Derby County v Rotherham United

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is, for me, the season defining game. A confident and well structured win, hoepfully with our preferred XI, gives us all the momentum we need to go into the home straight full of belief we can win, win and win over the finishing line. A scrappy showing, unable to exact revenge for earlier in the season, and anything less than an emphatic win leaves us thinking that every game between now and May is a banana skin.

Anything less than a convincing win and this ageing Ram will have us down for another season in the Championship. But we can do it, we know we can...

11 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

No Duncan?

Oh yeah! Forgot about Dunc. I was just looking back at the terrible Rotherham away game and thought I'd look at the line up for the West Brom game. It looks so good! But yeah we can't drop Duncan. Swap him in for old knuckleball?

8 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Oh yeah! Forgot about Dunc. I was just looking back at the terrible Rotherham away game and thought I'd look at the line up for the West Brom game. It looks so good! But yeah we can't drop Duncan. Swap him in for old knuckleball?

Yeah I'd go with that to give him a proverbial kick up the jacksie. Or maybe just cameo role for Mount to ease him back in gently. Could also make an argument for swapping him for Waggers although Dunc is more influential centrally imho.

Roos

Bogle Keogh Tomori Malone

Huddlestone

Holmes Mount

Waghorn Marriott Lawrence 

Difficult one this. Wilson deservedly dropped, harsh on Johnson mind but just feel mount gives us that forward impetus while still retaining a bit of strength. Need to figure out how to score goals really or we aren’t going anywhere, hopefully that front three has enough in them with mount back in. Wanna see Holmes next to mount as well, could be magic that, don’t think we have yet?

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Roos

Huddlestone

Holmes Mount

Waghorn Marriott Lawrence 

Difficult one this. Wilson deservedly dropped, harsh on Johnson mind but just feel mount gives us that forward impetus while still retaining a bit of strength. Need to figure out how to score goals really or we aren’t going anywhere, hopefully that front three has enough in them with mount back in. Wanna see Holmes next to mount as well, could be magic that, don’t think we have yet?

Mount is too light-weight in that role and Johnson has proved his worth in the 4-2-3-1 formation, which has seen us improve our performance of late. I agree we need to take our (and create more) opportunities. I would swap Mount for Wilson (with Mount in the centre) and not tinker any more than that.

8 minutes ago, KCG said:

Mount is too light-weight in that role and Johnson has proved his worth in the 4-2-3-1 formation, which has seen us improve our performance of late. I agree we need to take our (and create more) opportunities. I would swap Mount for Wilson (with Mount in the centre) and not tinker any more than that.

I dunno, mounts stronger than most give him credit for imo, he’s stronger than bryson by a country mile for instance. But yeah Johnson’s done well and you couldn’t argue against him starting. Holmes on the wing is a big no tho, hes not at all suited to that role, moving him from the middle will kill us, he provides most of our creative threat. That’s mainly why I had to drop Johnson, maybe a narrow diamond and screw the wingers cause they never do anything of any quality?

Roos

Huddlestone

Johnson Holmes

Mount

Waghorn Marriott 

Puts pressure on the fullbacks to provide width but they’re both good going forward and normally provide most our threat from wide anyway so it’s not like much will change, just get rid of the poo wingers who couldn’t deliver a final ball to save their lives. Obvs harsh on Lawrence but he can play that mount role as well. That’s the only other option I can see. May give us more of a midfield 

45 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I dunno, mounts stronger than most give him credit for imo, he’s stronger than bryson by a country mile for instance. But yeah Johnson’s done well and you couldn’t argue against him starting. Holmes on the wing is a big no tho, hes not at all suited to that role, moving him from the middle will kill us, he provides most of our creative threat. That’s mainly why I had to drop Johnson, maybe a narrow diamond and screw the wingers cause they never do anything of any quality?

Roos

Huddlestone

Johnson Holmes

Mount

Waghorn Marriott 

Puts pressure on the fullbacks to provide width but they’re both good going forward and normally provide most our threat from wide anyway so it’s not like much will change, just get rid of the poo wingers who couldn’t deliver a final ball to save their lives. Obvs harsh on Lawrence but he can play that mount role as well. That’s the only other option I can see. May give us more of a midfield 

No reason why mount should get a free pass to start.  IMO our problems have been worsened by tinkering.  If they play well they should get to start.  TL, BJ and Holmes have played well and need to feel the shirt is theirs to lose

Archived