F1 2019

EnigmaRam

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 04/11/2019 at 13:58, King Kevin said:

Well done Lewis 6 times world champion ,I expect him to go on and beat Schumachers record.

Over the last ten years my interest in F1 has dwindled a lot, but Hamilton really is bloody good, and he's also both lucky and has made the right moves to be in the right car at the right time, which is a talent that some drivers (Fernando...looking at you)....don't seem to have.

Pisses me that the likes of talk sport will say Hamilton only won because he's in the best car, then in the next sentence are ejaculating over Ronaldo etc for winning x,y and z by playing in the best team.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2019 at 22:40, Paul71 said:

Pisses me that the likes of talk sport will say Hamilton only won because he's in the best car, then in the next sentence are ejaculating over Ronaldo etc for winning x,y and z by playing in the best team.

Pisses me off when Talksport say anything to be honest...

On 09/11/2019 at 22:40, Paul71 said:

I understand what your saying but, stick someone like Verstappen in a Mercedes and/or Hamilton in a Williams and there is no way he would have achieved what he has (in my opinion). I can't stand Ronaldo but, you have to admire is ability. Stick him in an average Premier League team and he'd still be outstanding.

I used to watch F1 ever time it was on but, not any more. I now find it, on the whole, incredibly boring.

8 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I understand what your saying but, stick someone like Verstappen in a Mercedes and/or Hamilton in a Williams and there is no way he would have achieved what he has (in my opinion). I can't stand Ronaldo but, you have to admire is ability. Stick him in an average Premier League team and he'd still be outstanding.

I used to watch F1 ever time it was on but, not any more. I now find it, on the whole, incredibly boring.

Hamilton has won despite not being in the best car before, though. 

16 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Hamilton has won despite not being in the best car before, though. 

The last two seasons you could argue this. The Ferraris have had a great car just not produced the goods.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

True but we're talking about his impressive haul of world championships most of which, I would argue, have been achieved driving the best car.

He can only drive the car he’s given though. Do you expect him to puncture his own tyres or something to give the other guys a fighting chance? He gets the chance to drive the best car, cos he’s the best driver. 

17 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

He can only drive the car he’s given though. Do you expect him to puncture his own tyres or something to give the other guys a fighting chance? He gets the chance to drive the best car, cos he’s the best driver. 

Of course not, now you're being silly, and I'm not criticising him for what he has achieved. I'm just saying that if he'd happened to be driving an inferior car and/or another talented driver was in the Mercedes seat for those six seasons then I suspect he wouldn't have won the championship as often as he has.

It's not his fault that he's driving the best car. 

You can't say for certain that he is the best driver. The only way you could prove that is if the drivers all had exactly the same car. He may be the best, he may not be. If they were evenly matched I reckon Verstappen and LeClerc would give him a run for his money right now.

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Of course not, now you're being silly, and I'm not criticising him for what he has achieved. I'm just saying that if he'd happened to be driving an inferior car and/or another talented driver was in the Mercedes seat for those six seasons then I suspect he wouldn't have won the championship as often as he has.

It's not his fault that he's driving the best car. 

You can't say for certain that he is the best driver. The only way you could prove that is if the drivers all had exactly the same car. He may be the best, he may not be. If they were evenly matched I reckon Verstappen and LeClerc would give him a run for his money right now.

LeClerc was in the faster car this season 

I think the field will be a lot tighter next season, hopefully, there are three teams challenging at the front of the grid from the start. I think then we will see how good Hamilton is. His consistency under pressure cannot be underestimated, he's a machine behind the wheel. Compare that with Vettell who has wet the bed every time he has been put under any sort of pressure over the last two seasons, Verstappen needs to calm down to consistently put himself at the front of the grid and Leclerc is extremely talented but comes over as naive.

I think it's been pretty clear for sme time now how good Hamilton is. Even in his rookie season he set numerous records when finishing runner-up to Kimi Räikkönen by just one point; most consecutive podium finishes from debut (9), the joint most wins in a debut season (4) and the most points in a debut season (109) all despite not being in the fastest car. He also turned over Alonso who started the season with number 1 status. That's pretty exceptional by anyone's standards.

The next season he won the WDC again despite not being in the quickest car on the grid. Pretty much every driver including Alonso have mooted that he is the outright quickest driver in the game which is why Mercedes pay him top whack and Ferrari are now trying to secure his services for 2021. It's odd that folk don't want to acknowledge as much when the drivers and pretty much everyone in the game are ok doing so.

Do agree that Verstappen is in the ballpark but talented as Le Clerc is, he is not as yet. Ferrari have had a speed advantage all season, which is admittedly only half the story, and while Le Clerc and Verstappen will doubtless improve further, Hamilton is for my money peerless right now. Had Hamilton been in a Ferrari this season it would have been an even greater procession. Were it not for some terrible luck in 2009 and some very dubious tactics employed by Rosberg, he could already have 9 WDCs under his belt. That's absolutely bonkers.

On 02/12/2019 at 19:50, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I think it's been pretty clear for sme time now how good Hamilton is. Even in his rookie season he set numerous records when finishing runner-up to Kimi Räikkönen by just one point; most consecutive podium finishes from debut (9), the joint most wins in a debut season (4) and the most points in a debut season (109) all despite not being in the fastest car. He also turned over Alonso who started the season with number 1 status. That's pretty exceptional by anyone's standards.

The next season he won the WDC again despite not being in the quickest car on the grid. Pretty much every driver including Alonso have mooted that he is the outright quickest driver in the game which is why Mercedes pay him top whack and Ferrari are now trying to secure his services for 2021. It's odd that folk don't want to acknowledge as much when the drivers and pretty much everyone in the game are ok doing so.

Do agree that Verstappen is in the ballpark but talented as Le Clerc is, he is not as yet. Ferrari have had a speed advantage all season, which is admittedly only half the story, and while Le Clerc and Verstappen will doubtless improve further, Hamilton is for my money peerless right now. Had Hamilton been in a Ferrari this season it would have been an even greater procession. Were it not for some terrible luck in 2009 and some very dubious tactics employed by Rosberg, he could already have 9 WDCs under his belt. That's absolutely bonkers.

Agree with most of what you say but 2009 was the braun season, no bad luck on Hamiltons part.

16 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Yep, better memory than mine!

Without googling i seem to recall something or other about the McClaren being a bit rubbish and Hamilton got to 3rd place in one race and got accused id lying about something involving another driver.

Cant remember what though.

Hamilton as you say has usually outperformed his team mates, the year Rosberg won was purely down to mechanical issues with Hamilton.

The only team mate who was a proper equal match was the underrated button.

Rosberg also 'parked' his car during quali, took out Hamilton and played head games all year. Quite telling that he retired the moment his 'master plan' bore fruit.

Jenson was a great driver, smooth as silk. Didn't have the raw pace of Hamilton but was so consistent irrespective of track or conditions. A good guy too, no side to him like some of these guys.

22 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Rosberg also 'parked' his car during quali, took out Hamilton and played head games all year. Quite telling that he retired the moment his 'master plan' bore fruit.

Jenson was a great driver, smooth as silk. Didn't have the raw pace of Hamilton but was so consistent irrespective of track or conditions. A good guy too, no side to him like some of these guys.

Still remember buttons win in Canada that spanned 4 hours. Went from last to first in the later stages of the race.

One of the classics.

Archived