got injured? Then came back as the dribbledribbledribbleZzzz. 

I don't know if I'm classed as a hater but I just think less is more with him. There was a moment last night when he dribbled clear of a couple of players and put in a cross (not a bad cross considering the angle, the options and that he had already done a good sprint) and that is exactly where he shows his ability. He had no options and did really well to create anything at all

I'm not a hater I just don't want to see his ability in the same way Wilson displayed his last night. Rather than pass the ball which moves faster than either of them and stretch the opponent to create and opening to pass or attack through, he chose to shoot or try some trickery. Its trickery that beats the man but he's been directed away from any help. Or it's a shot that may fly in the top corner but I'm sure Stoke would choose to take 5 of those rather than 2 quality chances created by patience and team play. 

If that makes me a hater then whatever. But I want to see quality openings for Derby and not a highlights reel for 1 player. 

Those mature performances earlier in the season came from nowhere and it's a shame injury prevented him from kicking on. I hope he can carry on and Wilson needs to settle back down. 

Last night was a much better performance by the midfield than the trash in games over the last couple of months. But they still can do better. It was a Stoke side not especially interested in scoring but we are going to have to up the creativity even more if we are going to turn the 2 points we've got from 2 home games into the 4 or 6 points that I think it's fair to say we would have expected if we are wanting the play offs. 

Its improvement and I'm happy. (Honest!) But the performance, especially from our midfield, slipped well below the standards these players are capable of. 

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

He had a good patch during the season when Wilson was grabbing headlines Lawrence was playing well. Then I think he got injured? Then came back as the dribbledribbledribbleZzzz. 

I don't know if I'm classed as a hater but I just think less is more with him. There was a moment last night when he dribbled clear of a couple of players and put in a cross (not a bad cross considering the angle, the options and that he had already done a good sprint) and that is exactly where he shows his ability. He had no options and did really well to create anything at all

I'm not a hater I just don't want to see his ability in the same way Wilson displayed his last night. Rather than pass the ball which moves faster than either of them and stretch the opponent to create and opening to pass or attack through, he chose to shoot or try some trickery. Its trickery that beats the man but he's been directed away from any help. Or it's a shot that may fly in the top corner but I'm sure Stoke would choose to take 5 of those rather than 2 quality chances created by patience and team play. 

If that makes me a hater then whatever. But I want to see quality openings for Derby and not a highlights reel for 1 player. 

Those mature performances earlier in the season came from nowhere and it's a shame injury prevented him from kicking on. I hope he can carry on and Wilson needs to settle back down. 

Last night was a much better performance by the midfield than the trash in games over the last couple of months. But they still can do better. It was a Stoke side not especially interested in scoring but we are going to have to up the creativity even more if we are going to turn the 2 points we've got from 2 home games into the 4 or 6 points that I think it's fair to say we would have expected if we are wanting the play offs. 

Its improvement and I'm happy. (Honest!) But the performance, especially from our midfield, slipped well below the standards these players are capable of. 

he was pretty good last night but still a little anonymous.......having said that he was better than ince for stoke and i think there is a lot more to come from him,he could be outstanding with more confidence.

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

he was pretty good last night but still a little anonymous.......having said that he was better than ince for stoke and i think there is a lot more to come from him,he could be outstanding with more confidence.

I couldn't really figure out Stoke's tactics to win the game. 

They played as if we were vulnerable to counter attacks but we aren't especially are we? We don't really do possession in the final third and commit numbers. We are quite rushed sometimes if anything. 

It seemed totally reliant on some sort of magic from the likes of Ince who would have had to be Harry Potter to create any more than he did. The service was the sort of nightmares Marriott has been having. 

Looked like negative garbage to me. I expected better considering their players, they have nothing to lose, apparently a young talented manager just through the door and of course a touch of spite between the fans. 

Pulis would have at least had Crouch up front and big diagonals in his 8-0-2 system

13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I’m not Lawrence’s biggest fan but maybe the dribble dribble dribble problem is because he came through Man Utd’s academy at the same time as when Ronaldo was doing well at Man Utd when he used to dribble all the time so he wants to copy his style? His free kick method is even the same as Ronaldo’s. 

The same thing happened to fellow Man Utd academy players Lingard, Pogba and Welbeck(a bit older than the other three) before they ironed out their games and realised they were never going to be flying wingers in the Ronaldo style so they turned into players that suited their own strengths, high energy workrate players mostly for Lingard and welbeck. He needs to ask himself deep down what his strengths are instead of what he wants them to be and build a style around that. I don’t blame him particularly for that because we all wanted to copy our favourite football players.

Running at the back four from a central position, he looked good. 

Most of his play seemed to be fairly central v stoke

p.s. Didn't ince look poo

3 hours ago, Big Trav said:

What is a hater ?  If you occasionally have an opinion on a poor performance, you must hate him, is that how it works.  Seems rather strong .  If someone disagrees with an opinion that's not the same as another's they should shut up ? Also seems rather strong .

4 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Still our most naturally gifted player. Very direct and can take on defences. Consistency a problem though.....

He’s the only player we’ve had in recent weeks finding space and running at defences, committing opposition players trying to break the lines. All our play recently has been in front of teams. He gave us another dimension. His pressing was also excellent (as it was earlier in the season).

We get frustrated with him sometimes because he can be so good, it’s frustrating when he doesn’t play to his ability, but he isn’t anywhere near as bad as a lot of people make out at times. 

Guess I’m a fan then!

12 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

He’s the only player we’ve had in recent weeks finding space and running at defences, committing opposition players trying to break the lines.

Holmes and wilson will also run at people. Best sight in football (apart from the ball hitting the back of the net).

Take them on!

we might even be awarded a penalty one year if we keep at it.

18 hours ago, McLovin said:

I’m not Lawrence’s biggest fan but maybe the dribble dribble dribble problem is because he came through Man Utd’s academy at the same time as when Ronaldo was doing well at Man Utd when he used to dribble all the time so he wants to copy his style? His free kick method is even the same as Ronaldo’s. 

I don't personally see it as a problem...

The number of chances created against Stoke from Lawrence, Wilson, Holmes, Bogle and Malone running with the ball at their feet showed how little defences like that

Against Wednesday it was pretty much ONLY Bogle's running with the ball that caused them any problems whatsoever

I think having a few players who can do that is a definite bonus, not a problem

Lawrence is one of the most frustrating players I have watched.

Mainly because he has the talent but appears to lack the decision making side of things. Obviously still quite young and can improve but some weeks I think I would happily cash in other weeks I see him as quite important.

Hopefully he can kick on and show his ability.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

I think essentially he is a very good footballer.

Just a bit lazy at times. 

Gets fouled a lot.  

Should look up more occasionally to see what else is on .

Rate Lawrence though always have since he signed.

Don't think he's lazy. Lawrence is very much a confidence player and if things aren't going well he quickly becomes dispirited and expresses it in a way that doesn't sit well with many fans.

I thought against the Stokies he was the sort of player we thought we'd signed.

Archived